Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
EbookNoob
EbookNoob began at the beginning.

Device: all
Question @page css

I am not sure where the @page css is supposed to be placed. If I have the following to set my page margins:

@page {
margin-top: 6pt;
margin-right: 6pt;
margin-left: 6pt;
}

Does this go in my Style0001.css file or does it have to be placed in every html file I want it applied to? If it has to go in each and every file what code would it be placed between? I currently have it in my style sheet but the Sigil book view is not affected when I make changes. All the other rules in my style sheet are working, so I was wondering why not this one?

Last edited by EbookNoob; 05-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
EbookNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you do use @page, older versions of ADE that have the page number in the right margin will have the page number shifted to the left. Because of this, it's not a good idea to use @page to set margins.

Oh and so others can see, this thread does not belong in the Sigil forum as it has nothing at all to do with Sigil. It belongs in the ePub forum.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you do use @page, older versions of ADE that have the page number in the right margin will have the page number shifted to the left. Because of this, it's not a good idea to use @page to set margins.

Oh and so others can see, this thread does not belong in the Sigil forum as it has nothing at all to do with Sigil. It belongs in the ePub forum.
do you have an idea where it belongs (at MR )? I can move it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I personally put it in the stylesheet. The @page is a bit peculiar and personally I do not use it for left and right margins, only for top and bottom. If you do use it for left and right margins, you can have the effect that JSWolf describes. Left and right margin (should you want to set it), can be set in the HTML or BODY tag.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I was under the impression that it is better to have the @page in it's own stylesheet. Some of the older (ADE?) devices ignore the entire style sheet if it has @page, so you keep it separate from all your other css...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre fairly recently, moved Page stuff to its own stylesheet
Probably for the reasons given
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an old PRS-300 (a fairly old device and ADE based) and it does not ignore the @page.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

My PEz is 2009, It does not ignore it either.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
EbookNoob

Can anyone tell me how to delete posts. The faq section says to hit the edit button but doesn't explain in detail what to do next. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Last edited by EbookNoob; 05-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
EbookNoob

Thanks everyone! One more quick question? Should I set a bottom margin? It seems to me that these readers have automatic top and bottom margins built in because on the nook the book title is displayed along the top of the page and the page number is displayed along the bottom. With margins set to 0 on top and bottom the text still never overlaps into these areas. The only reason I set a top margin was due to the fact that the book title along the top of the screen looks like part of the body text if there isn't a bigger margin then what is already there. The text near the bottom of the page never even really gets close to the built in displayed page numbers on the bottom of the screen.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard

It is actually up to personal taste. I have a small margin of 5pt to have some separation. I find it easier to read. YMMV
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNoob View Post
Can anyone tell me how to delete posts. The faq section says to hit the edit button but doesn't explain in detail what to do next. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
Board practice is to Leave posts (others can use as a learning tool)
You could edit and add SOLVED to the END if that strike your fancy.

Mods can Move or remove duplicate posts.
The forum Mod list is at the bottom of the main forum page. Just slide one of them a PM
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I was under the impression that it is better to have the @page in it's own stylesheet. Some of the older (ADE?) devices ignore the entire style sheet if it has @page, so you keep it separate from all your other css...
I wasn't aware of this, is there a source somewhere for more info?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I get most of my info from MR, so it was here somewhere. I wasn't sure if it was ADE based or not...Also it could have been something I read when I was in the alternate universe...

Let me see if I can search it out.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
@page, css, margins