Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I see GoodEReader has picked up this story ...

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ngle-partition

Quote:
Barnes and Noble NooK Glowlight 3 Now Has a Single Partition

...Over the next few years the partition was increased, as the Nook e-readers begun to incorporate more internal storage. The brand new Nook Glowlight 3 has 1GB of storage for sideloaded content. Barnes and Noble has developed new firmware 48.3.10 which is currently being tested by developers. Why should you care about this new firmware? It eliminates partitioning system and allows users to have full access to sideload as much content as they want.

The new firmware will likely be pushed out to all Nook Glowlight 3 e-readers within the next few weeks. This would prove useful for people who borrow books from the library or have an extensive collection of manga or PDF files.
The article doesn't seem to have any more information than what is already in this thread.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can believe it. It seems like Barnes & Noble would want as many beta testers as they could get to ensure that this update didn't eat their uses' side-loaded books.

Makes me think that maybe they just changed permissions of the main (5.5 GB) partition, copied the side-loaded files over from the 1 GB partition, and then -- somehow -- blocked the use of the former side-loading partition (or reserved it for something else). That way the firmware wouldn't have to reformat or re-partition whole "drive" just change the user access (permissions). (Just speculating. I have no real clue but it would probably be safer to do it that way.)

One good thing about this. Apparently Barnes & Noble is reacting to the wishes/complaints of their customers.
I wondered if B&N might have just changed the permissions of the main partition and left the 1 GB one "hidden". That would be a fairly easy firmware change - easier than repartitioning - though it would leave that 1 GB entirely unusable. Still, it would be a big step in the direction of addressing customers' complaints.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #33
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

The article doesn't seem to have any more information than what is already in this thread.
Of course it doesn't have more information. Their source for the story is highly likely the posts in this thread (unattributed as usual )
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
But that looks like only 5.5 GB. What happened to the other GB?
I for one don't care. If they would have partitioned it in the first place with 3.5GB for them and 3GB for us, I wouldn't have groused. It would have been more storage than the Glowlight Plus had, so it would have felt like an improvement, even with the partition.

The real smack in the face is that all the pre-release stuff touted the 8GB of storage and the sideloading limitation was only brought up after complaints upon release.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ngle-partition

Yeah, they likely picked it up from here. I wish they would attribute their sources, because if someone at B&N told them that they were planning on pushing the update to all users, it would be a big deal. If it is just speculation, that's a whole different story.
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #36
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Anyone who wants to party with this beta release could do so by downloading http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi....10/update.zip and doing the usual copy update.zip in over USB.

For some reason, I think this was only sent to 4 devices. I can't imagine why?

This release doesn't appear to break any of the useful legacy capabilities from GLP days - but having a good way to downgrade would be recommended.

Last edited by GeorgeYellow; 12-06-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Checked for a couple of things in the FW
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

That's because they stole the information yet again from MR. They quite often steal news from here because otherwise, they'd have not much to publish other than new Readers being released on Mother's Day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #38
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's because they stole the information yet again from MR. They quite often steal news from here because otherwise, they'd have not much to publish other than new Readers being released on Mother's Day.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #39
downeaster59
Wizard

I installed the beta firmware. Sure enough, I now see a partition with 6.35 GB. The books I had sideloaded to the old 0.95 GB partition were lost in the shuffle (not a surprise), but everything in the Nook partition seems intact. The Calibre driver still seems to work, though not as smoothly. I'm surprised it would work at all after the repartitioning. There's no point in having the Calibre driver adjusted until this firmware becomes official. Calibre Companion still does its job.

One advantage of the one partition is this: you can sideload books into the Nook folder, and have either the stock Nook reader, or any reader apps you install, access and open them.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I installed the beta firmware. Sure enough, I now see a partition with 6.35 GB. The books I had sideloaded to the old 0.95 GB partition were lost in the shuffle (not a surprise), but everything in the Nook partition seems intact. ...

One advantage of the one partition is this: you can sideload books into the Nook folder, and have either the stock Nook reader, or any reader apps you install, access and open them.
Sounds great. So it is 6.5 GB, not 5.5 GB? (I must have gotten something mixed up.) And this is from the link GeorgeYellow posted, correct? (I've already downloaded the software, even though I don't own one of these yet.) Do you notice any other changes in the stock firmware? Supposedly there were improvements "throughout."
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #41
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds great. So it is 6.5 GB, not 5.5 GB? (I must have gotten something mixed up.) And this is from the link GeorgeYellow posted, correct? (I've already downloaded the software, even though I don't own one of these yet.) Do you notice any other changes in the stock firmware? Supposedly there were improvements "throughout."
Yes, this is from GeorgeYellow's link.

I haven't seen any new features yet. I checked for new fonts, just in case. (None.) There are probably a number of bug fixes and enhancements under the hood, so to speak. No improvements have jumped out at me just yet.

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but some functions on the NG3 seem to be just a bit quicker, and the text and book covers a tad sharper than before.

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-06-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, this is from GeorgeYellow's link.

I haven't seen any new features yet. I checked for new fonts, just in case. (None.) There are probably a number of bug fixes and enhancements under the hood, so to speak. No improvements have jumped out at me just yet.

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but some functions on the NG3 seem to be just a bit quicker, and the text and book covers a tad sharper than before.
I seem to remember when the Nook Simple Touch first came out there were complaints about various niggling (maybe not niggling?) issues. It didn't take too long to get most of them fixed. By the time I bought mine (in November, I think they were first released in March or April) they had pretty much fixed all the problems and the NST was pretty stable. I'm guessing it will be the same with the Nook GlowLight 3.

I want to thank you for reporting about this beta. Hopefully all this will be "mainstream" by the time I get my GlowLight 3.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I installed the beta firmware. Sure enough, I now see a partition with 6.35 GB.
Can you post instructions on how to install the firmware?

I'm downloading the file but don't currently have a Glowlight 3 I'd be willing to test it on.

I sure do hope this becomes an official release.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #44
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Can you post instructions on how to install the firmware?

I'm downloading the file but don't currently have a Glowlight 3 I'd be willing to test it on.

I sure do hope this becomes an official release.
All I did was to download the file to my laptop, and then copy it to the sideloading partition on my NG3. In a short time after I ejected the Nook, it started updating.

One thing I don't know is how to go back to the official firmware if anything goes wrong. So far, this beta firmware has been fine. But just beware that there is always a little risk.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #45
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
To clarify, copy the update.zip file to the root, or top level, folder that comes up when you connect the nook.

I too ran the update. I too found that the overall response is a little more zippy.

One interesting note: I didn't lose any content after the update, as one user reported. Not only that, but my NovaLauncher was still intact.

(You get stuck in a loop, when it comes back up after the update, but it's easy to exit that.)
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote