Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
jbenwell
jbenwell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Koreader/Nickel Shared Folders

I apologize if this is documented. I looked around and couldn't find an answer.

Is there a folder that the KOReader Dropbox plugin can sync books to, which is also visible to Nickle?

I have the "don't scan hidden folders" option turned on. I'd prefer to keep it on.

Thanks!
Jason
jbenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Everything shoud be visible to Nickel unless you have a seriously twisty setup (i.e., a base library *inside* a hidden folder), but that would imply knowing what you were doing (which usually involved *not* letting Nickel see stuff), so, you wouldn't be here asking this question .

So, the most obvious answer is simply: Nickel doesn't rescan for new content outside of in-nickel USBMS sessions. But, NickelMenu allows you to do that on-demand instead, so, do that .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
jbenwell

Thanks very much. NickelMenu worked.

I thought Nickel would do a content refresh on reboot, but it doesn't
Old 06-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that confused me too when first switching from a Kindle, where the framework does do it on startup .
Old 06-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
jbenwell

I also added menu options to restart and shut down. It saves having to go into Koreader to do that

I believe Nickel Menu persists across firmware updates. Is there a way to add a menu option / command to reinstall Koreader after such an update? It'd be nice to get it running again without a computer.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

KOReader isn't affected by a Nickel update.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Actually I've hit the reverse situation where books visible to Nickel were not found by KOreader. Those books were brought over to my Kobo via Dropbox synchronization. That directory is deep rooted in the directory tree, and is hidden from Kobo. Is there a way to make KOreader see that location?
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzel View Post
Actually I've hit the reverse situation where books visible to Nickel were not found by KOreader. Those books were brought over to my Kobo via Dropbox synchronization. That directory is deep rooted in the directory tree, and is hidden from Kobo. Is there a way to make KOreader see that location?
The file manager has an option to show hidden files. Enable it and navigate to your dropbox folder.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
jbenwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
KOReader isn't affected by a Nickel update.
You're right, of course. I believe that KFMon requires reinstallation. Is there a way to do that, or to launch KOReader without KFMon or with some other launcher that does persist?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
mzel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
The file manager has an option to show hidden files. Enable it and navigate to your dropbox folder.
I understand that, but this will browse all the system directories too, not sure if that has some negative side effect on time of opening of the file manager, or on what is displayed.
Will be placing a symbolic link to the hidden location sufficient to bypass the issue?
Old 06-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mzel: Can't symlink, it's FAT32. I don't quite remember where Dropbox is sync'ed to, but if it's inside .kobo, we, err, blacklist that regardless of showing hidden files or not ^^.

I'll double-check on the Forma, because the stock Dropbox sync'ing is so meh' that I'll admit I hadn't thought of that when implementing the blacklist (the main goal was preventing getting lost in there, because DRM & thumbnails & nickel settings).

@jbenwell: The OCP ships example configs for switching to a plain NM setup.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-07-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
I'll double-check on the Forma, because the stock Dropbox sync'ing is so meh' that I'll admit I hadn't thought of that when implementing the blacklist (the main goal was preventing getting lost in there, because DRM & thumbnails & nickel settings).
And, of course, it's in .kobo/dropbox :/.

That's... annoying :/.

I can't really offer you a better solution that just manually patching out the .kobo blacklist: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hooser.lua#L34

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-07-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
mzel
Connoisseur

Quote:
And, of course, it's in .kobo/dropbox :/.

That's... annoying :/.

I can't really offer you a better solution that just manually patching out the .kobo blacklist: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hooser.lua#L34
No problem, do I still need to allow the hidden dir scan in the options?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mzel: Yup (leading dot == hidden).
Old 06-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #15
jbenwell

Quote:
@jbenwell: The OCP ships example configs for switching to a plain NM setup.

Thank you! That worked.

I bring my Kobo and no computer when I travel, and would prefer not to lose the ability to run KOReader if I manage to apply a firmware update.