Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #46
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
i have enabled these patches:
Code:
APPLY `Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks`
APPLY `Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen`
but i still see Kobo recommendations on home screen of my Kobo Aura 6":

Why?
May be you need also and this at nickel.yaml?

Remove footer (row3) on new home screen:
- Enabled: yes
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:09 PM   #47
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
May be you need also and this at nickel.yaml?

Remove footer (row3) on new home screen:
It worked! Thank you
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #48
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, and it'll probably come in the form of a NickelHook mod and/or a NickelMenu update. I just haven't had enough time to work on it yet.
Thanks for the feedback. Does that mean that most probably, a restart of the reading app will be needed as in Nickel menu today?

Thanks
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #49
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you look at the overrides section in the kobopatch.yaml, you can use that section to enable/disable patches. Once you have it set the way you want, you can copy/paste those settings into another file (I use overrides_saved.txt) which will not be overwritten when installing the new patch version.
Or diff/patch on anything Unixalike enough to run these tools.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #50
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Has the ability to enable ligatures in KePub via
Code:
body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}
disappeared with v73? Is this because there aren't enough characters available for replacement?
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #51
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
recent books (like stephen king books) has chapters of 2 or 3 pages and this drains the battery.
OMG THIS.

I don't notice the ghosting as much and when I do, I can easily toggle a page refresh by pulling up the reading menu so I prefer either a high number for auto page refresh or to disable it entirely.

You can still set the number manually by changing the numPartialUpdatePageTurns Reading option in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf to something higher than 10. I set mine to something ridiculously high like 1200 as so:

Code:
[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=1200
But you can change it to whatever you want.

If you then navigate to the option in Reading Settings, it'll be set to "OH THE HUMANITY!" (lol, still love it), but beware that once you click on the drop down menu, the value you inputted manually will be overwritten and you'll have to edit it again.

Last edited by rtiangha; 11-09-2021 at 02:20 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Has the ability to enable ligatures in KePub via
Code:
body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}
disappeared with v73?
This beta version should work for fw 4.28.xxxxx and above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Is this because there aren't enough characters available for replacement?
Yes that was exactly the problem. Read the second post in the above beta link for a bit more detail.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #53
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This beta version should work for fw 4.28.xxxxx and above.

Yes that was exactly the problem. Read the second post in the above beta link for a bit more detail.
Thank you so much! I copied the code from that issue over, and enabled it, and it's working for me again. I am using EB Garamond as my font and am honestly a little shocked how big of a difference this patch made to the appearance of this font. It looked so bad without it I was going to go back to Literata!
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
But I might be able to do even better.

I busted out the spreadsheet, and I noticed that the results obtained from

( font_size / 1.0 ) * 6.5

were actually very close to the results from the following formula

( font_size / 15.0 ) * 96

Which made me think, that might be the actual kepub formula, since the kepub scale_factor is 15.0, and 96 would make sense as a 'default' dpi.

So, I found the equivalent formula that can be achieved using the patch

( font_size / 2.5 ) * 16.0

Here's the patch with the updated numbers:
Thank you! Works perfectly on my Sage.

And of course many thanks to other patchers as well.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #55
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thank you! Works perfectly on my Sage.

And of course many thanks to other patchers as well.
Yay!

This updated patch should be included in the next patch release, whenever that occurs (probably the next firmware release).
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #56
Barruel
Enthusiast
Barruel began at the beginning.

Device: 3 x Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3 Manga Edition
Hi.

Yesterday I updated one of my Claras from firmware 4.26.16704 to the current 4.30.18838 and I'm having issues with font sizes.

The problem is that I have all my Claras set to the same margins, font, font size, line spacing and the rest of the reading layout stuff, but with the 4.30.18838 unit I'm unable to get the exact same font size I have in my other Claras. One step in font size is smaller than the font in the 4.26 Claras I'm using as a reference and the following is bigger. I'm testing with the same kepubs in all 3 devices.

I'm using the "Custom font sizes" patch, along with "Enable advanced settings for all fonts". Looking at libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, it says about the "Custom font sizes" patch that

Quote:
# This patch was rewritten for 18220 by @shermp.
I guess that this is what is making font sizes different between 4.26 and 4.30. I'm wondering if I can alter the patch values to match the sizes produced by the "Custom font sizes" patch over older firmwares such as 4.26.16704.

This is pretty cryptic to me:

Quote:
Custom font sizes:
- Description: |
Changes the range of sizes on the font size slider so that there are more of
the small sizes and fewer of the large sizes.
With this patch enabled you will not be able to select the very large font
sizes, but will be able to make finer adjustment to the smaller sizes.
# Font sizes depend on the device's screen density. Unpatched, the sizes
# increase in steps of 1 from the smallest size up to size 44, then in steps
# of 2 up to size 68, then in steps of 4 up to the largest size:
#
# Touch/Mini: 8px - 90px (39 steps)
# AuraHD/AuraH2O/Libra2: 8px - 150px (54 steps)
# GloHD/ClaraHD: 10px - 150px (52 steps)
# LibraH2O: 11px - 150px (51 steps)
# AuraOne/Forma/Elipsa/Sage: 14px - 195px (59 steps)
# Aura/Glo/Nia: 8px - 122px (47 steps)
#
# The example replacement values in this patch result in the following ranges,
# with increases in steps of 1 from the smallest size up to size 44, then
# steps of 2 up to size 68, then steps of 4 up to the largest size:
#
# Touch/Mini: 8px - 80px (52 steps)
# AuraHD/AuraH2O/Libra2: 8px - 108px (59 steps)
# GloHD/ClaraHD: 10px - 108px (57 steps)
# LibraH2O: 11px - 108px (56 steps)
# AuraOne/Forma/Elipsa/Sage: 14px - 132px (59 steps)
# Aura/Glo/Nia: 8px - 88px (54 steps)
#
# Note (pgaskin): The device values can be determined with info from
# https://gist.github.com/pgaskin/613b...c50ee32f5e167e and
# the Device::is* calls.
#
# This patch was rewritten for 18220 by @shermp.
#
- BaseAddress: "N3FontTypeUtil::fontSizes()"
# Initial font size:
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 364, Find: 8, Replace: 8} # Other devices
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 360, Find: 11, Replace: 11} # LibraH2O
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 36, Find: 10, Replace: 10} # GloHD/ClaraHD
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 392, Find: 14, Replace: 14} # Forma/AuraOne/Sage/Elipsa
# Increment:
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 78, Find: 21, Replace: 43} # Add font sizes in increments of 1 until this size exceeded
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 88, Find: 22, Replace: 44} # Continue from this font size
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 218, Find: 49, Replace: 67} # Add font sizes in increments of 2 until this size exceeded
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 224, Find: 50, Replace: 68} # Continue from this font size
# Now increment by +4 until final font size:
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 410, Find: 90, Replace: 80} # Other devices
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 414, Find: 122, Replace: 88} # Aura/Glo/Nia
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 50, Find: 150, Replace: 108} # LibraH2O/AuraHD/ClaraHD/GloHD/AuraH2O/Libra2
- ReplaceInt: {Offset: 388, Find: 195, Replace: 132} # Forma/AuraOne/Sage/Elipsa
But I wonder if I can get my old sizes back by altering those values.

Last edited by Barruel; 11-10-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Barruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #57
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barruel View Post
Hi.

Yesterday I updated one of my Claras from firmware 4.26.16704 to the current 4.30.18838 and I'm having issues with font sizes.

The problem is that I have all my Claras set to the same margins, font, font size, line spacing and the rest of the reading layout stuff, but with the 4.30.18838 unit I'm unable to get the exact same font size I have in my other Claras. One step in font size is smaller than the font in the 4.26 Claras I'm using as a reference and the following is bigger. I'm testing with the same kepubs in all 3 devices.

I'm using the "Custom font sizes" patch, along with "Enable advanced settings for all fonts". Looking at libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, it says about the "Custom font sizes" patch that

I guess that this is what is making font sizes different between 4.26 and 4.30. I'm wondering if I can alter the patch values to match the sizes produced by the "Custom font sizes" patch over older firmwares such as 4.26.16704.

This is pretty cryptic to me:

But I wonder if I can get my old sizes back by altering those values.
I used replacement values from the old patch with the hope things would stay mostly the same. Sorry it hasn't quite worked for you.

You will probably want to modify the middle group (# Add font sizes in increments of 1 until this size exceeded). You will want the change the value of Replace: xx. For example, to add more 1-step increments, change 43 and 44, note the # Continue from this font size values MUST be one more than the Replace value in the preceding line.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #58
Barruel
Enthusiast
Barruel began at the beginning.

Device: 3 x Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3 Manga Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I used replacement values from the old patch with the hope things would stay mostly the same. Sorry it hasn't quite worked for you.

You will probably want to modify the middle group (# Add font sizes in increments of 1 until this size exceeded). You will want the change the value of Replace: xx. For example, to add more 1-step increments, change 43 and 44, note the # Continue from this font size values MUST be one more than the Replace value in the preceding line.
Thanks.

According to the sqlite file, my font size for that book is 37, which is within the range of sizes of 1-step increment.

It looks like I need even finer tuning. Something like 0,5 step increments.

Is there a workaround for this?

Looking closely at it, it is no just the size of the font. The characters seem closer to each other with the older firmware. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere...

Last edited by Barruel; 11-10-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Barruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #59
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It's hard for me to test Libra 2 stuff since I don't have one nor any other device in the same class, but I'll see if I can figure out the cause next week.
I have the Libra 2, but on the 4.30.18838 firmware I'm not having the same trouble with these patches. I can confirm that both reduce header/footer height and enable advanced features for all fonts works just fine for me. I don't use (and haven't tried) the reduce bottom/top spacer patch.

On the other hand, the patch that doesn't work for me -- either on my Libra 2 or Forma under the latest firmware, is the don't use uppercase for header/footer. It works for the footer, but the header still has "CHAPTER" all in uppercase. Go figure.

You do great work, Geek1011, as does JackieW. I am still eternally grateful for your both buttons go forward and tap anywhere goes forward patches.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #60
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
but the header still has "CHAPTER" all in uppercase.
View your book using Sigil or Calibre. If there is a "CHAPTER" typed in uppercase, then the patch should not change this. He doesn't change it.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching