Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #361
philip_goule
Enthusiast
philip_goule began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We can not channel into your mind and know what you are thinking.
We can only answer what you post here.

Which of the "extra commands" are you speaking of?
(See? We still can't channel into your mind, you have to write down what you are thinking.)
Sorry, language barrier. I will try my best to conquer it .
philip_goule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #362
philip_goule
Enthusiast

Quote:
We can not channel into your mind and know what you are thinking.
We can only answer what you post here.

Which of the "extra commands" are you speaking of?
(See? We still can't channel into your mind, you have to write down what you are thinking.)
I mean, HOW I can use the executable files listed in the bottom of the page
http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-terminal/
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #363
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_goule View Post
I mean, HOW I can use the executable files listed in the bottom of the page
http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-terminal/
They have to be installed before they can be used.

Do you already use those commands on a desktop computer?

The only people that would want to use them on a kindle are already running them someplace else.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #364
philip_goule
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They have to be installed before they can be used.

Do you already use those commands on a desktop computer?

The only people that would want to use them on a kindle are already running them someplace else.
I changed the $PATH profile through serial port,add :/mnt/us/bin/ to $PATH .
Old 07-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #365
Rakksor
Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First of all thank you baf for making kterm (and everyone else who helped).

It really bothered me that there is no way to change the height of the keyboard, as some terminal applications require a minimum size of 80x24. Without being able to change the keyboard height this meant that I had to use a really small font.

So if anyone is interested, I added the option and changed some other stuff:
  • different, flat keyboard look similar to Android
  • a dark keyboard theme that is automatically toggled to match the terminal color scheme
  • keyboard layouts using only Unicode characters, no images (necessary due to the dynamic theme switching of the keyboard)
  • a split landscape keyboard layout

Download: Kindle Package for KUAL
Source: Github

Light Theme

Dark Theme

Split Keyboard

Edit: Bonus Picture - Running Angband with 90% keyboard height and split layout

Last edited by Rakksor; 07-01-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Rakksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #366
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Works fine on my PW3!
Thanks for your work
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #367
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Great. Thanks for sharing.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #368
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Oasis KOA FW 5.13.3 JB
Nice @rakksor. Can the split keyboard be used in landscape on a KOA? Seems like it is a "resolution dependent" feature? When in landscape on a KOA the keyboard doesn't split.
picree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #369
Rakksor
Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Rakksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Nice @rakksor. Can the split keyboard be used in landscape on a KOA? Seems like it is a "resolution dependent" feature? When in landscape on a KOA the keyboard doesn't split.
Sorry, maybe that wasn't clear from the initial post. The split keyboard layout is just an additional layout and isn't automatically activated in landscape mode. Because of that it has to be specified manually either in the config file or using a command line argument

So put the following into bin/kterm.conf
Code:
kb_conf_path = /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/layouts/keyboard-landscape.xml
or launch kterm like this (assuming you're in /mnt/us/extensions/kterm)
Code:
bin/kterm -l layouts/keyboard-landscape.xml
But this means that the split layout is also used in portrait mode which doesn't work very well. So it only really makes sense to use it when starting kterm directly into landscape mode (-o R command line argument or orientation = R in the config file).
Old 08-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #370
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Great! Thanks.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #371
picree
Connoisseur

Actually, no joy. Editing the .conf file results in the same keyboard (not the split keyboard). However, launching kterm (from within kterm) with the command "bin/kterm -l layouts/keyboard-landscape.xml" does work. With that I have a shell in a shell though.

Note: I can see the split keyboard for a second but then it gets overwritten and invoking all other commands like dark mode and orientation = R does work from the .conf file.

Last edited by picree; 08-04-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #372
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by picree View Post
Actually, no joy. Editing the .conf file results in the same keyboard (not the split keyboard). However, launching kterm (from within kterm) with the command "bin/kterm -l layouts/keyboard-landscape.xml" does work. With that I have a shell in a shell though.

Note: I can see the split keyboard for a second but then it gets overwritten and invoking all other commands like dark mode and orientation = R does work from the .conf file.
So edit the command in the shell script that KUAL executes for kterm.
I do believe you are over-thinking the entire problem.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #373
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
So edit the command in the shell script that KUAL executes for kterm.
I do believe you are over-thinking the entire problem.
No. That would make it work but it would not resolve the fact that kterm isnt working as-is. As I am discovering and discussing in the LibrarianSync thread, there is a bigger issue with my KUAL installation and it has something to do with the PATH.

Sorry to take @rakksor time up as I am beginning to believe the terminal extension may not be the issue. I am hopeful by troubleshooting the problem I can arrive at a global solution for all my extensions. Several of my KUAL extensions exhibit evidence of a messed up PATH. @NiLuJe suggested reinstalling the latest hotfix and reinstalling the troublesome extensions. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling KUAL. Didn't help. Any additional suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #374
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No yourself.
Run the correct KUAL build.
Don't screw with or alter anything installed by our packaging.

If something fails for you, it is a local problem to your installation or your usage.
Everything has been working for everyone else, except you, for years.
That should tell you where the problem is.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #375
Rakksor

Actually the problem is that I hardcoded the keyboard layout into the shell script that gets executed by KUAL for some reason:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
EXTENSION=/mnt/us/extensions/kterm
PARAM="-l ${EXTENSION}/layouts/keyboard.xml"
export TERM=xterm TERMINFO=${EXTENSION}/vte/terminfo
${EXTENSION}/bin/kterm ${PARAM} "$@"
Removing the PARAM variable like so should make it work:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
EXTENSION=/mnt/us/extensions/kterm
export TERM=xterm TERMINFO=${EXTENSION}/vte/terminfo
${EXTENSION}/bin/kterm "$@"
Sorry for that, I should probably update the package on GitHub.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator