Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Splashfart
Splashfart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Output Format Query

How do i increase the number of characters in the book or folder title? The output from Calibre when converting to MOBI will only give the title around 40 characters. I'd like to increase it to around 60. Is this possible. I can't seem to find the setting.
Thank you
Splashfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds as if you are trying to manipulate the calibre internal file/folder structure? You should NOT do this.

If you want to get a book out of calibre then use the "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device" commands. With these there should be no limit applied as far as I know to the file/folder names other than overall limits imposed by the host OS..

Last edited by itimpi; 08-23-2010 at 07:01 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If you're using Send to Device there is a limit on the number of characters in the full path. It is 255 I believe because that is a limitation of the file system used by most ebook reader. In this case you would need to manipulate the other parts of the file name, meaning don't use sub folders or use less sub folders.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Splashfart
Splashfart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for your replies. I am saving the output to disk and that is where the problem is. The title is correct in Calibre and not on disk, it is a couple of letters shoret. I an close to the root directory so the 255 limit should not be applicable.
Splashfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashfart View Post
Thank you for your replies. I am saving the output to disk and that is where the problem is. The title is correct in Calibre and not on disk, it is a couple of letters shoret. I an close to the root directory so the 255 limit should not be applicable.
Just to be sure - you are using the Calibre GUI interface, you are selecting a book, and you are using "Save to Disk" to save it - correct?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Just to be sure - you are using the Calibre GUI interface, you are selecting a book, and you are using "Save to Disk" to save it - correct?
Excellent point of clarification.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for an answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote