Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
meRobs
Enthusiast
meRobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Forma froze and unresponsive

While reading an eBook, and turning pages by swiping, my 5-month old Forma stopped working for no apparent reason. I tried more swiping from various positions and page-turning using the buttons: nothing. I tried the power switch, even holding it down for 10 sec or so, a number of times: nothing. Then, I tried putting it on charge with the USB cable: no reaction for three hours (charging LED still off and the screen still on). So, I removed the USB cable and left the Forma overnight with the screen fully lit and showing the last page of the eBook that had been read. I did not try a Factory reset.

Next morning the screen was blank with the “Please charge” warning. So I reconnected the USB for charging, which showed the LED on and responding. At 97% charged, I unplugged it. It worked, with page turning by either swiping or via the buttons. I then noticed that the power button sits proud of the side, rather than flush with the surface of the eReader, as it seemed to be when the above had happened. Maybe, when the device had froze the power button had been stuck or jammed in flush?

Has anyone else experienced a like problem or make a comment?
Can anyone suggest a way out if the problem re-occurs?
If the power button is jammed in, how to restore it?

A quick Google failed to reveal any place in Sydney that offers repairs for a Kobo?

Last edited by meRobs; 06-25-2019 at 12:17 AM.
meRobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Your device might be faulty, but I think you just counted seconds a little too fast.. Hold that power button until the device finally shuts down (Light turns off, there will be no other change on the screen.) I think I counted closer to 20 once, but I was probably counting fast too.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
meRobs
Enthusiast
meRobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks rashke. I think the power button was jammed in, as I suggested above.
From now on I shall be more carefull when pressing it.
meRobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
I had a buggy Forma (have since exchanged it and new one has been great), but freezing was one of the issues I encountered. I was able to restart the device by holding in the power button for much longer than 10 seconds--basically as rashkae said, I held the button in until something happened.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote