Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
sp00ki
sp00ki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600 Touch Edition™
"Best" format to convert to (from .lit)?

Hello.
I'm a new PRS-600 owner, and have recently begun converting a few of my LIT files for use on my Touch Edition using Calibre.

I've had mixed results so far... EPub is almost consistently a no-go; PDF seems to work, but never gives me anything readable.

So far, LTF has been my best bet, but the page number changes upon font resize (so if i'm reading along with a friend, "the scene on page 30" is meaningless).

Does anyone know of a file format that works "best" for converting LIT to?

Or perhaps tips to make the conversion process a bit easer? I'm still in my learning curve (this is day two), so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What about ePub makes it a no-go for you? Perhaps folks can help get you a better conversion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Also, if it's a conversion issue, you might want to ask about it down in the calibre forum.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Try clit to get it from lit to txt then convert via calibre

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
Try clit to get it from lit to txt then convert via calibre

p
Calibre will convert the LIT directly. IMO, TXT would be the worst format to take things to as you lose things like italics. You can use C-Lit to explode the LIT and get the underlying HTML, but I doubt the conversion results will look any different.

Depending on the problems with the ePub you can often do a bit of hand editing with Sigil after converting with Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
Hello.
I'm a new PRS-600 owner, and have recently begun converting a few of my LIT files for use on my Touch Edition using Calibre.

EPub is almost consistently a no-go.

So far, LTF has been my best bet, but the page number changes upon font resize (so if i'm reading along with a friend, "the scene on page 30" is meaningless).

Does anyone know of a file format that works "best" for converting LIT to?
It's simple if the lit is properly formatted then it will consistently convert to ePub without error.

If the lit file is garbage (previously converted from pdf) then it will convert like garbage. You can usually tell by looking at the lit file, if it doesn't have clean paragraphs, if sentences stop suddenly to be started again a line down then it is not likely to convert to anything well.

I convert all my files to ePub using Calibre and I change the font size, indent all paragraphs and put a line between each paragraph. This is how I like my books and a well formatted lit file is the best source I could ask for.

People in the Calibre forum could give you more specific pointers.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I've had my best results converting LIT files to ePub using a multistep process. I use Amber Lit Converter to go from LIT to RTF. Edit/format the file to my liking in MS Word, then save as filtered HTM. I then use Calibre to convert the HTM to ePub.
It sounds like a lot of bother, but if, as dwanthny said, you have a poorly formatted LIT file, this works best for me.
I do all my formatting, page breaks, paragraph spacing, etc. in Word, because I haven't figured out the fine points of tweaking HTML code with Calibre.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
I've had my best results converting LIT files to ePub using a multistep process. I use Amber Lit Converter to go from LIT to RTF. Edit/format the file to my liking in MS Word, then save as filtered HTM. I then use Calibre to convert the HTM to ePub.
It sounds like a lot of bother, but if, as dwanthny said, you have a poorly formatted LIT file, this works best for me.
I do all my formatting, page breaks, paragraph spacing, etc. in Word, because I haven't figured out the fine points of tweaking HTML code with Calibre.
You are risking make one hell of a mess of your ePub. ABC Amber LIT Converter uses code from a buggy version of Convert LIT. The you add all kinds of crap when you use Word. The best idea is to use Calibre to convert the LIT to ePub and then use Sigil to edit the CSS and you'll end up with a nice looking CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love all the different ways people solve the same problem. This means there is no clear winner but lots of solutions. Any others?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Nine times out of ten, if I have a lit. file to begin with, I run it through the wringer using Book Designer. I can make any edits that I need to on the source material within BD. When finished editing, I output the file to LRF, and then convert to ePub with Calibre. I have found that the vast majority of problems that arise with conversions are due to improperly formatted source material. Ultimately, if you put garbage in, you get garbage out.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
LIT makes beautiful LRF files. I do the same thing that AlbertaCowboy does, though --- I run the LIT through the wringer of Book Designer first before giving it to Calibre to convert to LRF. LRF still looks better than ePub on Sony devices, although I guess the handwriting is on the wall that it is a dying format...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Calibre lists an order of preference for best formats to convert from. I believe that .lit is the best. I have never had a properly formatted lit file come out anything less than perfect. I always convert to both epub and lrf and send lrfs to the device.

This is a Calibre question that would best be posted in the Calibre forum.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Just because most of us use Calibre in converting does not automatically make the original thread topic "a Calibre question". My take on the original thread was that sp00ki was using lit. files as a source and was having trouble with formatting.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Just because most of us use Calibre in converting does not automatically make the original thread topic "a Calibre question". My take on the original thread was that sp00ki was using lit. files as a source and was having trouble with formatting.
Then the answer would depend on which conversion tool sp00ki was using. Since he/she already said Calibre then I think that getting help in the Calibre thread would be more productive. I was just trying to direct the OP to the best source of information.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just convert to LRF and tell your friend, "the scene where such-and-such happens" instead of "the scene on page 30."

Problem solved.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote