Old 12-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Calibre Companion not Working - Upgrade Needed no Upgrade

Hi All

I went to use CC today on my Samsung S21 Ultra, I get a message saying

"Please update this app from the Amazon Appstore" this gives me a quit or update button

The update button takes me to the store which shows I have the latest version

Quit exits the app

It won't let me do anything else with the app.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
CC is abandonware.
Ever since they tried to change to a subscription model, things went poorly.
I have the last Muti-pie version (the originators), which just worked.

I can understand the originators got tired of fighting Apple and Android OS updates that broke things at every turn.

If you just bought it, ask for your money back. If you had it for a while...Sorry
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:05 AM   #3
SASSBS
Connoisseur

I wonder if the new owners would consider putting the code up as open source so others, maybe a team, can continue the app - its the only real solution for Kindle and phones to interact with Calibre wirelessly so we need an app that works and is maintained.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kindles (and Kobos) HAVE AN 'EXPERIMENTAL' BROWSER. (it is on the menus, DEEP down)

You might try that with the Calibre Content server
note, you will need to do a LOT behind the scenes after downloading a file (book). It will not come even close to what CC offered, but at least it was wireless.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindles (and Kobos) HAVE AN 'EXPERIMENTAL' BROWSER. (it is on the menus, DEEP down)

You might try that with the Calibre Content server
note, you will need to do a LOT behind the scenes after downloading a file (book). It will not come even close to what CC offered, but at least it was wireless.

It's been few months, but I don't recall having to do anything after using Content Server to download a file to any of our Kindles (eink or tablets). That was my wife's main method of side loading for while. Never saw a need to try CC.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
I wonder if the new owners would consider putting the code up as open source so others, maybe a team, can continue the app - its the only real solution for Kindle and phones to interact with Calibre wirelessly so we need an app that works and is maintained.
It's amusing to me the total lack of support / involvement by Sam. One would think that a vibrant and active community would be something that would be a fantastic selling point for a developer looking to find a new owner for a product.

Instead Sam appears to have totally abandoned this community.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
SASSBS
Connoisseur

yeah it's a shame, I contacted them for support but never got a response.
It's a shame especially as there is no alternative available that is not very manual.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #8
lamnguyen
lamnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paper white
I switched to Calibre Sync, never look back since.
lamnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #9
SASSBS
Connoisseur

hadn't herd of it before but it looks like it doesn't have all the features I use, I could be wrong.

No ability to have my whole library on the device

No ability to mark a book as read and have it sync to calibre using custom columns.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
arsalan.siddiqui
arsalan.siddiqui began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Kindle
Please provide reviews on google play store etc so that other people stop buying this tool.
arsalan.siddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #11
arsalan.siddiqui
arsalan.siddiqui began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Kindle
Post How is people's experience with Calibre Sync?

Hello everyone, just wanted to know before I make another purchase and regret after

How is Calibre Sync? Does it work with cloud provider Box and will show me my library?
arsalan.siddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:53 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I use it for over a year

Once you stop expecting a clone of the dead cc, and learn what it can, can't do. It is a very good buy.

E.g. it allows for a.view of all local copies you can open books correctly from that,no need for a local library app
I use it with a mirror of my calibre library updated into Dropbox .and with moon reader for epub, acrobat for pdf. I don't bother wifh shelves and favourites in moon reader, I use filters and sort facilities in calibre sync to find stuff.

Big positive is that the developer responds to his customers .
And if you want to download your entire library,you can. Dunno why previous commenter says u can't?

Theres not ever going to be a future complete cc clone. Some bespoke cc features were too difficult to make work with all versions of android, that's why it was sold then abandoned

Last edited by stumped; 01-20-2022 at 02:58 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
update