Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Onyx Boox e-ink phone E43 (or E45)

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy the Onyx Boox e-ink phone (E43/E45/Barcelona/Midia or any other name it went by) these days? It's not in stock on the regular Chinese e-commerce sites (Banggod/AliExpress).

And before people ask me why I'm looking for such an outdated device - I'd like a portable e-ink device with a front light, Android and mobile connectivity and it appears that the E43 is the only device that fits.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
So far as I know there was only a limited production run.

You might be able to find a used one, but they are incredibly rare.

I don't even own one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So far as I know there was only a limited production run.

You might be able to find a used one, but they are incredibly rare.

I don't even own one.
I have one. It's slow ... the one thing it demonstrates is the potential of a pure e-ink mobile phone.

PS: Incredible rare? Sounds great ...

Last edited by joblack; 05-08-2016 at 03:07 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Artorius
Lurker
Artorius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yotaphone

There's also the Yotaphone.
Artorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all!

Artorius - Unfortunately, Yotaphone does not have a frontlight on its e-ink screen.

joblack - I don't really plan to use it as a phone, just as a portable e-book reader with internet connectivity, so I don't need it to be fast.
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
I am interested to buy some e-ink 3G 6 inch smartphone with dual sim support, with flexible e-mobius. It would be nice portable e-reader/phone.

I do not need two displays as of Yotaphone.

I have read that users of the early e-ink onyx phone, covered by glass, had some problems while reading the books under the direct sunlight.

Last edited by xtech; 05-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy the Onyx Boox e-ink phone (E43/E45/Barcelona/Midia or any other name it went by) these days? It's not in stock on the regular Chinese e-commerce sites (Banggod/AliExpress).
The problem was they manufactured phones with bogus IMEI numbers, so in many cases the phones were unusable on cellular networks.

When this became apparent all distributors quickly pulled the phones and so only a very limited number got manufacturer.

I wanted to get one, because I liked the idea of pocketable 5" device with frontlight and Android (limited one, but still ...). The first batch from Onyx was very quickly sold out and there were no more batches
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
There's also the Yotaphone.
The Yotaphone 2 looks nice, too.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Hi,

And before people ask me why I'm looking for such an outdated device - I'd like a portable e-ink device with a front light, Android and mobile connectivity and it appears that the E43 is the only device that fits.
Hi,

I still have three units in my sample stock. If you want to buy one, please write a PM. We didn't sold them since the produced quantity was too low.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

I still have three units in my sample stock. If you want to buy one, please write a PM. We didn't sold them since the produced quantity was too low.
Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee!

I WANT THEM!

Mine! Mine! Mine!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
afainber
Connoisseur

Thanks Booxtor,

Wrote you a PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee!

I WANT THEM!

Mine! Mine! Mine!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Hey, I'll settle for just one, but i do want them - BAD.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Hey, I'll settle for just one, but i do want them - BAD.
Yeah but I don't understand why? It's not that great.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Yeah but I don't understand why? It's not that great.
Because it's one of the few devices I don't have.