Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
More Gmail Invites!

We offer 3 free Gmail accounts to the best ideas of what you think is still missing at Mobileread.com (as judged by yours truly).
Old 08-04-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
stobs
Connoisseur
stobs is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Hallo,
so I start with all of my spirit (to get gmail):

The most missing feature is making coffee

seriously:
My big interest is sitescooper and .site-files, so
I would prefer the possibility to add that files in a cvs-like folder and let everyone (or only registered users) edit and optimize the files, as in wikipedia.

Another missing feature, for me, is an interface like http://www.heise.de/bin/url2doc with recursive fetching like iSilo does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
We offer 3 free Gmail accounts to the best ideas of what you think is still missing at Mobileread.com (as judged by yours truly).
Advert
Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
jminera
jminera began at the beginning.

In my opinion you need a better slogan. The site is great as far as the layout and the content go but it fails to inform whoever is visiting the site what the site is really about. The definition is very vague. The site does not need anything else at this point except a better explanation in the home page of what to expect form the site.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

My suggestion for what the site could use is a homepage for the mobile version.

I like the portal type homepage on the regular site but it is lacking on the mobile version.

Would also like to see a search option on the mobile version.

I am making these suggestions more for mine and others enjoyment of the mobile version you provide than the GMail invite.

P.S. would not mind the invite tho.

Peace,

David
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
I'll throw a few suggestions into the mix:

How about ebook and/or audio book/audible.com book reviews by staff members on the main page, not just discussions in the forums?

Also, I'd like to see each staff member's "Suggested Reading" and "Currently Reading" lists somewhere on the main webpage.

Keep up the great work!
Advert
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Ah, yah, I like the suggested/currently reading idea. Though it may reveal how embarrassingly slowly I manage to read these days. And the reviews. I've read a couple recently that are worth a mention, for good and ill. Just so ya'll realize, if we start to write enough reviews, Alex will make a section for them and move all the threads there. So if we want one, we just have to get going!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:51 AM   #7
ortaliz
Member Retired
ortaliz began at the beginning.

Device: M515
How about a WAP version so we can read mobileread even while on the road?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:55 AM   #8
ortaliz
Member Retired

Or how about a web based email to all members with the domain of @mobileread.com?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The three free invites go to stobs, jminera, ballistic. Harpgliss and ortaliz, you will get the next two invities as soon as I have some available again (everyone, please PM me with your email address).

If you have more suggestions to add, please feel free to post them here. I just don't have any more invities available at the moment

---
stobs, great idea on the sitescooper/.sites container. I will see what software solution works best to realize this kind of a project.

jminera, thank you for pointing out the vage slogan. Perhaps a one liner should be added to the front page explaining more appropriately what this site is all about. I am not so great with slogans or concise english phrases, but I am sure we'll find a good explanation.

ballistic, this is a great idea. I must add review section for various upcoming projects ASAP, and adding book reviews to it is just one way to enhance our site. The "Currently Reading" list sounds like fun; I must think of a way how I can best implement it.

Harpgliss, is there anything in particular on the frontpage that you would like to see in mobile form? I am not even sure how many people here browse our mobile site. Perhaps a poll is appropriate. As soon as I have time, I will optimize the code, and will also consider adding a search feature.

ortaliz, I was thinking about WAP and to translate the board from HTML to WML. The problem is that WAP is extremely limited and small, and I don't think it is useful to spend too much time on it... unless there is more demand for it, of course Your second suggestion sounds interesting. I am going to discuss with other team members how we could offer @mobileread.com e-mails in future.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Harpgliss, is there anything in particular on the frontpage that you would like to see in mobile form? I am not even sure how many people here actually browse our mobile site. Perhaps a poll is appropriate. As soon as I have time, I will optimize the code, and will also consider adding a search feature.

Hi,

What I would like to see is the new posts and the todays posts parts just as a portal for the mobile content.

I am not sure of the number of users currently availing themselves of the mobile version but I use it several times a week and whenever I am not at home but have access to the increasing number or free WIFI sites popping up.

Thanks for the invite(when you have more) but like I had said in my post above,Just wanted to make a suggestion to help myself as well as others.

Peace,

David
Old 08-05-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
ortaliz
Member Retired

Alexander,

Thanks for the invite (when you have more) I really appreciate it. For the free email, what the forum administrators did in www.mapalad.org is to give it away only to members with 100 or more valid posts. It definitely stirred up a lot of good informative posts from the board by people wanting to get the free email. You might want to check out www.mapalad.org to get some more ideas. The forum administrator there is "babynino" and he is quite good too.

Mark
Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #12
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Alexander & ignatz,

Thanks for the kind words and the gmail invite! I'm kinda new around here and have been feeling my way around, but I'm a huge mobile content fan, especially audio books. I want to get more into ebooks on my recently acquired Tapwave Zodiac 2 using the bundled PalmReader as a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
ballistic, this is a great idea. I must add review section for various upcoming projects ASAP, and adding book reviews to it is just one way to enhance our site. The "Currently Reading" list sounds like fun; I must think of a way how I can best implement it.
I envisioned having your name in the left border of the page with an image of the book cover(s) under "Alexander is currently reading" or "Alexander's suggested reading". Clicking on the book cover would take you to a link with a review and places to buy the book in different formats (audio, audible, ebook).

Regards,

Ballistic

Last edited by ballistic; 08-05-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Closed Thread