Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #28366
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Well I'm hooked after two chapters! Great so far.
I'm glad for you then. I myself remember the book getting quite a high rating on goodreads.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #28367
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'm glad for you then. I myself remember the book getting quite a high rating on goodreads.
Yes it has a pretty high rating. It’s my first Baldacci book. Hoping for a faced past thriller.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 AM   #28368
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is fascinating. I'm astonished at how fully formed the story is even in the very first manuscript pages.
I'm still reading The History of The Hobbit. It's very detailed, but the cross-references in the footnotes aren't linked, which is a shame.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #28369
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I recently finished up Linda Nagata's Nanotech Succession series. And though I wasn't as thrilled with the last two installments as I was with the first two, they were still quite good overall. These were her very first novels; and while it's easy to see how the first in the series won her a Locus award for Best First Novel, it's also easy to see--having read some her more recent works--that she's only gotten better. I mainly read this older series because her latest book, Edges (the first book of the Inverted Frontier series), is being billed as "a new entry point into the classic story world of Linda Nagata's The Nanotech Succession" and I didn't desire it to be "a new entry point" for me. I have to have it all or nothing.

So while I look forward to starting her latest work, I'm first going to do a little palate cleansing via K.J. Parker's latest release: Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.
Quote:
A siege is approaching, and the city has little time to prepare. The people have no food and no weapons, and the enemy has sworn to slaughter them all.

To save the city will take a miracle, but what it has is Orhan. A colonel of engineers, Orhan has far more experience with bridge-building than battles, is a cheat and a liar, and has a serious problem with authority. He is, in other words, perfect for the job.
Should be fun. It's my first K.J. Parker book since his real identity--Tom Holt--was revealed (a secret that was kept for seventeen years!).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #28370
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
I'm still reading The History of The Hobbit. It's very detailed, but the cross-references in the footnotes aren't linked, which is a shame.
I have Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" by Corey Olson, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Just finished The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig, which had a good ending, I thought.

Starting Ani Difranco's No Walls and the Recurring Dream; two chapters in and I am not certain how long I will continue.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #28371
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I abandoned Prador Moon by Neal Asher. I just couldn't get into this. A techno AI humanoid spacecraft was too much for me. Augmented humans and virtual visions added to my confusion. Perhaps, my brain isn't developed enough to handle Asher's books. This was my second attempt at an Asher book.

Next, The Silence of Stones by Jeri Westerson.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #28372
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've just finished The Secret Diaries by Elly Griffiths. I really enjoyed this mystery with a ghost story link.

I like Griffiths Ruth Galloway series, but had yet to read any of her other books. She's got one more stand alone book and another series. Those have definitely moved up on my TBR list.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #28373
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
High Tech Cyber Action and Adventure - Godeena

I'm finishing up Godeena by Stejepan Varesevac-Corbets

Godeena is a high tech cyber "Dirty Dozen" story full of action and adventure in space across several planets with a B story interwoven. The technology is well described, the action nonstop, characters interesting, and overall the story keeps the reader turning pages.

While I'm enjoying reading the book, it has flaws because the writer is not a native English speaker. There are speed bumps from oddly worded phrases and editorial issues that caused me to stop and reread a few times.

The book is a kindle unlimited and worth a try especially is you like the dirty dozen story where a bunch of losers grow up and come together in space for the impossible mission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Godeena.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	172168  

Last edited by ZGottlieb; 07-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #28374
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just downloaded to my Kindle is the latest Ava Lee novel from Ian Hamilton, The Mountain Master of Sha Tin. Everything else on my list now gets to wait!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #28375
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm still reading The History of the Hobbit, and I'm now through the text of the first couple of editions, and into the (new to me) proposed rewrite of 1960, which luckily never happened, as to my mind it's not as good as the original, although some bits did make it into the 1966 revision.

Fascinating stuff. But it's a long book!
Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #28376
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just been reading an anthology called Witch Lit edited by Laura Perry. It had two authors I recognise in it and proceeds support Books for Africa, so I figured I'd take a chance for .99. Some stories are better than others (I won't mention the poetry) but the good ones are well worth the price.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #28377
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished The Last Widow by Karin Slaughter this afternoon. It's the latest in the Will Trent series. The action started right away and didn't let up until the end. One of my favourite books, if not the favourite, of the year so far.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #28378
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Almost Interesting by David Spade. Guy uses too many commas, and I'm not certain whether all the misogyny is part of his shtick or he actually thinks that way. If the latter, then that's probably the primary reason why he's still single.

Anyway, some insight into his and Farley's relationship, another glimpse into the SNL scene, nothing much more.

Moving on to The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #28379
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'm still reading The History of the Hobbit, and I'm now through the text of the first couple of editions, and into the (new to me) proposed rewrite of 1960, which luckily never happened, as to my mind it's not as good as the original, although some bits did make it into the 1966 revision.

Fascinating stuff. But it's a long book!
I finished! And very good it was too, with fascinating insights into the composition and later updates to The Hobbit.

As a quick and fun read after just a long book, I read Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian. Good stuff, although I feel the consequences of the events depicted were downplayed.

Next up: Asimov's Sf Magazine for July/August 2019.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #28380
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Contest by Matthew Reilly.
After reading the synopsis it seemed like this book would be a fairly standard thriller. It didn't mention it featured
Spoiler:
aliens
If I had known that before starting I probably would have skipped this book. It was a fun, and very quick, read.

Synopsis:

Quote:
The New York State Library looms as a silent sanctuary of knowledge: a hundred-year-old labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow aisles, and spiral staircases. But for Dr Stephen Swain and his eight-year-old daughter Holly it is a place of nightmare. Because, for just one night, this historic building is to become the venue for a horrifying contest, a contest in which Swain must compete, whether he likes it or not.

The rules of the challenge are simple: seven contestants will enter, but only one will leave. With his daughter in his arms, Stephen Swain is plunged into a terrifying fight for survival. The stakes are high, the odds are brutal. He can choose to run, to hide, or to fight - but if he wants to live, he needs to win. For, in this particular contest, unless you leave as victor, you do not leave at all.