Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #451
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Made my goal, just in time...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #452
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Impressive. Did you read a short story a day on top of the 115 books in your reading list?
No. I'd say about a third of them are collections, anthologies or novellas that I read as part of the story-a-day challenge. It was always in parallel to whatever novel I was reading, but I did count them in the list when I finished the books they were in.

The last work on my list, for instance, is a novella I read yesterday (The Brick Moon by Edward Everett Hale, said to be the first known tale of a man-made satellite, from 1869) and a novelette I read today (Another Brick in the Moon, a new sequel by Adam Roberts), while at the same time I am in the middle of the novel Helliconia Summer by Brian Aldiss, which I started a few days ago.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #453
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I finished 2016 having read 30 books. This is a few more than last year.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #454
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
I met most of my goals handily. The glaring exception was "6 fewer physical TBRs," which will remain undented unless I get cracking in the next few hours. I even have a tetralogy I want to read, but it's never right in front of me when I finish a book.

elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #455
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Ok, I end the year 6 books behind, but I'm ok with that. I had 2 months where I read virtually nothing, so it's to be expected.

So for my final 2016 reads, I was surprised how much I liked Pilgrimage to Hell by James Axler. I listened to the Graphic Audio version of this. I look forward to the next one. I also listened to a freebee from Audible by Jodi Taylor called The Little Donkey. Hilarious. I've never read any of her other books, so now I'm inclined to do so since I love books with humor. Obviously part of a series, but still funny.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #456
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I had set a minimum goal of 25 books (I've fallen so far in recent years ) but made it all the way to 37. Not a huge number but still more than last year's 30, so I'm hoping that I've started reversing the trend of reading fewer books each year.

I did a "something for everyone" challenge and it was more to see how many of the categories I could hit rather than trying to do them all. I think I managed about 2/3 of them, so I'm happy with that.

I also tracked titles against the alphabet, and there was a tie between A and H. I rolled a virtual die (1-3 A, 4-6 H) and H won, which will be an important factor in next year's (um, tomorrow's) Weird Challenge.

I think the biggest thing for me in 2016 was that I discovered a love for old-school private detective stories. And boy, oh boy, did Open Road do their free book bonanza at the right time, because their backlist is an absolute goldmine in the genre. Between that and some of Robert Randisi's backlist, I've got enough to satisfy me there for a long time.

I spent very little on books this year. I've been making good use of my libraries (Nashville and a non-resident card at Brooklyn), and I got a year of Kindle Unlimited with my Fire HD 8 Reader's Edition back at the beginning of the year. A lot of the Randisi titles are in KU so though it expires near the end of January, I think I will renew it for however long it takes me to exhaust those. I'll just need to be disciplined so that I don't end up spending more on the subscription than I would just buying the books. He has at least one more series I want to get through, but I should have that wrapped up by the end of February.

So, with an hour and ten minutes left in 2016 (currently at my Mom's in Florida, so I'm on EST right now), there we have it! My first 2017 read will be New Orleans Noir, from the Akashic Noir series. I read Las Vegas Noir recently, and I think I'll be reading more of these in the coming year.

Sorry for the long post. Guess I'm making up for being absent for much of the year.

Edited to add: Did you know if you type "roll a die" into Google search... it will do just that!?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #457
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The 2016 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

I met my yearly goal of one book and went on to read an additional 101 books. Here's what I read in 2016:
Spoiler:
JANUARY

1. The Historical Jesus in Context ed. by Amy-Jill Levine, Dale C. Allison, and John. Dominic Crossan

2. Billy Wolfe's Riding Spirit by Kevin A. Lyons (short story by cromag)

3. The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (Whispersync narrated by author, full cast)

4. Breakfast with Buddha: A Novel by Roland Merullo (audiobook narrated by Sean Runnette)

FEBRUARY

5. Our Furry Friends: The Science of Pets by the Editors of Scientific American

6. Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey

7. Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception by Pamela Meyer (Audiobook narrated by: Karen Saltus)

8. Hiding in Plain Sight: The Secret Life of Raymond Burr by Michael Seth Starr

9. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Audiobook narrated by: Christian Rummel)

10. The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus by Amy-Jill Levine

11. Pinocchio: The Story of a Puppet by Carlo Collodi

MARCH

12. The Case of the Perjured Parrot by Erle Stanley Gardner

13. The Bonobo and the Atheist by Frans de Waal (Audiobook narrated by: Jonathan Davis)

14. The Night Life of the Gods by J. Thorne Smith (reread)

15. The Case of the Counterfeit Eye by Erle Stanley Gardner (reread)

16. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (tr. A.S. Kline) (reread)

17. Four to Score by Janet Evanovich (Audiobook narrated by C.J. Critt)

18. The Case of the Sleepwalker’s Niece by Erle Stanley Gardner

19. Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe by Jane Goodall

APRIL

20. Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Anna Waterhouse (Audiobook narrated by Damian Lynch)

21. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Audiobook narrated by Peter Batchelor) (reread)

22. Manual for Living by Epictetus (Audiobook narrated by Jim Roberts)

23. Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

24. Skepticism 101: How to Think like a Scientist by Michael Shermer (Great Courses Audiobook narrated by Michael Shermer)

25. The Golden Sayings of Epictetus (Anonymous), Hastings Crossley translation

26. Black Hole by Charles Burns (368 page graphic novel)

27. The Case of the Stuttering Bishop by Erle Stanley Gardner

MAY

28. How to Bake Pi by Eugenia Cheng (Audiobook narrated by Tavia Gilbert)

29. The Girl Who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes (Audiobook narrated by Emily Woo Zeller)

30. This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works by John Brockman

31. Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel Kilcher (Audiobook narrated by Jewel)

32. Bound No More: A Jane Yellowrock Novella by Faith Hunter (Audiobook narrated by Khristine Hvam)

33. The Steerswoman (Steerswoman #1) by Rosemary Kirstein

34. Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies, and Three Battles by Bernard Cornwall (Audiobook narrated by Bruce Cornwell, Bernard Cornwell, and Dugald Bruce Lockhart)

35. Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman (Audiobook narrated by Full Cast)

36. The Enchiridion by Epictetus (Thomas Wentworth Higginson translation)

37. The Tempest (re-read, but first time as an app: The Tempest from Heuristic Shakespeare Limited)

38. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

39. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (audiobook read by Ruth Golding)

40. The Case of the Dangerous Dowager by Erle Stanley Gardner

JUNE

41. Syndrome by Blake Leibel, Daniel Quantz, and R.J. Ryan; illustrated by David Marquez (graphic novel)

42. Neanderthal Man by Svante Pääbo (Audiobook narrated by Dennis Holland)

43. The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku

44. The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent by Larry Correia (Audiobook narrated by Adam Baldwin)

45. The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 (audiobook read by Librivox volunteers) Episode 10 missing - (c) concerns

46. The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters

47. The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson (audiobook narrated by Alan Bomar Jones)

48. What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris (Audiobook narrated by Davina Porter)

49. 2000 Years of Disbelief: Famous People with the Courage to Doubt by James A. Haught

50. The Consultant by Bentley Little (audiobook read by Ramiz Monsef)

51. George by Alex Gino

52. Keep Moving: And Other Tips and Truths about Aging by Dick Van Dyke with Todd Gold (audiobook read by Dick Van Dyke)

JULY

53. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

54. Something New (AKA Something Fresh) by P.G. Wodehouse

55. 1632 by Eric Flint (audiobook read by George Guidall)

56. Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson (Audiobook read by the author)

57. The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright

58. The Case of the Lame Canary by Erle Stanley Gardner

AUGUST

59. The Earth Moved by Amy Stewart (Audiobook read by Heather Henderson)

60. Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood

61. Lightless by C.A. Higgins (Audiobook read by Fiona Hardingham)

62. The Political Mind: A Cognitive Scientist's Guide to Your Brain and Its Politics by George Lakoff

63. Interference by Amélie Antoine (translated from the French by Maren Baudet-Lackner)

64. A Wodehouse Miscellany; Articles and Stories by P.G. Wodehouse (Audiobook read by Kevin McAsh)

65. The Adventures of Superman by George Lowther

66. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein (Audiobook read by Christopher Hurt)

SEPTEMBER

67. Max Carrados by Ernest Bramah

68. The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli (W.K. Marriott translation, audiobook read by Paul Adams)

69. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

70. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (audiobook read by Bob Neufeld)

71. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (audiobook read by Tim Curry)

72. The Epic of Gilgamesh (Penguin Classics) by N.K. Sandars (translator)

73. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (audiobook read by Scarlett Johansson)

74. As a Man Thinketh by James Allen (audiobook read by Brian Johnson)

75. A Deadly Grind (Vintage Kitchen Mystery Series # 1) by Victoria Hamilton (audiobook read by Emily Woo Zeller)

76. Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link

OCTOBER

77. The Epic of Gilgamesh (poetic translation by Leonidas Le Cenci Hamilton) with an Introduction by Epiphanius Wilson

78. Spanish Mystery Stories for Beginners: El Detective Pepe Sevilla by Alex Diez

79. The Loved One: An Anglo-American Tragedy by Evelyn Waugh

80. Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis (Blackstone audiobook read by Anthony Heald)

NOVEMBER

81. "The Human Crisis" by Albert Camus (Lecture performed by actor Viggo Mortensen)

82. Talking to Crazy: How to Deal with the Irrational and Impossible People in Your Life by Mark Goulston MD (audiobook read by L. J. Ganser)

83. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

84. The Case of the Rolling Bones by Erle Stanley Gardner

85. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

86. Spooky Action at a Distance: The Phenomenon That Reimagines Space and Time — and What It Means for Black Holes, the Big Bang, and Theories of Everything by George Musser (audiobook read by William Hughes)

87. Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Mallory Ortberg (audiobook read by Zach Villa, Amy Landon)

88. Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley

DECEMBER

89. Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely (audiobook read by Simon Jones)

90. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

91. The Only Street in Paris: Life on the Rue Des Martyrs by Elaine Sciolino (audiobook read by Elaine Sciolino)

92. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

93. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman (audiobook read by Nick Podehl, Kate Rudd, Luke Daniels, Laura Hamilton)

94. The Case of the Haunted Husband by Erle Stanley Gardner

95. Churchill's Trial: Winston Churchill and the Salvation of Free Government by Larry P. Arnn

96. The Case of the Empty Tin by Erle Stanley Gardner

97. Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh (audiobook read by Jim Barclay)

98. Damn! A Book of Calimny by H.L. Mencken (audiobook read by Wasichu)

99. Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher #2)

100. Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (audiobook read by Peter Ganim, Robert J. Sawyer)

101. Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi (audiobook read by Wil Wheaton)

102. Superman: The Golden Age, Vol. 1 by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #458
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've only added 30 books or so to my TBR pile this year.
Make that 47. My goal for next year is to reduce my TBR by at least 47.

If you haven't done so already, come and join us in the 2017 challenge threads!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #459
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I completely failed on my major goal for this year, which was to reduce my TBR; it grew higher. On the other hand, I'm unlikely to run out of books to read for quite a while.

My secondary goal was to read more of the selections for the book clubs. I didn't read all of the selections, but I did eventually get to most of them, and they were some of the best books I read this year. That worked out so well that my main goal for 2017 will be to participate every month if the book is available to me.

Overall, I'm not displeased with my reading this year. A number of the books I read this year challenged my existing views, and often changed my outlook; they enriched my life.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #460
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Final total for 2016: 168 books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #461
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Well, my 2016 challenge was an epic disaster.

Of my main goal of 60 books, I read 13.

Of my 'winter' sub-goal of five particular books, I read zero. I never even made sub-goals for the other seasons after. I still think it's a good set-up for a reading challenge though, as I like the quarterly challenge aspect and that each season represents a distinct period of time. I just happened to fail miserably the year I thought of using that.

Here's to hoping 2017 will be somewhat better, anyway!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote