Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-31-2023, 06:23 AM   #1
ebookscovers
Enthusiast
ebookscovers began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini 2
Sigil superscript line spacing

HI there. very much a newbie with all CSS. see my screenshot of how my superscript looks in Kindle previewer. It's fine. only issue I have is the spacing above the line is too big and needs to be same spacing above without interfering with the superscript. how do I amend this globally? what is the exact code required to fix this AND what do I insert the code. see all screenshots. Help. David

Last edited by ebookscovers; 03-31-2023 at 08:15 AM.
ebookscovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Don’t see the image…

Also, can you post the css you are using so we can see where the problem lies?

My initial thought is that you are using line-height inappropriately, but not sure.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

uploaded screenshots

thanks. thought I'd uploaded. see attached issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superscriptkindle.png
Views:	97
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	200708   Click image for larger version

Name:	sigilshot.png
Views:	81
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	200709  
Old 03-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
In french books, with Mme and Mlle frequently superscripted, I found things like this:
Code:
sup { 
  font-variant: normal;
  line-height: 0;
}
or this:
Code:
.t6 {
    font-size: smaller;
    vertical-align: text-top
    }
That's working quite well for me.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
In french books, with Mme and Mlle frequently superscripted, I found things like this:
Code:
sup { 
  font-variant: normal;
  line-height: 0;
}
or this:
Code:
.t6 {
    font-size: smaller;
    vertical-align: text-top
    }
That's working quite well for me.
In a rendered, post-Publishing Workflow, for-sale Kindle eBook? You're not seeing any distinction between the lines above/below superscripted or footnotes lines? Or do you mean in Previewer?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:47 AM   #6
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
I have no Kindle, but a Kobo, and don't know if general CSS-rules are applicable.
But in my books, I use something with the line-height: 0;-rule.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I have no Kindle, but a Kobo, and don't know if general CSS-rules are applicable.
But in my books, I use something with the line-height: 0;-rule.
Okay, so you're not testing that on a live Kindle, post-publishing, then?

I ask b/c Amazon pretty rgularly and routinely forces the line-heights to be what it wants them to be. The 1.2em-line-height for regular text is a hard-and-fast rule and no matter what you do, in the body text, it won't change to 1.2 o4 1.4 or anything else. (You can do that for small bits of text, don't get me wrong, but not the body.)

And vis: superscripts and the like--the lines above and below, depending, are always shifted slightly, to make room for the (sized) fonts. The lines above move up, to make room for the superscripted text, the tallest character that might exist, in that font with that styling and the subscript does the same thing to the line below.

Beieve me, we've used coding very much like yours, but...it seems to be overridden at the PW.

Same reason that most users cannot make a viable Dropcap. Same exact coding.

Hitch
Old 03-31-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

yes its kindle previewer I used to make sure all looks fine before publishing. I will give drop in the code and see if works. you are right though Amazon tend to override a lot of settings
Old 03-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, so you're not testing that on a live Kindle, post-publishing, then?

I ask b/c Amazon pretty rgularly and routinely forces the line-heights to be what it wants them to be. The 1.2em-line-height for regular text is a hard-and-fast rule and no matter what you do, in the body text, it won't change to 1.2 o4 1.4 or anything else. (You can do that for small bits of text, don't get me wrong, but not the body.)

And vis: superscripts and the like--the lines above and below, depending, are always shifted slightly, to make room for the (sized) fonts. The lines above move up, to make room for the superscripted text, the tallest character that might exist, in that font with that styling and the subscript does the same thing to the line below.

Beieve me, we've used coding very much like yours, but...it seems to be overridden at the PW.

Same reason that most users cannot make a viable Dropcap. Same exact coding.

Hitch
I've noticed that the previewer screws with the line-height. So anything that could have an effect on line-height needs a Kindle Reader to do a proper previews.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:15 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, why is this thread in Sigil when it's talking about Kindle eBooks? It should be in Kindle Formats forum (IMHO).
Old 03-31-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

still the same issue when I put in code. Kindle previewer still pushes line up above the superscript. maybe the best thing going forward is to avoid using superscripts and just write 21st as is??
Old 03-31-2023, 11:24 AM   #12
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

I'm using Sigil to clean up the code in ebook.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:31 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookscovers View Post
I'm using Sigil to clean up the code in ebook.
Perfect reason. Sigil is about editing CODE , not what the device.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Perfect reason. Sigil is about editing CODE , not what the device.
But this is about the code for use on a Kindle. Not about how to use Sigil. If I was asking about this same issue using a different editor, I'd still put it in the Kindle Formats forum.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:24 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookscovers View Post
still the same issue when I put in code. Kindle previewer still pushes line up above the superscript. maybe the best thing going forward is to avoid using superscripts and just write 21st as is??
Yes, which is what I mentioned earlier. When it's rendered, the lines will be taller, period.

Just...either switch to bracketed entries, eg. [1], or just live with it. You really can't force a device to NOT leave enough room for the tallest or longest letter, in a font family, after all, now can you? :-)

Hitch