Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2024, 01:11 PM   #2431
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Some customers still ask me if I miss the mall and I give them an emphatic no.
Ok, but surely you must miss the "Food Courts" with their enticing aroma of hot grease?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #2432
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I cannot tell a lie (that is a lie I can and have) but I too loved handling and the smell of books in bookshops. Second hand bookshops especially and almost lived in my local library until I found out the Central Library was within easy walking distance. That was definitely my second home in the 1960s.

For reading I now prefer an eReader as my eyesight is poor and slowly getting worse. Also collecting books is easier. But I still have a lot of nostalgia for paper books

Ah those were the days.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM   #2433
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Blurry upscaled cover images.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:38 PM   #2434
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What do you think is the ideal cover resolution? I don't like blurry upscales either, but I also don't like it when books use gigantic covers that inflate the size of the book.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:05 PM   #2435
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
What do you think is the ideal cover resolution? I don't like blurry upscales either, but I also don't like it when books use gigantic covers that inflate the size of the book.
I use a size of 1680 lines and I keep the aspect ratio correct. and I losslessly recompress the cover with a value of 70%. I don't notice any difference in quality and the cover is smaller but large enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 05:05 PM   #2436
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ideally, I prefer minimum 1000px height. But it has to be clear. Older out-of-print books I often either get very tiny images that were scaled up to a blurry mess, or (shudders) camera photos.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:07 PM   #2437
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Blurry upscaled cover images.
Generic covers because the publisher is a cheap SOB and won't pay to get the eBook rights to the real cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:14 PM   #2438
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
How about when the library is showing the ebook and the audio book side by side and the photo of the author on the cover is alternately squeezed and stretched?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:01 PM   #2439
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Ideally, I prefer minimum 1000px height. But it has to be clear. Older out-of-print books I often either get very tiny images that were scaled up to a blurry mess, or (shudders) camera photos.
I've taken camera photos of a few covers on my paper books that I wanted on the ebook editions and couldn't find online with good enough resolution. They turned out pretty well, but then I took care to use good light and angle, and did some post-processing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:15 PM   #2440
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I use a size of 1680 lines and I keep the aspect ratio correct. and I losslessly recompress the cover with a value of 70%. I don't notice any difference in quality and the cover is smaller but large enough.
Is that a typo? Did you mean to say you do lossy compression?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #2441
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've taken camera photos of a few covers on my paper books that I wanted on the ebook editions and couldn't find online with good enough resolution. They turned out pretty well, but then I took care to use good light and angle, and did some post-processing.
Yeah, you take care. The photographs that I'm shuddering at have the book at an awkward angle, the picture blurry, and the camera flash on.

Back when I had a scanner I used to just throw my books on the flatbed and scan the covers. It worked up until something went wrong with the thing and it started spewing rainbow lines on everything. (I'm all for LGBT+ equality, but not on my scans.)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-07-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:28 PM   #2442
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would naturally gravitate towards something like 1280x1920 to ensure no upscaling is required on 8" readers, but I have books with 800x1200 covers and never would have known if I hadn't checked, so I don't think upscaling is a huge problem as long as the image is clean.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:41 PM   #2443
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

For what little it matters, my generated covers are 400 x 640, which fits well on my Kobo screen. But they're just a title and author, not actual art.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:49 AM   #2444
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My personal preferences are 1000x1500 (common 2:3 aspect ratio on many covers and 1125x1500 for 3x4 aspect ratio covers. Enough resolution to look okay on my ereaders and not so high that the cover image is 80%+ of the ebook size. One recent purchase had a cover image that was 3600x5612 and an author head shot that was 2832x4256 (according to it's EXIF, straight from a DLSR image).

The only images I will use at higher resolution are maps or similar images internal to the ebook in which case I will send them as kepub to allow zooming the image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:27 AM   #2445
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Ideally, I prefer minimum 1000px height.
Quote:
my generated covers are 400 x 640
You do know that 640 is less than 1000, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My personal preferences are 1000x1500 (common 2:3 aspect ratio on many covers and 1125x1500 for 3x4 aspect ratio covers.
Le gasp! Not mod16! Not even mod8! The horror!