Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Amazon Set Me Free

I have used the Kindle app on Android for many years. Lately it has become more and more heavy handed in trying to force me to buy books from the market even though they are sitting on my Kindle (tablet). Currently selecting the "Library" only shows the last 6-7 books downloaded and if I want something a week old I have to go searching for it and even then it takes some doing to find it. I can't figure out how to get it to display all the books in the library like it would on the PC.

Is there some magic setting I missed?

Is it time to go to an alternative reader not tied to the death star? (Google looks interesting).
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's working fine for me. Try these steps:
- Make sure you are either on WiFi or allow the app to use cellular data
- Select Library at the bottom and All at the top
- Check your filters (icon to the left of All) and make sure you don't have any selected
- Check your view (icon to the right of Downloaded) and make sure you're not in Collections view
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Swapping to Google because of concerns about Amazon's heavy handed control of data would be like saying "this frying pan's too hot, I'm going to sit in the fire"

Of the big players in the ebook market, Kobo MIGHT be fractionally less Orwellian, it is definitely easier to take control of their devices and use them as one sees fit.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon isn't trying to make you buy books you already own, that are in your library. You just need to use the correct "sort" to view ALL instead of DOWNLOADED.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
I have used the Kindle app on Android for many years. Lately it has become more and more heavy handed in trying to force me to buy books from the market even though they are sitting on my Kindle (tablet). Currently selecting the "Library" only shows the last 6-7 books downloaded and if I want something a week old I have to go searching for it and even then it takes some doing to find it. I can't figure out how to get it to display all the books in the library like it would on the PC.

Is there some magic setting I missed?

Is it time to go to an alternative reader not tied to the death star? (Google looks interesting).
Can you share which version of the app you have? You can find this in the MORE menu (tap Info, then About).

LIBRARY is the only place where you won’t see books they are hoping to sell to you. In general, if you start there to open the book, when you close the book, it will return to LIBRARY. And it should stay set to LIBRARY between app sessions, unless there’s an update or you force close the app, when it will revert to HOME. I could do without this HOME thing altogether (Kindle devices and the iOS Kindle app have this also), but at least you can mostly ignore it (on iOS, you cannot actually purchase in-app due to Apple policy).

Sometimes the listing gets out of sync with what is in the Cloud, and the automatic refresh (or manual ‘pull down’ refresh) doesn’t correct it. To fix this, go to the MORE menu and select Sync. This will do a full refresh (it can take as long as a minute or more, depending on what is downloaded and how many items are in your library). I had to do this just now to get Collections to show up in the Kindle app on my Android tablet.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #6
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
On reexamination what is happening is the newly downloaded books on my Android version of Kindle don't show up under "Library" at first. Instead they seem to be on "Main" at the top in a single strip. Yes the Library display menus and filters are set correctly. That is not the issue. I eventually can find the books. The bigger issue is my 89 year old mother who can't find her books every time they decide to tweek the UI (for whatever reason). I am using the latest version of the Android app--I always keep my apps current (except the PC)
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Newly added books seem to be invisible on some Kindles till they are indexed. Especially if a lot are added at once. They are immediately available using search and the Title.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Newly added books seem to be invisible on some Kindles till they are indexed. Especially if a lot are added at once. They are immediately available using search and the Title.
This is Kindle for Android. I’d doesn’t do indexing.

If somehow Sort order of Library is Author or Title (instead of Recent) then your newer books will not be at the top of the pile in LIBRARY view. Did you check this?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle app, library