Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that's time-ly will we read for April?
1916: The Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan 3 17.65%
1632 by Eric Flint 5 29.41%
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North 4 23.53%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 3 17.65%
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells 4 23.53%
Making History by Stephen Fry 8 47.06%
Days Without Number by Robert Goddard 4 23.53%
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai 7 41.18%
Their Finest, by Lissa Evans 2 11.76%
The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard 7 41.18%
Naples '44: A World War II Diary of Occupied Italy by Norman Lewis 6 35.29%
Time and Again by Jack Finney 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #46
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
The cheapest I can find the eBook in Canada is $9.99 (google play) which would either mean the book or Beer. My library doesn't have the eBook

That being said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
For everyone waiting to get to the book - it is a quick read. I go through 100 pages in one sitting (and that was with the slowing addition of two 16 oz IPAs).
What IPA would you recommend with this book?
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #47
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
What IPA would you recommend with this book?
I'm one of those annoying people that drink a lot of local brews, so my recommendations, by and large, would be very geographically restricted. Though any good imperial IPA would do. I think New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA is widely available.

Personally, I was drinking a seasonal limited release by a local called NoDa Brewing out of Charlotte, NC.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #48
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm one of those annoying people that drink a lot of local brews, so my recommendations, by and large, would be very geographically restricted. Though any good imperial IPA would do. I think New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA is widely available.

Personally, I was drinking a seasonal limited release by a local called NoDa Brewing out of Charlotte, NC.
Thanks for the information, I enjoy micro brews too, I keep an eye out for NoDa. I liked Voodoo Ranger but my beer store doesn't have any.

Off to see if my library has the dead tree version of the book.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #49
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Consider a bit of geographical travel to the UK. Not difficult with Kobo, and the price there is £2.99 (less than $5.50 CDN).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Consider a bit of geographical travel to the UK. Not difficult with Kobo, and the price there is £2.99 (less than $5.50 CDN).
Give us a wave as you fly by. I've already got a pbook version, so I'll be using that for my reread.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Give us a wave as you fly by. I've already got a pbook version, so I'll be using that for my reread.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #52
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
How many pages is the pbook? The Amazon listing says 594. I'm basing my estimate of when I need to start reading on how long it'll take me to read ~600 pages.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
How many pages is the pbook? The Amazon listing says 594. I'm basing my estimate of when I need to start reading on how long it'll take me to read ~600 pages.
The hardcover is 380 pages.
The paperback is 464 pages.
The ePub is 342 ADE pages.

This is not a 600 page book. The Kindle version page number (594) that Amazon cites is wrong. Amazon quite frequently gets it wrong.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2018 at 04:18 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #54
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Ok, thanks.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #55
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The hardcover is 380 pages.
The paperback is 464 pages.
The ePub is 342.

This is not a 600 page book. The Kindle version page number (594) that Amazon cites is wrong. Amazon quite frequently gets it wrong.
What paperback is 464 pages? What hardcover is 380 pages? You are using blanket statements for things without enough detail.

GR lists anywhere from 320 (first edition hard cover) to 575 pages (Arrow Books paperback). One language has a 640 page hard cover version.

The Amazon listing actually uses the Arrow Books version (ISBN 0099457067, link) but GR lengths don't include front and back matter (at least they aren't supposed to) so the numbers aren't always exactly the same.

latepaul: I look at the "All Editions" link on Goodreads to get an idea for page lengths that I am comfortable with. I normally base it on a mass market paperback version but that isn't always available. I am trying to shift my internal gauge to use word counts (which are often available at BookShout or AR BookFinder) since that seems more consistent than page counts.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
What paperback is 464 pages? What hardcover is 380 pages? You are using blanket statements for things without enough detail.

GR lists anywhere from 320 (first edition hard cover) to 575 pages (Arrow Books paperback). One language has a 640 page hard cover version.

The Amazon listing actually uses the Arrow Books version (ISBN 0099457067, link) but GR lengths don't include front and back matter (at least they aren't supposed to) so the numbers aren't always exactly the same.
I got my page numbers from the hardcover and paperback versions alongside the Kindle version. https://www.amazon.com/Making-Histor.../dp/1616955252

Also, the ePub version is not that far off that at 342 ADE pages it would be close to 594 pBook pages. So really, that 597 page pBook version is not all that accurate. It could be large print, wide line spaces, bit margins, etc.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Making History is roughly 120588 words. That's using the latest version Word Count plugin for Calibre with the ePub. I've read books with larger word counts and in no way would they be even close to 594 pages.

So I have to conclude that the Acorn version is just a mess given how far off base the page numbering is.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson that we read for the Book Club, is said to be 594 pages for Amazon's Kindle edition. It comes in at roughly 210518 words. So how can a book that's 120588 words be the same number of pages as a book that's 210518 words?

There's roughly a 90,000 word count difference.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #59
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast

It all depends on the version of the book.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9781616955250/
Paperback | $16.00
Published by Soho Press
Dec 30, 2014 | 464 Pages | 5-1/2 x 8-1/4 | ISBN 9781616955250

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/mak...-9780099457060
Paperback
October 1, 2004
Arrow
592 pages
Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #60
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I got my page numbers from ...
Quote:
Making History is roughly 1205...
Quote:
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson ...
The point is that page counts by themselves don't necessarily mean much. They can (as pointed out above) vary by over a hundred pages even within the same "format" of book and without seeing the actual book we are only guessing as to what that means. As I mentioned to latepaul, I tend to look at the "All Editions" link at GR and use either specifically the MMPB format or use an "average" value for the paperback options rather than use just what is shown on Amazon or the first result that shows up at GR. Using the average seems to give me more consistent results.

For words, the word count estimate from BookShout is 120,773, so very close to Calibre's estimate, but even with that I have read books with 115k to 125k words that have lengths less than 300 pages to almost 550 pages and average about 420 pages. Formatting makes such a huge difference, over 120k words a 1 or 2 pt difference in print size can add a lot of pages.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote