Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #46
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I went back to FW 4.14.12777 because suddenly all marking ceased to work (you can mark a word, it is indicated, but its not on the notes page) and the last reading location is not remembered anymore, so the reader returned from the notes page to the very first book page. No clue why.

Reverting to the previous FW did solve all that and marking is working again.
Go figure
My 1st gen Kobo Aura does not exhibit any of these problems with the latest firmware.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #47
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, there should only be one location to download the update from. The various places you can find it, are using the same link to the file.
Good to know.

Quote:
I tested the download of the Mark6 and Mark7 versions of the file and had the same problem. I don't know if that is new as I don't think I had downloaded the file before.
I tested the 4.15.12920 download as well, and it had the same issue.

Ok, currently everything works as I expected on 4.14.12777.
When I am brave enough I might try installing OTA FW 4.15.12920 again to see whether the issue returns. It could have been some installation glitch, a bit flip due to cosmic rays left over by ancient aliens, the current height of the bitcoin, you name it

Thanks for your considerations about possible causes
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #48
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
My 1st gen Kobo Aura does not exhibit any of these problems with the latest firmware.
Good to hear there are devices which work out-of-the-box and that it is not a common issue
Old 05-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The 4.15.12920 download seems OK on the N905C. At least no new bugs/issues. I'll wait a while before putting it on the Original Kobo Aura H2O.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #50
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Since the update, I am writing with the France's French AZERTY layout when my Kobo is in Canadian French.... I had to switch my Kobo to English to be able to write with QWERTY again.
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #51
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Since the update, I am writing with the France's French AZERTY layout when my Kobo is in Canadian French.... I had to switch my Kobo to English to be able to write with QWERTY again.
I can confirm, I have the same problem.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No doubt because they stupidly don't have a separate setting for keyboard? At least I can't find one. A really daft omission. The Kindle does seem to have an extra setting.
People do not always use the default layout for even their native language even on a desktop, though a physical US keyboard is often crippled by missing a key (often beside Z). Though the Kindle screen keyboard stupidly only has 3 rows instead of Kobo 4 rows. I like how the Sony one has the extra pop-up characters even on punctuation.

There is also a bug on the Kobo English keyboard where an initial capital that can have an accent pops up an empty box. The Capitals or ascents or alternate letters ÁÉÓÐ etc do work if not the first letter. They also work on a lower case first letter. That bug is on the last FW too, but I don't think on earlier versions.

I also find the sort of "phone" emulation where the Kobo "guesses" if you want a CAPITAL or lower case very time wasting. A dot or a new line doesn't mean I want a Capital. Also tends to switch from punctuation back to alpha automatically. I find that hitting -> at the end of text or start of notes cancels capitals. Also selection by touch earlier in the note has always been poor, I have to use <- key.

On Kindle there is an option to separately add or set keyboards as on regular Windows, Linux, Mac OS etc, where the "regional settings" or "language" might set a default keyboard but it can be changed. I have had difficulty with some versions of Android and physical keyboards. It used to assume English = USA. Very annoying for £ " € áéíúó ~ # | \.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #53
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
duplicate entries in wish list

Something I've noticed for the first time in this version is that some entries in my wish list get duplicated. If I delete one, both vanish, but adding the same book again results in a duplicate entry.

I suppose it's possible that this could happen in previous versions and I just never noticed.

It feels like it doesn't really matter in that it causes me no real problems unless it suggests there could also be something worse going on like memory leaks or similar.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #54
jackthereader
jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I went back to FW 4.14.12777 because suddenly all marking ceased to work (you can mark a word, it is indicated, but its not on the notes page) and the last reading location is not remembered anymore, so the reader returned from the notes page to the very first book page. No clue why.

Go figure
I just notied the same problems on a Kobo Glo. Highlighting doesn't work (you can still highlight but it isn't saved) and reading progress is lost if I go back to the home screen. Strangely, the bug doesn't seem to affect all epubs, only some. Reverting to firmware 4.14.12777 solved it for me as well.
jackthereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Go figure
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthereader View Post
I just notied the same problems on a Kobo Glo. Highlighting doesn't work (you can still highlight but it isn't saved) and reading progress is lost if I go back to the home screen. Strangely, the bug doesn't seem to affect all epubs, only some. Reverting to firmware 4.14.12777 solved it for me as well.
I make a lot of annotations to mark errors in books and haven't seen any problems with them being remembered. And haven't seen any issues with the reading position being lost. But, if it is only some books, that is a different matter. It might be something specific in the books. Do you know of anything common about the books? Source, styles or anything? It would be useful to look at a book. If any are somewhere we can legally download them, that would good. Otherwise, the calibre ScrambeEbook plugin can scramble the text to allow the book to be uploaded. Or, upload it somewhere and PM me a link to look at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I had the reading position lost when I used search to find and open a book. When I returned to the previous book (fortunately I knew I'd just started ch7), it was back at the start.
Only happened once, so far. Type epub rather than kepub.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #57
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Do you know of anything common about the books? Source, styles or anything?
All my books are EPUB ones and touched-up by calibre before sideload. Never had any problems with them before.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
All my books are EPUB ones and touched-up by calibre before sideload.
Not sure what "touched-up by calibre" means. Are you doing a conversion, Polish, edit or something else? Or do you just mean calibre's metadata update during the send?
Quote:
Never had any problems with them before.
Well, that's the point. Something has changed that is causing the behaviour. Unless you have changed what you do with the books, then it is in the firmware. I'm not seeing the problem and have not changed what I do with the epubs. I am using kepubs a bit more, but, for epubs that I read, there is no difference and no problems. That suggests there is something different about your books, and mine. And @jackthereader and mine. And that something has changed in the firmware that is being triggered by these differences. Without knowing what the differences are, it is very hard to work out how to fix it.

The only change I can think of recently that might be responsible is that Kobo have been changing some things with the ToC handling. And the reading position and annotation locations are actually relative to the ToC entries. A problem in the ToC, or something unusual, might be the cause. But, without seeing an example that does cause the problem, it is impossible to tell.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:04 AM   #59
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Not sure what "touched-up by calibre" means. Are you doing a conversion, Polish, edit or something else? Or do you just mean calibre's metadata update during the send?
It's "yes" to all of the above In general, I make them valid, complete and readable. BTW, most books where processed this way some time ago (up to a year).

Quote:
Unless you have changed what you do with the books, then it is in the firmware.
Nope, my work flow is pretty consistent, most recent fixes where just typo's, hence the usage of high-lighting for final touch-up.

Quote:
Without knowing what the differences are, it is very hard to work out how to fix it.
Agree. In my case, the only difference seems to be the FW version. And could be noticed in several other books I tried. But to assist you further, I need to reinstall 4.15.12920, see whether the problem appears again and pick some suitable book to share. Perhaps I can manage that in the forthcoming weekend. Its worth to try, certainly as more persons seem to see the same issues.

Then again, the above is no guarantee you will encounter the same problems as I have as it might have to do by left-overs from previous FW upgrades.
The best manner to test will be factory reset, upgrade to 4.15.12920, reinstall all books and see whats happening. But that's to much work for my taste.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #60
jackthereader
jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The only change I can think of recently that might be responsible is that Kobo have been changing some things with the ToC handling. And the reading position and annotation locations are actually relative to the ToC entries. A problem in the ToC, or something unusual, might be the cause. But, without seeing an example that does cause the problem, it is impossible to tell.
I haven't done anything to the books in Calibre, except upload them to the ereader. Another strange thing I noticed: sometimes (but not always) pressing the right double arrow >> will move you back to the beginning of the current chapter instead of the next one. With the new firmware it will move you to the beginning of the book. So maybe it's a ToC thing after all...

edit: @davidfor I have sent you a PM with a link for 3 books. I downloaded these straight from my Glo just to make sure you have identical copies. Let me know if you need more books

Last edited by jackthereader; 06-14-2019 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typos
jackthereader is offline   Reply With Quote