Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #31
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
@eReader fan

I really hope that Onyx will upgrade the Android version on your device. I have an Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM) and I am pretty happy with the support I get from Onyx Int. . But I had major issues with Buoyue Likebook customer services. They never got back to me back in Jan 2019 I sent them over 13 emails no reply. Then I kept the ereader as somehow the issues fixed by themselves. However, few weeks back my Likebook Mars would stop working, touchscreen would play up. Again I tried to contact Likebook manufacturers of course no would reply. The Amazon shop 3rd party seller is no longer active on the site. So I contacted Amazon (Germany) and they said they cant arrange the repair and as the order was fulfilled by Amazon so they have now given me a full refund. If I hadn't purchased the Likebook from Amazon I would have no option to get the refund (partial or full) or even get it repaired. From my personal experience, I would say avoid Buoyue Likebook ereaders, unless you are sure you can get better customer support from them.

I hope that Dasung would work out for you. Good luck!!

Last edited by Faeryink; 06-22-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #32
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The 2.1.2 update downloaded to my Nova (not Pro) yesterday.
Did you upgrade your plain Nova ?
Is it worth ?
I was waiting to read some general feedback , i guess you all are now happy reading books like crazy
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #33
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
Did you upgrade your Nova ? yes me too for Nova not Pro
Is it worth ? YES YES YES everything is faster and better displayed : e.g. the small menu of the battery settings in the top right that was displayed wrong now is ok, the general menu of Moon Reader, and other apps not planned for e-ink screen is displayed better and faster. Navigation ball is really great
I guess you all are now happy ? yes i am.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Did you upgrade your plain Nova ?
Is it worth ?
I was waiting to read some general feedback , i guess you all are now happy reading books like crazy
I also installed the 2.1.2 update on my plain Nova. I did not see huge improvements overall, but I did not experience the bugs that some people had with the last update.

For me, the big improvement is in NeoReader. The formatting of the pages is much better. Page turning is smoother. Some third party reader apps may still be better overall, but NeoReader has become a viable option.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
@eReader fan

I really hope that Onyx will upgrade the Android version on your device. I have an Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM) and I am pretty happy with the support I get from Onyx Int. . But I had major issues with Buoyue Likebook customer services. They never got back to me back in Jan 2019 I sent them over 13 emails no reply. Then I kept the ereader as somehow the issues fixed by themselves. However, few weeks back my Likebook Mars would stop working, touchscreen would play up. Again I tried to contact Likebook manufacturers of course no would reply. The Amazon shop 3rd party seller is no longer active on the site. So I contacted Amazon (Germany) and they said they cant arrange the repair and as the order was fulfilled by Amazon so they have now given me a full refund. If I hadn't purchased the Likebook from Amazon I would have no option to get the refund (partial or full) or even get it repaired. From my personal experience, I would say avoid Buoyue Likebook ereaders, unless you are sure you can get better customer support from them.

I hope that Dasung would work out for you. Good luck!!
I got an Onyx T68 and a Boyue T62 at the same time. I stopped using the Boyue pretty quick. Apps crashed it, the battery died on 50% without warning. I am still using the Onyx T68. It has its issues (it was a prototype) but it is still useful. I recently got an Onyx Poke. Again, it has its issues, but its pretty solid. Onyx have consistently responded to my emails. Based on my limited experience of hardware and customer support, I would buy Onyx if I want an Android ereader. Iwould not buy a Botoue.

I find some Onyx users are unhappy with some features, often software. My attitude with Android ereaders is that you have to be adaptable. Install multiple apps to suit your needs. Accept the little shortcomings and find workarounds. if you want an ereader that does everything it claims to perfectly, get a Kindle. The problem with a Kindle is that it does very little.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #36
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I also installed the 2.1.2 update on my plain Nova. I did not see huge improvements overall, but I did not experience the bugs that some people had with the last update.

For me, the big improvement is in NeoReader. The formatting of the pages is much better. Page turning is smoother. Some third party reader apps may still be better overall, but NeoReader has become a viable option.
Thank you all for first impressions.
This time neoreader 3.0 seems fine to me as well.
Zooming big newspapers pdf while keeping the page navigating the zoomed version, work great.
They could have kept the little ear sign on top right, to make bookmark.
I search it on all the menu to discover that was still there.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #37
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you want an ereader that does everything it claims to perfectly, get a Kindle Kobo.
Fixed that for you. Kobo's are much better if you're format agnostic (i.e., don't need the Kindle file format, which in any event can be converted to epub by calibre).

In my opinion the problem is that Android and the apps don't know about grayscale displays so using it for an e-reader is a shotgun marriage, at best. For example, one of the ebook readers I installed from the Play store uses a light brown background (instead of white) which makes reading text with it crap on e-ink. If it could query android and find out that it's on an e-ink device it could have used a white background. I don't remember if I ever got it working reasonably because its menus and UI were also using colors that didn't work well on the grayscale e-ink.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #38
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
For example, one of the ebook readers I installed from the Play store uses a light brown background (instead of white) which makes reading text with it crap on e-ink. If it could query android and find out that it's on an e-ink device it could have used a white background. I don't remember if I ever got it working reasonably because its menus and UI were also using colors that didn't work well on the grayscale e-ink.
That's where the floating Navigation Ball comes in handy.

Make one of the five available buttons the "App Optimization" option. That way, when you are inside an app, you can adjust different settings such as "Whiten Background", "Enhance Font" or "Enhance Icon" and see the difference such changes make real time.

I have found that some apps, which were initially almost unusable, became functional. I was then able to navigate to their menus to adjust the colour scheme so that it worked better in grayscale.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #39
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
does it still have the bug where holding a word to look it up doesn't work? you have to hold a second time for it to work.
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #40
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
does it still have the bug where holding a word to look it up doesn't work? you have to hold a second time for it to work.
Never noticed that bug. Probably because I don't use NeoReader all that much at the moment. However, just tested the lookup function on my Nova Pro with the 2.1.2 firmware and it worked fine. Holding on a word just the once was all that was needed.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #41
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Probably Boyue is going to do the same than Onyx, but let's see. I had the Likebook Mars and, as the Onyx Nova, I think it has a good enough firmware. It was stable and customizable, although all the little bugs they both have. Have to say I didnt try the Note taking app neither the native reader, because I use MoonReader.

Hope Boyue improves their technical support, and Onyx as well. What makes me have hope on Boyue is they had a strong beggining with the Nova and the Mimas, and now the Alita, so as with Onyx I know its so probable thry keep doing so much pretty the same, I dont know what is going to do Boyue in one year
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #42
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Anyone could post the Neo Reader 3.0 version from the latest firmware?

I have 11077-f434d31 on 2.0.1 firmware. It seems fine but it has a nasty bug. Sometimes it insist to turn on the zoom mode where I wish to read the doc in crop-to-page mode.

EDIT:

The current version of Neo Reader 3.0 is 11244-ab69646, way newer than the previous one floating around here.

Last edited by plusz; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add info
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote