Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #16
gMike
Dazed and Confused
gMike began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The N2A card looks like just the thing to use rather than try to root it the manual way. I'm not comfortable trying to root it myself and a "pre-rooted" sd card fits me just fine!!
gMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
N2A card

I rooted to CM7 a couple of months ago but things were always a bit squirrly. Seemed like there may have been a few quirks. I spent hours and at least four separate SD cards trying to get it right -- even figuring out the terminology for a "non-techie" can be daunting.

Then I decided to order from N2A -- I purchased one of their SD cards (the smallest one - didn't cost too much) and that was a very good decision. The instructions are so easy anyone can load it. It also comes preloaded with quite a few applications and tweaks.

If you don't like it - you don't need to use it -- it doesn't change the nook at all, so you can get the original set up back anytime.

I have no affiliation with the company, but they did exactly what I wanted. I liken it to the guy I paid recently to come out and fix my satellite so that the signal is just right. Yeah, I could have done it myself, but it's nice to know it's done right, plus I save time and headache.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Well, after reading about this for quite a while, I decided to give it a whirl today. I followed the steps in this XDA thread. It actually went pretty well. Seems to me like the biggest hurdle is understanding the various nomenclature.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
That's somewhat misleading. Nothing you do to the NC is permanent in the sense of irreversible, but you are rooted as permanently as it is possible to root.
No it's not misleading at all, it's 100% the truth. I can reverse the root, so I'm not rooted permanently....permanent means irreversible.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
No it's not misleading at all, it's 100% the truth. I can reverse the root, so I'm not rooted permanently....permanent means irreversible.
If your NC dies so that you can't boot it up, you cannot revert it to stock before sending it in for repair. With an SD install you just remove the card. That would be one difference.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
I rooted to CM7 a couple of months ago but things were always a bit squirrly. Seemed like there may have been a few quirks. I spent hours and at least four separate SD cards trying to get it right -- even figuring out the terminology for a "non-techie" can be daunting.

Then I decided to order from N2A -- I purchased one of their SD cards (the smallest one - didn't cost too much) and that was a very good decision. The instructions are so easy anyone can load it. It also comes preloaded with quite a few applications and tweaks.

If you don't like it - you don't need to use it -- it doesn't change the nook at all, so you can get the original set up back anytime.

I have no affiliation with the company, but they did exactly what I wanted. I liken it to the guy I paid recently to come out and fix my satellite so that the signal is just right. Yeah, I could have done it myself, but it's nice to know it's done right, plus I save time and headache.
Glad to hear you are happy. If I do decide on the Nook Color, this is what I would buy also.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If your NC dies so that you can't boot it up, you cannot revert it to stock before sending it in for repair. With an SD install you just remove the card. That would be one difference.
Good Point.

Carol
Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
sadievan
Wizard

A few more questions for ya all.

1. for those that got the SD card from N2A, what size did you get? Would you recommend a different size.

2. Has anyone backed up their SD boot card. If so how did you do it.

Carol
Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #24
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Yes you can...make the sd card on your computer with the original firmware...Nook will boot off the SD card first, load the original with clockwork...done.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
jhempel24
Wizard

Why is anyone BUYING these cards??? It takes more time to buy the things than to actually make one!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Yes you can...make the sd card on your computer with the original firmware...Nook will boot off the SD card first, load the original with clockwork...done.
Could you explain this a little more. What program did you use to make the SD with the original firmware.

Also, if as murraypaul said, your NC won't boot, how would you get it to boot from an SD card.

Thanks,
Carol
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Why is anyone BUYING these cards??? It takes more time to buy the things than to actually make one!

I think if you check a number of threads here at MobileRead you'll find a number of reasons expressed (and most persuasively, in my opinion), for the reasons to choose the card over downloading the various files.

The idea of the time it takes to have one arrive (1-4 days) does not seem to be a problematic issue; rather (if my understanding of those threads is correct), one of the primary reasons is that a number readers do not wish to engage in the process of downloading and installing the files.

The reasons behind this decision may not, of course, be expressive of your own reasons.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Could you explain this a little more. What program did you use to make the SD with the original firmware.

Also, if as murraypaul said, your NC won't boot, how would you get it to boot from an SD card.
You may want to pay closer attention to jhempel's avatar

If N2A looks more attractive than making a card yourself, you're probably not too interested in either of those questions, but I'll offer answers, in reverse order:

2) Software problems can prevent your NC from booting. If there's nothing wrong with hardware, the NC will still look for bootable media in the SD slot when you power it on. A hardware fault preventing the NC from booting would be quite rare.

1) You can put an Android utility called ClockworkMod Recovery on a SD card using a program like WinImage. You can then put update packages such as CM7 or the stock firmware on the card and have ClockworkMod deliver them to the device.

If you want to explore how to make your own card, I broke down the most popular method, verygreen's size-agnostic SD (SASD), very step-by-step here: http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/09/...m-sd-nook.html The tools you'll use may be unfamiliar, but the whole thing's less complex than baking brownies.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #29
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
You may want to pay closer attention to jhempel's avatar

Quote:
If N2A looks more attractive than making a card yourself, you're probably not too interested in either of those questions, but I'll offer answers, in reverse order:

2) Software problems can prevent your NC from booting. If there's nothing wrong with hardware, the NC will still look for bootable media in the SD slot when you power it on. A hardware fault preventing the NC from booting would be quite rare.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Quote:
1) You can put an Android utility called ClockworkMod Recovery on a SD card using a program like WinImage. You can then put update packages such as CM7 or the stock firmware on the card and have ClockworkMod deliver them to the device.

If you want to explore how to make your own card, I broke down the most popular method, verygreen's size-agnostic SD (SASD), very step-by-step here: http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/09/...m-sd-nook.html The tools you'll use may be unfamiliar, but the whole thing's less complex than baking brownies.
Actually what I was asking was what program he used to make a backup of the bootable card. I think I didn't word it too well. I have Acronis True Image and also DVDFab that I think uses WinImage (not sure will have to check my other computer). Was wondering if either of those would work to backup the N2A card should I decide to go that route.

Thanks for the link. Will bookmark it in case I decide to try to do it myself. Just don't know if I want to be bothered.

Thanks,
Carol

Edited: Looked at your blog. Got confused with the CyanogenMod 7 ROM file to download. You say, update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip or any of the nightly test releases numbered 86 or higher, but the link says 17x.

Last edited by sadievan; 09-19-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #30
jhempel24
Wizard

Here are step by step instructions for creating a bootable CWM Card.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

All you have to do is follow them exactly