Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
How to convert mobi dictionary to StarDict?

Howdy conversion experts,

After ten years on Kindle I'm about to move to Onyx, which uses dictionaries in the StarDict format.

I'm particularly attached to the Spanish-English dictionary I'm using and haven't found any large SP-SP or SP-EN dictionaries in StarDict format (I looked on the huzheng site, maybe not deep enough).

The Penelope tool converts to StarDict, but not from mobi or epub.

Would some of you please provide some pointers to known tools or procedures to take a mobi (or even better, azw) dictionary and port it to StarDict?

Big thanks.
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
Would some of you please provide some pointers to known tools or procedures to take a mobi (or even better, azw) dictionary and port it to StarDict?
AFAIK, there's no Kindle to StarDict converter.

You'd have to do the following:
  1. De-DRM the dictionary.
  2. Unpack it with KindleUnpack.
  3. Reformat the source .html file to a Babylon GLS file.
  4. Convert the Babylon GLS file to a StarDict dictionary with StarDict Editor.
Especially the third step is rather time-consuming, unless you're a regex expert.

BTW, the Babylon GLS file should look like this:

Code:
#stripmethod=keep
#sametypesequence=h
#bookname=Spanish-English Dictionary

libro|libros
<p>single line definition of 'libro' (may contain html 3.2 tags, e.g <br>)</p>

rana|ranas
<p>single line definition of 'rana' (may contain html 3.2 tags, e.g <br>)</p>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, there's no Kindle to StarDict converter.
You'd have to do the following:
Fantastic, thank you so much.

As luck would have it, not wanting to boast but it's probably fair to say I'm a regex expert and have the tools ready for a conversion pipeline. That being said, expert or not it's very easy to get things wrong, so we'll see…
Huge thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
That being said, expert or not it's very easy to get things wrong, so we'll see…
I forgot to mention that you'll need to use the following non-standard link syntax to link to another headword:

Code:
see also: <a href="bword://libro">libro</a>
and headwords need to be followed by all inflected word forms/spelling variants (defined as <idx:iform value="xxx"/> in the .html file):

Code:
go|goes|went|gone|going
<div><b>1. </b>first definition of 'go'<br><b>2. </b>second definition of 'go'</div>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
greatforum
greatforum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Fantastic, thank you so much.

As luck would have it, not wanting to boast but it's probably fair to say I'm a regex expert and have the tools ready for a conversion pipeline. That being said, expert or not it's very easy to get things wrong, so we'll see…
Huge thanks.
Hello,

Did you manage the conversion pipeline? If you have a working script or an almost-working script, is it possible to share?

I'm also in this situation except that I'm no regex expert...

greatforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
playful
Mammal

Hi there, no, never got started.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
greatforum
greatforum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Hi playful, yeah it's a lot of work. I ended up finding some decent dictionaries on the forum
greatforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
OT: I'm actually more curious how you ended up liking/hating/meh your Onyx Note Pro? I've been debating on getting one, not really for Kindle reading, but other projects....a wee pricier-treat, but I hate to blow $500 clams on something that will be a "take it out of the box, love it for 5 minutes and then don't use it" sort of thing.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
playful
Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OT: I'm actually more curious how you ended up liking/hating/meh your Onyx Note Pro?
I like it a lot. I use it a lot. Can't comment about the note-taking as I never used it, just bought it for reading. For me a large screen is a must, I had a Kindle DX before and waited a long time for something decent to replace it. I have some nits and picks with the software, but also did with the Kindle. Kept the KDX for nine years, hope to do the same with this device.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I like it a lot. I use it a lot. Can't comment about the note-taking as I never used it, just bought it for reading. For me a large screen is a must, I had a Kindle DX before and waited a long time for something decent to replace it. I have some nits and picks with the software, but also did with the Kindle. Kept the KDX for nine years, hope to do the same with this device.
Thx. I love my eInks (Kindles) for eReading, but I LOATHE their note-taking and their predictive assistance is godawful. I want something upon which I can load PDFs, MOBIs, etc. and make notes, for a separate project and I was cogitating on the Boox Note 2. It's a pricey item, so I don't want to buy it and find out I hate it! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote