Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #31
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It took me a bit to get used to. But, the last couple of novels I have read have been from Kobo, bringing up the stats quickly has been nice.

I asked the question about powering off because I was wondering if the database was corrupt or anything else happened. But, this is worse. When it is like this, does pressing the pinhole reset button do anything?
I imagine it would reset it. I can reset it using the slider so I haven't bothered. Generally I am reading in bed and haven't a pen or turkey skewer handy

Before the reset problem I had the please reformat to FAT32 problem you have seen in a recent thread. I connected to calibre and it went away only to be replaced with the reset thing which seems to solely mine so far. Proud owner etc.. I could delete the database or overwrite it with the one that was on it before I upgraded to 3.0.0. etc. etc. I shall do one or the other soon probably. I will probably downgrade 2.9 eventually but that is hard for me to do. I am an upgrader by nature

I thought the stats were cute at first, but they seem less than accurate and the awards are for some reason mildly annoying the second time around. Maybe they were cute on the mini and not on the HD.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I imagine it would reset it. I can reset it using the slider so I haven't bothered. Generally I am reading in bed and haven't a pen or turkey skewer handy
I think I'm glad to hear you didn't have a turkey skewer handy
Quote:
Before the reset problem I had the please reformat to FAT32 problem you have seen in a recent thread. I connected to calibre and it went away only to be replaced with the reset thing which seems to solely mine so far. Proud owner etc.. I could delete the database or overwrite it with the one that was on it before I upgraded to 3.0.0. etc. etc. I shall do one or the other soon probably. I will probably downgrade 2.9 eventually but that is hard for me to do. I am an upgrader by nature
Yes, it does seem to be just you. Maybe it is jealous of your Sony readers

It doesn't sound like a problem that replacing the database would fix. Unless it is preventing it from actually shutting down. But, if that was the case, it would be using power.

Have you tried reapplying 3.0.0? Maybe something didn't install properly. Manually installing it might over write something properly. Apply the fill package, not just the KoboRoot.tgz.
Quote:
I thought the stats were cute at first, but they seem less than accurate and the awards are for some reason mildly annoying the second time around. Maybe they were cute on the mini and not on the HD.
I like the graph of the chapters. It gives me a good idea of where I am both in the book and current chapter. But, I ignore the times, And I agree on the awards. They are a good idea that didn't work. And when you do a factory reset, they just pop up again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #33
gaga55
gaga55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kindle Voyage & Oasis & Oasis 2
Quote:
There are a few bugs that have affected books on the SD card differently to the main memory. I haven't seen it but I mainly use the main memory.

In the driver configuration, the "Save Template" sets where the books are put on the device. There is also a "Use sub-directories" option. You can set the template so that it doesn't create directories. I think unchecking the option also prevents this, but it has been ages since I tried it. There isn't a way to have different options for the main memory and the SD card.
Thanks davidfor, that worked (after doing it in the correct plugin... )

I did some more tests today, and when using Calibre to copy the books to the SD card, I get the issues again.
So I think it is happening when the books are on the SD card, I hope Kobo is going to fix that at some point.
gaga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I'm glad to hear you didn't have a turkey skewer handy

Yes, it does seem to be just you. Maybe it is jealous of your Sony readers

It doesn't sound like a problem that replacing the database would fix. Unless it is preventing it from actually shutting down. But, if that was the case, it would be using power.

Have you tried reapplying 3.0.0? Maybe something didn't install properly. Manually installing it might over write something properly. Apply the fill package, not just the KoboRoot.tgz.

I like the graph of the chapters. It gives me a good idea of where I am both in the book and current chapter. But, I ignore the times, And I agree on the awards. They are a good idea that didn't work. And when you do a factory reset, they just pop up again.
I'll try it tomorrow. I did a manual install but just the tgz

Helen
Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga55 View Post
Thanks davidfor, that worked (after doing it in the correct plugin... )
One of my favourite things to do
Quote:
I did some more tests today, and when using Calibre to copy the books to the SD card, I get the issues again.
So I think it is happening when the books are on the SD card, I hope Kobo is going to fix that at some point.
I just had a play. Put the same epub on both the main memory and the SD card. There were no problems with the copy on the main memory. But, for the copy on the SD card...

At first there wasn't a problem. Then I put the Glo to sleep. After that, the in-margin page numbers appeared. Paging through the text, when the next file is reached, the font and line spacing changed. The next file is usually a chapter, but I happened to test with a book that had a couple of mid chapter file breaks.

It looks like the problem is:

- epub on SD card
- Put the device to sleep while reading
- After waking, at next chapter/file, the font will change
- And the in-margin page numbers appear after the sleep.
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard

So why do you suppose this is? And why do these things or other things happen after a sleep of a longer duration? I am just puzzled over this.

It is not that I have to have my books on the SD card but I prefer to, and am wondering as to the master plan. Surely it would have been cheaper just to not have an SD card slot at all.

Sorry for ranting like a lunatic, but it makes no sense.

Helen
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll try it tomorrow. I did a manual install but just the tgz
This should have been a full upgrade, not just the tgz. Hopefully that explains the problems.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So why do you suppose this is? And why do these things or other things happen after a sleep of a longer duration? I am just puzzled over this.

It is not that I have to have my books on the SD card but I prefer to, and am wondering as to the master plan. Surely it would have been cheaper just to not have an SD card slot at all.

Sorry for ranting like a lunatic, but it makes no sense.
With the way your AuraHD has been behaving, you're allowed a bit of a rant.

There have been a few bugs with the difference between handling on the main memory and the SD card. This one is a bit strange as it needs the sleep to trigger it. It probably means something is unloaded and incorrectly reloaded. Hopefully Kobo will have it fixed for the next firmware.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:

- epub on SD card
Brilliant, davidfor! Most importantly, from my point of view, you've given us a workaround: return Home before you put your Kobo to sleep. Works for me.

Elegant! Thanks again.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:

- epub on SD card
Yes! This is exactly what is happening. When I upgraded my FW, I did the full install (not just the .tgz file), and the problem still occurs for me. (Not sure if you suspected that might be part of the problem or not, so just a data point for you.) I will try returning to the home screen before putting my Aura to sleep to see if that helps. Thanks!
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #41
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I will try returning to the home screen before putting my Aura to sleep to see if that helps. Thanks!
Returning to the home screen, either before OR after I wake my Aura HD from sleep OR when the font changes size, works the same way that fiddling with the Aa menu does. The only difference is that if I return to the home screen before I put my Aura HD to sleep, I don't have to fiddle with anything after waking the Aura HD and re-opening the book, which is much nicer. So I will do that until Kobo fixes the problem. IF Kobo fixes the problem. Thanks for the workaround.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
This should have been a full upgrade, not just the tgz. Hopefully that explains the problems.
I installed the 3.0.1 firmware full package and no change. Still resets if off for several minutes. Still has the same cover issue except that now it will display the blank cover, then the real cover and then in one instance it changed the real cover to the blank cover a minute or so after it was sleeping. (By blank cover I mean two box outlines with the title in the center.) I guess my Aura HD is only pretending to sleep.

Helen
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #43
speakingtohe
Wizard

It just did the blank cover thing again after about a minute. And now the sleeping box says powered off. This is new behavior with 3.0.1

Helen
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
It just did the blank cover thing again after about a minute. And now the sleeping box says powered off. This is new behavior with 3.0.1

Helen
How does it do with font resizing and marginal page numbers?
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #45
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
How does it do with font resizing and marginal page numbers?
I haven't had the patience to check yet. I imagine it is much the same but I will keep you informed

Helen

Tags
fonts, kobo, margins, numbering