Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Arty08
Arty08 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Kindle cover problem

Hello everyone! I am new here so not sure if this is correct category.

Anyway...

I am formatting books for living. For print and ebooks. So far I didn't had problems with any of my clients, but...

One client is asking that I make kindle cover with black background.

It is mobi file and cover is uploaded with correct kindle size. So when you open book in kindle device (paperwhite) you need to "slide" to the left to see cover. And that "screen" has left and right white bar, or to say margins. Now, I know how to stretch cover to fill full screen on kindle, but in this case, that is not possible (client don't want it). Now, my question is, is there any way to change "white bars" to black? That is what my client asking. I saw some books have black "bars" on cover screen, but mostly of them are white.

I used different softwares for converting to mobi, and none of them work. Not sure if that is just kindle option and not actually in mobi file

thank you and nice to be here
Arty08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
AlanHK
Evangelist
AlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheeseAlanHK can extract oil from cheese

Device: PW-3, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty08 View Post
I saw some books have black "bars" on cover screen, but mostly of them are white.
Kindle front covers are simply images, no code. If you submit a file with a cover html page, it will be omitted from the mobi -- you can see a notice about that in the output from kindlegen.

If the image isn't the same ratio as the screen, Kindle will show white bars beside it. If you see black bars, they were in the cover image.

You can quickly confirm if it's all in the image by changing the view to landscape mode, then you must see white bars beside whatever was the actual image.

The thumbnail cover shown on the Kindle "grid view" booklist will be made from the cover image, so you would see black around that if there were bars in the image.

I never distort a cover to make it Kindle 4:3 ratio, but often crop and/or rearrange elements it if it's too tall.

Last edited by AlanHK; 03-11-2019 at 07:58 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
In my testing using a Kindle Oasis 2 with 5.10.3 firmware, books in KF8 (azw3) format are shown with a white border around the cover and books in KFX (enhanced typesetting) format are shown with a black cover border.

These samples are in landscape mode. The first book is KF8 and the second is KFX.

------

Added: This is basically out of your control. The various Kindle apps, devices and firmware versions may produce different results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_03_11T08_45_05-0400.png
Views:	15
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	170184   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_03_11T08_39_22-0400.png
Views:	15
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	170185  

Last edited by jhowell; 03-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty08 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new here so not sure if this is correct category.

Anyway...

I am formatting books for living. For print and ebooks. So far I didn't had problems with any of my clients, but...

One client is asking that I make kindle cover with black background.

It is mobi file and cover is uploaded with correct kindle size. So when you open book in kindle device (paperwhite) you need to "slide" to the left to see cover. And that "screen" has left and right white bar, or to say margins. Now, I know how to stretch cover to fill full screen on kindle, but in this case, that is not possible (client don't want it). Now, my question is, is there any way to change "white bars" to black?
No.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote