Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Historical fiction set in New Zealand

My historical novels are available in various ebook formats on Smashwords. Book 1, Sentence of Marriage, is FREE.

Edited to add: I've a new (and free) short story up at Smashwords:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22069

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 08-19-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Just downloaded it and will check it out tomorrow night if I have time or saturday if not.

Any chance you can give us a brief synopsis?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Just downloaded it and will check it out tomorrow night if I have time or saturday if not.

Any chance you can give us a brief synopsis?
Thank you!

A brief, hopefully spoiler-free, synopsis:

“Sentence of Marriage” is the first book in the three-volume “Promises to Keep”. The entire work covers twenty-five years; this first volume takes Amy from the ages of twelve to sixteen.

Amy is a bright and imaginative girl who dreams of an exciting life in the world beyond the farming valley where she lives. But in nineteenth century New Zealand, there are few choices for a farm girl like Amy, and her life seems mapped out for her by the time she is twelve.

She meets a young man who seems to offer a path to that exciting world, and who quickly sweeps this lonely girl off her feet. For a magical few months, life is full of golden promise. And then her world collapses around her.

Amy is offered what she sees as a way of atoning for the shame she feels she’s brought on her family, especially the father she adores: marriage to a man she barely knows. It means a heartbreaking choice.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
This actually sounds quite interesting to me. Many guys could probably tease me because I have always been a big fan of female writers such as jane austen and Laura Ingalls.

I think two things actually made me interested in your novel, if you'd care to hear it. The title initially. I am a married man of 13 years and the title of " sentence of marriage" cracked me the hell up. I can relate sometimes. Also the whole idea that this takes place in New Zealand, in which I know nothing about but you do, makes its sound like I get a taste of a different culture by someone who can identify.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
This actually sounds quite interesting to me. Many guys could probably tease me because I have always been a big fan of female writers such as jane austen and Laura Ingalls.

I think two things actually made me interested in your novel, if you'd care to hear it. The title initially. I am a married man of 13 years and the title of " sentence of marriage" cracked me the hell up. I can relate sometimes. Also the whole idea that this takes place in New Zealand, in which I know nothing about but you do, makes its sound like I get a taste of a different culture by someone who can identify.
Thanks for that. It's *really* good to hear what catches a potential reader's attention.

And, oh, how I admire a man who admits to appreciating writers like Austen! I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the number of men who've said something along the lines of, "I usually read thrillers, but I really enjoyed this."

Yes, it's very much a story of New Zealand, set in places (although not times!) I remember from childhood.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Shayne Parkinson
Author

A review of Sentence of Marriage.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I've nearly finished book 3 in this series, and I love the books... They'll definitely be read more than once.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I've nearly finished book 3 in this series, and I love the books... They'll definitely be read more than once.
Lovely to hear that :-) Thanks, Lene.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I've read Sentence of Marriage, so far, and thought it was a really good read
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm now on to the sequel to Promises to keep
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I've read Sentence of Marriage, so far, and thought it was a really good read
Great to hear! Thank you.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
I'm now on to the sequel to Promises to keep
Wonderful to know that, Lene!

I didn't originally intend to write a sequel to Promises to keep; in fact I was quite sure I wouldn't. But I found that I couldn't stop wondering what the characters were doing, and how they were all getting on, so I decided to find out
Old 05-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Just sharing the wonderful review MobileRead's rhadin gave my books here. I'm still bouncing! And am all the more inspired to get on with my work-in-progress.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Just sharing the wonderful review MobileRead's rhadin gave my books here. I'm still bouncing! And am all the more inspired to get on with my work-in-progress.
If I knew how to write a good review, it would be smashing...
Old 05-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
If I knew how to write a good review, it would be smashing...
Warm words are always appreciated, whether short or long

Tags
free, historical fiction, new zealand, victorian