Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Yup, does work. You can move the "return to text" link for older/other devices to the end of the footnote (looks nicer) and not ruin the layout!

Code:
body.xhtml . . .

<p>Blah blah bleach blah<a href="../Text/footnotes.xhtml#fn01" id="ft01">[1]</a> bloop beep burp bing.</p>

<h2><a href="../Text/footnotes.xhtml#fn01null" id="ft01null"></a>Chapter 2, it is</h2>

footnotes.xhtml
<p><a href="../Text/body.xhml#ft01" id="fn01"></a> Please note, the foot. <a href="../Text/body.xhtml#ft01">Click here to return to text</a></p>

<h4><a href="../Text/footnotes.xhtml#ft01null" id="fn01null"></a>Footnotes for Chapter 2</p>
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you have a book with a lot of endnotes, it's very common to have headings in the endnotes indicating which chapter of the book those notes refer to.

Eg,

Chapter 1

Note 1
Note 2
Note 3

Chapter 2

Note 1

Etc.

It makes it a lot easier to find your way around if you're browsing through the notes. Very common in the "Penguin Classics" series, for example, which typically has many notes in each chapter.
Maybe I'm having one of my notorious, "Hitch is being thick" moments, but I can't say I've ever seen heading or chapter text in the footnotes pop-ups, and we have scads of clients that use those dividers/distinctions in the endnotes. I'll have to invest some time to look at it, but...no, don't think I've ever seen simple text outside of the link returned IN the link pop-up.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Maybe I'm having one of my notorious, "Hitch is being thick" moments, but I can't say I've ever seen heading or chapter text in the footnotes pop-ups, and we have scads of clients that use those dividers/distinctions in the endnotes. I'll have to invest some time to look at it, but...no, don't think I've ever seen simple text outside of the link returned IN the link pop-up.

Hitch
No, I'm not saying that such text should appear in the footnote text - simply that there are valid reasons for wanting it in the footnote file, so you see it when you read the footnotes as a part of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I'm not saying that such text should appear in the footnote text - simply that there are valid reasons for wanting it in the footnote file, so you see it when you read the footnotes as a part of the book.
Hi, Harry:

No, I thought one of the other posters said or implied that, or that's how I read it? My query wasn't directed at you; it simply came next-in-sequence after your post.

Hitch
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, I thought one of the other posters said or implied that, or that's how I read it?
They did. The claim is that the popup shows all text between the first opening <a> tag and the next opening <a> tag.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They did. The claim is that the popup shows all text between the first opening <a> tag and the next opening <a> tag.
Well, then, I guess we gotta go see it. Hmph. I can't say as I've seen that before, but then again, not sure I was looking.

Hitch
Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #22
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

You might have formatted your footnotes properly or perhaps it ignores <h tags... My "headings" were <p><b>Heading</b></p> ...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #23
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Oh, interesting. You don't need to put the footnotes in a page called footnotes - I've got a book with them at the end of chapters, but they have the link-loop (although they only use <a href="#ch1fn1">) and so still pop up an inline box on the PW2. Nice!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Like I mentioned earlier; I think it would be pretty hard to NOT get "normally"-coded footnotes to pop-up an inline box on the devices that support them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #25
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier; I think it would be pretty hard to NOT get "properly"-coded footnotes to pop-up an inline box on the devices that support them.
There, I fixed it just have to be a little careful with the code...

Biggest gripe is that ampersands don't work... so any &amp; type character gives an error in the box.

Last edited by Kamikuza; 01-26-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #26
Simon_M
Penguin eBook Coordinator
Simon_M began at the beginning.

Device: Many
This is great, thanks - I'm going to experiment with Kindle popup footnotes soon, so I'll add any notes as they come up. Really useful initial testing, cheers!
Simon_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
ukzembla
ukzembla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It seems to me that it would be hard to NOT make inline pop-up references work (on the Kindles that support them) as long as you use the (relatively) standard way footnote links are always constructed.
Hm, so because the way Old Kindle jumped back from endnotes to note cues, I'd actually automated moving the anchors from the note back to the main text back a few words, so the first thing on your screen when you jumped back wasn't just an asterisk / number - you had some context.

It turns out that if you implement popup notes in the same way that works on iBooks for example (with epub:type, aside, etc), they DO pop up in the Kindle, BUT the Kindle expects the cue reference to contain both the "href" to the note and the "id" back from the endnote. If you separate the anchor as I did, it mysteriously concatenates a random number of endnotes (not all of them, and not all the time).

...so in conclusion, not so simple. Or at all clear. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
ukzembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #28
ukzembla
ukzembla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
…one thing to point out is that Kindle disregards any formatting in the popup so italics (for example) will be lost in the popup, but preserved if you click on the "Go to footnotes" button. I assume they'll fix this at some point in the future. Or has anyone managed to get this to work? iBooks does the same.
ukzembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #29
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

No, it does formatting - <i> for italics works, and <small> or font-size works too. The only thing I've come across that gives an error is the ampersand sign...

I'm doing my epubs as simple as possible, but with the focus on them working on the Kindle, my sole reading device.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Question Calibre & KF8 footnotes

It looks like Calibre has some bugs regarding footnotes when converting epub to azw3/KF8. When old mobi made with Calibre from same exact epub footnotes are OK, pop up windows show only one footnote. If I convert that same epub with KindleGen single footnote opens in pop up windows, same correct behavior for combo mobi file and mobi and KF8 file after splitting the combo one with KindleUnpack plugin for Calibre.

The only difference in html code that I've noticed when comparing original epub vs Kindlegen generated file (and the same case for Kindlegen KF8 split vs Calibre generated KF8/azw3) is that Kindlegen file has ID first and href after ID, as in:

Code:
Original epub:

<a href="../Text/Section0067.xhtml#_ftn1" id="_ftnref1" title=""><sup>[1]</sup></a>

Kindlegen azw3:

<a id="_ftnref1" title="" href="part0035.xhtml#_ftn1"><sup>[1]</sup></a>

Calibre azw3:

<a href="part0037.xhtml#_ftn1" id="_ftnref1" title=""><sup class="calibre7">[1]</sup></a>
And Calibre azw3 always ends up with "href first, ID second" sequence even if I reverse the ID/href in source epub. Also, I've tried editing azw3 file with Calibre book editor and after I save the changes and open azw3 file again in book editor it's again reordered to be "href first, ID second", so I can't check if footnotes would work in correct way after changing just the order of ID and href for Calibre generated azw3 book.

For Calibre azw3 clicking on some footnotes jumps to html file at the end of the book, and for some opens popup windows but shows multiple footones and a scroll bar.

Like this:

Tested on Kindle PW1 with fw 5.4.4. Of course all the footnotes are marked up the same way within the same book.
I've attached a zip of original epub and Calibre generated azw3 file, is someone want's to check on their own Kindle devices. "Napomene" in ToC = Fusnotes/Endnotes html file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Igra_test.zip (1.16 MB, 231 views)

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote