Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #46
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xOrphenochx View Post
Thanks ALOT IceHand. I too was using JE-Comics and batch jobs SUCKED. I did find one error in your latest version. I am using a mac so I don't know if libtiff might have changed since then, but the -o for output needs to be before the .tif file name or else it won't convert to PDF.
You mean the tiff2pdf command? Strange, the order shouldn't really matter, but sure I can change it if it produces errors. Which version of libtiff are you using? (I have 3.8.2 installed)

By the way, did you need to change the script as serpentium did or did it work aside from the libtiff error?
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #47
xOrphenochx
xOrphenochx began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
You mean the tiff2pdf command? Strange, the order shouldn't really matter, but sure I can change it if it produces errors. Which version of libtiff are you using? (I have 3.8.2 installed)

By the way, did you need to change the script as serpentium did or did it work aside from the libtiff error?
Yes, sorry, that is where it had failed. With the latest Macports installed, 1.7 i think, I have LIBTIFF, Version 3.8.2 just as you do.

I reviewed the script when I got an error that it did not support multiple files and saw the tiffcp command which lead me to believe that where it was failing, I had did a manual merge with the tiffcp command which worked(I hadn't noticed the merged file in the hidden directory previously).

I tried to manually do a conversion and tiff2pdf failed with a simple tiff2pdf test.tff -o test.pdf command. Which produced that multiple files not supported error message along with "tiff2pdf [options] input.tiff" which since -o is an option I reversed it with success.

As for serpentium's edit, there was no need for me to do that. I might suggest that any errors that come about might be related to an outdated macports install, I know for one I never do an upgrade but every few months as it takes hours to compile all the new packages.

I would also commend you for the excellent output of the filters applied to the images before conversion. You will notice a huge difference between such manga as Berserk where it is lightly drawn. JE-Comics files were too light and yours came out at just the right darkness.

You sir, deserve a nice cold beer.

Last edited by xOrphenochx; 02-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.
xOrphenochx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #48
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Yes, sorry, that is where it had failed. With the latest Macports installed, 1.7 i think, I have LIBTIFF, Version 3.8.2 just as you do.
Right, I changed the order of the command, did some other small changes (see changelog) and uploaded a new version so that should fix the issue. Strange though that the order apparently doesn't matter on Linux, but does on Mac.

Quote:
As for serpentium's edit, there was no need for me to do that. I might suggest that any errors that come about might be related to an outdated macports install, I know for one I never do an upgrade but every few months as it takes hours to compile all the new packages.
I'm not really sure how this stuff works on a Mac – this Macports downloads the sources of the new versions of all your installed packages and compiles them?

Quote:
I would also commend you for the excellent output of the filters applied to the images before conversion. You will notice a huge difference between such manga as Berserk where it is lightly drawn. JE-Comics files were too light and yours came out at just the right darkness.

You sir, deserve a nice cold beer.
Thanks, I did a lot of tests with different programs and algorithms and went for best visual quality of the output. The downside of this is that the script is fairly slow and depends on (among others) the not very small Gimp.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #49
xOrphenochx

Quote:
Right, I changed the order of the command, did some other small changes (see changelog) and uploaded a new version so that should fix the issue. Strange though that the order apparently doesn't matter on Linux, but does on Mac.

I'm not really sure how this stuff works on a Mac – this Macports downloads the sources of the new versions of all your installed packages and compiles them?

Thanks, I did a lot of tests with different programs and algorithms and went for best visual quality of the output. The downside of this is that the script is fairly slow and depends on (among others) the not very small Gimp.
Macports is a shot off of Gentoo's port package system where it downloads the code and compiles it. Fink is also another package system that is along the lines of Debian's APT system.

I'll try out the new scripts and see how they go.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #50
xOrphenochx

I've noticed another bug, if there are rar and zips in the same directory the rar files will be skipped when running, but they are not listed as skipped.
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #51
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
I've noticed another bug, if there are rar and zips in the same directory the rar files will be skipped when running, but they are not listed as skipped.
That's strange, I've had quite a few directories where there were both rar- and zip-files, but the script never skipped a file. Are you sure the archives are not corrupt? If not, could you upload the directory somewhere so I can check it out myself?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #52
xOrphenochx

Quote:
That's strange, I've had quite a few directories where there were both rar- and zip-files, but the script never skipped a file. Are you sure the archives are not corrupt? If not, could you upload the directory somewhere so I can check it out myself?
I'll have to do that when I get home. I can run just the rar files through the script fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #53
xOrphenochx

Well I tried it again and no problem. Must have been a fluke.