Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Kindle Voyage user has a new Kobo Aura One Limited Edition

I've had a Voyage since they first came out (actually on my 3rd physical one -- 1st was stolen, 2nd died while under warranty and was replaced). I've been happy with it but the battery seems to be going -- it doesn't hold a charge the way it used to. I need to charge it weekly were as before it lasted much longer. Also a couple of times recently I had to factory reset it reload all my books. It was not finding books I new were there (and Calibre could see). From my research it was probably a corrupted book that was crashing the indexing task.

My brother bought an Oasis, didn't like it and let me borrow it and I didn't like it either.

So I bought a Kobo Aura One Limited Edition and it arrived last week. I should mention that for the past 5 years or so my books have mostly come from non Amazon sources (Story Bundles, Phoenix, Baen, etc.) so I am not as stuck with the Kindle ecosystem as some. I do have a bunch of Amazon books and the Voyage (or my iPhone or iPad) will work fine when I want to re-read any of those.

So so far I am loving the Kobo. I miss the haptic press areas on the Voyage and the Kobo is a bit heavier but oh the screen I set up the collections/shelves the way described here and suddenly my books are all organized the way I want them. I probably will put most of my library on the Kobo -- not just because there is room but I can now find books easily.

I signed in to overdrive with my local library card and borrowed a book just because I could -- sorry if you were waiting for that one (It's now #2 on my todo list so I will get to it). I pretty much only checked out books with the Overdrive app on my phone(s).

The different UI is taking a bit to get used to but that is just a matter of time. Things are also much more responsive than the Voyage .

Now it very new (and an upgrade w.r.t. processor, et) so it is not surprising that I like it. Who knows, a few months from now I may be one of those bitching about the firmware, light leaks, poor response but for now I love it.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I've had a Voyage since they first came out (actually on my 3rd physical one -- 1st was stolen, 2nd died while under warranty and was replaced). I've been happy with it but the battery seems to be going -- it doesn't hold a charge the way it used to. I need to charge it weekly were as before it lasted much longer. Also a couple of times recently I had to factory reset it reload all my books. It was not finding books I new were there (and Calibre could see). From my research it was probably a corrupted book that was crashing the indexing task.

My brother bought an Oasis, didn't like it and let me borrow it and I didn't like it either.

So I bought a Kobo Aura One Limited Edition and it arrived last week. I should mention that for the past 5 years or so my books have mostly come from non Amazon sources (Story Bundles, Phoenix, Baen, etc.) so I am not as stuck with the Kindle ecosystem as some. I do have a bunch of Amazon books and the Voyage (or my iPhone or iPad) will work fine when I want to re-read any of those.

So so far I am loving the Kobo. I miss the haptic press areas on the Voyage and the Kobo is a bit heavier but oh the screen I set up the collections/shelves the way described here and suddenly my books are all organized the way I want them. I probably will put most of my library on the Kobo -- not just because there is room but I can now find books easily.

I signed in to overdrive with my local library card and borrowed a book just because I could -- sorry if you were waiting for that one (It's now #2 on my todo list so I will get to it). I pretty much only checked out books with the Overdrive app on my phone(s).

The different UI is taking a bit to get used to but that is just a matter of time. Things are also much more responsive than the Voyage .

Now it very new (and an upgrade w.r.t. processor, et) so it is not surprising that I like it. Who knows, a few months from now I may be one of those bitching about the firmware, light leaks, poor response but for now I love it.

You'll probably continue to love it. I've owned the Voyage, have the Oasis 2, but my go to reader is the Kobo Aura ONE. You'll get used to the Kobo interface, I prefer it, as I hate having to make 2 taps to bookmark something or go into settings to change lighting on my Kindle.

Illustrated books look great on this device, I might add! I think Kindle Previewer tends to over compress JPEGs, because when I make books, the epub illustrations are always much crisper on the Kobo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've had a number of readers over the years--have had a Voyage four years and a Kobo Aura One for two and a half. They are now my "go to" readers. I tend to switch between them and would hate to have to give either of them up. I always look at the newer models from each company, but haven't been tempted. I would love it if the Aura One had the haptic buttons of the Voyage--and if the Voyage had the more configurable user interface of the Kobo.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I've had a number of readers over the years--have had a Voyage four years and a Kobo Aura One for two and a half. They are now my "go to" readers. I tend to switch between them and would hate to have to give either of them up. I always look at the newer models from each company, but haven't been tempted. I would love it if the Aura One had the haptic buttons of the Voyage--and if the Voyage had the more configurable user interface of the Kobo.

I would love my Oasis 2 more if it didn't have the odd shape and just haptic buttons like the Voyage (which I turned off and didn't use). And of course, an 8" screen, LOL! But I use both readers. After I finish the library book on my Kobo, have a book my physical therapist recommended queued on the Kindle, as it wasn't available in the Kobo store.

I like having the Kindle around for proofreading, since highlighting and note taking are more responsive. That, and I can sync personal documents so my notes are safe.

I can easily keep two readers busy.... And then there is that comfy feeling of having backup.... I'm one of those who would feel pretty lost without a reader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I read my Kindle books on a Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm a Voyage junkie (I have 4 now),but if I decide to get a Kobo again, I'll use your suggestion.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
So far I am still loving it. The big test will come next month when I take a three week trip to Germany. I still sometimes press where the page turn areas are on the Voyage but slowly curing myself of that.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Glad that you enjoy it!

I certainly enjoy my Aura One as well!
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote