Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #106
Lydovig
Zealot
Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I updated it to support 8bpp framebuffers. This is horribly untested and might have even broken 4bpp support. Report success or bugs if you like to, it's welcome. Plus as I don't own 8bpp devices, I could not yet create a collection of key codes for these devices (well, it's probably restricted to the K4 anyways, the K5 would need touchscreen handling).
The game starts on Kindle Touch 5.0.0, but the virtual keyboard of the terminal there is no reaction.
Lydovig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #107
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
OK, thanks. I probably won't go much further, though. Since the input is (tried to be) read from Linux input devices (/dev/input/...) and not from Xorg or the console, I'm not surprised that software keyboards do not work. That would probably need a more sensible drop-in specifically addressing the touch input. I'm lacking a test device (and before you collect to get me one, read the following and the time/devotion to do this myself.

Even the K4 will need some adaption w/ regard to key codes, I think. This should be more simple in comparison, but again that isn't a job for me, sorry.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #108
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydovig View Post
The game starts on Kindle Touch 5.0.0, but the virtual keyboard of the terminal there is no reaction.
Do you mean the touchscreen doesn't work?

or do you mean you can't load a game.

if you mean you cant load the game:

I hacked the loader script : replace $(getkeys) with ${@}

and call it like gameboy.sh tetris

it will assume you have it in /mnt/us/opt/gboy I think
and roms in /mnt/us/opt/gboy/roms/

Like: /mnt/us/opt/gboy/roms/tetris.g*

Then it will just run the game.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING VERSION EXPECTS THE GAME AND ROMS TO BE IN CUSTOM FOLDERS

NOT THE DEFAULT /mnt/us/opt/gboy

CHANGE IT TO YOUR NEEDS!!!

Spoiler:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#===================================================

# killall -stop cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -stop cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad
cd /mnt/us/usr/bin/
eips -c;

HOME=/tmp ./fbgnuboy ./rom/"${@}".g* 2>gnuboy.log
# killall -cont cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -cont cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad

If you mean the TS doesn't work -
well, "No," I don't expect it does yet.

Hawhill doesn't have a 5. work required.

Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 10-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #109
Lydovig
Zealot
Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: kindle touch
hawhill

Thank you. You have done a lot. Maybe someone can write the correct boot script.
Lydovig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #110
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydovig View Post
hawhill

Thank you. You have done a lot. Maybe someone can write the correct boot script.
./gameboy.sh

Spoiler:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#===================================================

# killall -stop cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -stop cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad
cd /mnt/us/opt/gboy
eips -c;
HOME=/tmp ./fbgnuboy ./rom/"${@}".g* 2>gnuboy.log
# killall -cont cvm launchpad 2>$DN	# use if running via Kite
killall -cont cvm 			# use if running via Launchpad

that should work for you if you installed to the recommended /mnt/us/opt/gboy location

called like ./gameboy.sh romName
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #111
06harrisj
06harrisj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Wifi
This looks like an awesome app, and I'd love to try it out, but please could someone tell me how to install it? I've jailbroken my Kindle 3 Wifi, but have no idea what to do with the files I've downloaded from page 1. If preferable/possible, please PM me. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
06harrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #112
twobob

just to confirm... I tested it via VNC on a 5.

games can be started and the demo watched but input mapping would still need to be fixed as no keys are passed.

Also the FB does not update. (on the eink)
Perhaps a fix for this general FB hogging behaviour will come to light in the future.

: )
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #113
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
excellent, more k4-compatible goodies thanks!

it starts fine on a k4, but yeah the button codes will need some tweaking. i tried tetris, i can move the selection between "1 player" and "2 player" using the fiveway left&right, but can't press start to get any further. it just went into demo mode tho and looks like it runs really well.

in case you don't have them handy, here's the k4 key codes from a text file i saved a while ago...

Code:
prev page right 109
next page right 191
prev page left 193
next page left 104
back 158
keyboard 29
menu 139
home 102
centre 194
left 105
right 106
up 103
down 108

edit: my 100th post! watch out geekmaster, i've nearly caught you up...

Last edited by hippy dave; 10-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #114
twobob

Okay. One. Tiny question.

well two. kinda.

Q1) how tough will it be to scale up to larger screen size.
Q2) Do you mind if I drop an eips'' in, dirty but effective on the 5.

Thanks. I'm looking in the code now.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #115
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

i think scaling might have been discussed earlier in the thread?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #116
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
And eips works fine on all the kindles, but it may be a bit slow on the K3 and earlier. Fine for testing and debugging though...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #117
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
edit: my 100th post! watch out geekmaster, i've nearly caught you up...
Yeah, right! I do almost that many posts in a single day, some days. I would sure like to see you try, though, especially if they contain useful content that increases the usefulness of our kindles.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #118
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
i think scaling might have been discussed earlier in the thread?
Yup. but the code has changed some so perhaps the thoughts had changed some. perhaps not
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #119
hippy dave
Zealot

ah fair enough
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #120
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill
That said, I have an algorithm in mind that would always look at two source pixels and create a factor-6 dither out of them. That would increase the resulting display to 480x432. Going to a 4x4 factor, the screen wouldn't be big enough. We would get a width of 640px, where the K3 only has 600px. Also, the update speed would suffer a lot.
which was how I remember it being left. not highly conclusive...

and I always thought turning the FB on its side might have merit... suppose I may get to find out