Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Fooo
Fooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage Wifi
Unhappy Factory Reset of Kindle Voyage not working

TL;DR: Kindle Voyage is booting fine but factory reset is not possible (neither via menu nor via file). Any ideas?

Using a Kindle Voyage Wifi with FW 5.8.10 I tried to load ~100 books via Calibre at the same time. After some time the device froze. After a restart it would freeze again after some (~30 seconds) of usage and I had to press the power button for a long time to restart it every time.

I decided to factory reset the device from the menu. It booted into a "please wait" screen and got stuck there. After several hours I did a restart via button again and all settings and books where still shown (factory reset not working).
At this point I could not open books anymore (error "content not available").

Then I connected via USB and my PC told me that the drive was not formatted . So after some more tries with factory resets and chkdsk I formatted the drive. After that I could place files on the drive again.
When putting books via Calibre they would not show up in the library of the device. Books could also not be downloaded from the cloud anymore.

I tried:
  • Manual FW update with file from Amazon (update will not install on reboot and menu item is greyed out)
  • File DO_FACTORY_RESTORE (is ignored)

And yes, the battery is full.
Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
Fooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I’ll be curious to see if it’s able to be saved. I’ve known more than one person who has killed their Kindle by using a computer’s file management to do as you did.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Fooo
Fooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage Wifi
Well at the time I decided to format the drive the device was already unusable anymore and a factory reset did not work either.
Fooo is offline   Reply With Quote