Notices

Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Audio recording only, not screen

Hi all,

Some of you will now and then use recording the screen (video & audio) on the IPad.

I wonder if there is a trick or an app with which I could record audio only for example while listening a program on the radio or, above all, a podcast. For example I have a podcast of a call-in show and I would like to record one caller and the response.

On the IPad there is a voice memo app. But I could not have made it to record something of the Podcast app which I have turned on after I pressed record on the voice memo. The voice memo app stopps then.

I also used an app called WavePad - similiar problem.

Does anyone know a good recording option for the IPad for just recording the audio which is currently being played by the IPad?
Or an app with which I could pick up the podcast and then be able to trim it?

Last edited by tommyer; 05-03-2019 at 01:54 PM.
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I know of Mac programs that will do this, but I can't say that I've heard of an iPad program that will do it. I suppose if you can get the podcast as a downloadable mp3 file, then you can edit the mp3 file.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Recording shows, even just the audio, is usually forbidden under USA law without the express permissions from the owner of that media. I would think that is also true in most countries. So I doubt you will find an easy way to do it because Apple probably has at least tried to prevent those kinds of unauthorized recordings. After all, Apple gets paid to stream those shows/podcasts and likely has some strict contractual agreements with the media owners, as do cable, satellite, and other streaming companies. There might be some 3rd party apps that can do it, at least until Apple catches on and bans them. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Your best bet might be to use a second device to record the podcasts off of the first device, but that would mean using the microphone on the second device to record the sounds emitted from the speakers on the first device, so quality won't be as good. A cheap digital recorder would work, or of course another iPad, iPhone, or computer.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend making unauthorized recordings of any kind. However, what you do is none of my business. Such recording considerations are between you and the media owner(s).

Last edited by OtinG; 05-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I know of Mac programs that will do this, but I can't say that I've heard of an iPad program that will do it. I suppose if you can get the podcast as a downloadable mp3 file, then you can edit the mp3 file.
Thanks for your answer. Interesting, isn‘t it, that there may be no program to do that on the IPad while the screen recording being such a fantastic progress for that (although videos recorded on screen take lots of storage compared to downloading smaller video files, but this is not always possible and that‘s why the option is so great, closing the gap).

Regarding podcast and downloadable mp3 file, I had until today a hard time to get audio files out of the Apple podcast app. AFAIK there is no way to export files from there to somewhere else within the IPad (for example by sharing). Even transfering those files to a Windows PC had not been really straightforward (with ITunes) the last time I checked. The problem was, at least, to get files out of ITunes on the PC because there seemed not be an option to move around these files on the PC. And so forth. I tried an app called Syncos (or something like that) but results were not good. Sorry for writing that much. There should be a solution that I may be overlook.

Which app would you recommend for editing mp3 on IOs?

Last edited by tommyer; 05-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Your best bet might be to use a second device to record the podcasts off of the first device, but that would mean using the microphone on the second device to record the sounds emitted from the speakers on the first device, so quality won't be as good. A cheap digital recorder would work, or of course another iPad, iPhone, or computer.
[/I]
I thought of that, too. Generally I did put that off because I expect not good enough quality. The best bet of that would be to use some decent loudspeakers for recording with, in my case, my smartphone.

Regarding your copyright related comments, I would respond that it is possible at this moment to record a podcast distributed by Apple by using the screen recording option of the IPad. It is just totally inefficient and will eat out all your storage.

I live in Germany; there it is perfectly legal to download the mp3 of a call-in show (produced by the publicly funded broadcasters) and have it on your PC. I am sure there is no restriction to you editing the file and cutting out the sequence you want and store it. (Even for that task I am still searching for a good program.) Now, if you want to upload some of this material to YouTube, that could be a copyright infringement. Until today, nobody cared for this in Europe. The programs I am talking about are produced by publicly funded tv and radio stations/networks, by levies everyone is compelled to pay. Some people call these public radio and TV stations even state television. So may be that alone changes the workings of copyright law. And until today no one noticed or complained about recorded material of that source on YouTube and everyone carried on with it. Until today writ large, because there is much in flux right now regarding copyright law in Europe and the European Union.

Last edited by tommyer; 05-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
VLC media player may be able to record streams (if your radio show streams). VLC is the bee's knees. I don't use any of the apple/win programs for video or audio - I only use VLC.

There's also DAR.fm (which is an online thingy).

I've not tried either though for recording radio, sorry.

Not sure if it's the same in Germany, but our publicly funded provider makes recordings of shows available for about a week (apart from the podcasted ones) before they disappear into oblivion. I hope the same might be available for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by skb; 05-03-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Oopsie URL wrong!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
tommyer
Connoisseur

@OtinG

What you wrote on copyright laws in the U.S. seems strict.

Question: Trump and Obama will meet, meeting is streamed live. People will record the moment when they shake hands, for example with their IPads via the screen recording function (or any other recording program). Then they‘ll take to their Twitter accounts and spread recorded scenes from the meeting all over the web. CNN provides the live stream. From what you wrote, I got the impression that in the US this could cause problems with copyright infringement. Agree?

And what about a full Trump speech you can find on the YouTube channel of FOX, it would be forbidden to record and edit the video and build some short scenes into a clip you want to put on YouTube, for example with some comments or complemented with other imagery from other speeches from other people?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
VLC media player may be able to record streams (if your radio show streams). VLC is the bee's knees. I don't use any of the apple/win programs for video or audio - I only use VLC.
Thanks for your post. Definitely will check out VLC for recording (streams). I have been already using it for watching videos and listen audios.

It makes sense to me to learn more about recording livestreams on the radio.
But I rarely or never livestream radio this way. And I rarely listen or watch something live. Recording livestreams would be nice if I knew from before that I will want to record what is going to be said in the next moment. But this is rather impossible. I listen to something as a podcast or another audio file and decide directly while or shortly after listening that I want this recorded to have it as resource and proof that this has been said and having the possibility to may be add it into a audiovisual Youtube documentary or something like that.

Concerning your publicly funded provider which makes recording available for some time. It‘s similar in Germany. But a lot depends on what „available“ exactly means. If it means that you can listen to it by streaming it online (but not live) and you cannot download it, you need to record the stream which may be possible with VLC, as you have suggested. If you can download a MP3, you should be able to edit and cut out the pieces in which you are interested. Both ways do exist in Germany. I still need to find a program for the PC by which I can deal with the latter. Can‘t remember if I once tried Audacity for that, but it didn‘t really work out. Now, I will find something for this but I still wonder how some of the questions raised relating to IPad could be answered. But thanks again for making me think the whole thing through.

As an example, in the following radio show http://https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek...uropa-100.html, there are some passages I would like to record with my IPad (sometimes I have no other device available). The only way the Ipad shows me to save, share or export the file is to upload it to Dropbox although I also have GoogleDrive and Icloud. It cannot save it on the device. (From Dropbox I could share it to GoogleDrive it seems.) Then I‘ve got the mp3 file in Dropbox which is great compared to the same file being in the Apple podcast app from which there is, as described above, no way out. In Dropbox I can make the file available offline, then I can use the IOs file manager working through Dropbox to download the file on the IPad device. Now, I would only need an app for editing a mp3 file on IOs. Along the way from Dropbox it was possible to copy the file to iMovie. May be that could work for that (nope, doesn‘t work which is logical since iMovie is designed to deal with mp4 and such).

Last edited by tommyer; 05-03-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post

Good luck!
Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #10
tommyer
Connoisseur

I should be able to work with this: http://https://techwiser.com/audio-e...ps-for-iphone/

But as it stands, it is not possible to get audiofiles (is a podcast different from a mp3 audio file?) out of the Apple podcast app. But it‘s not that alone, others like antenna pods and more seem to be closed in this way, too.

Last edited by tommyer; 05-03-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Given the restrictions Apple puts on app developers, I doubt you will be able to do this on an iPad.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Recording shows, even just the audio, is usually forbidden under USA law without the express permissions from the owner of that media. I would think that is also true in most countries. So I doubt you will find an easy way to do it because Apple probably has at least tried to prevent those kinds of unauthorized recordings. After all, Apple gets paid to stream those shows/podcasts and likely has some strict contractual agreements with the media owners, as do cable, satellite, and other streaming companies. There might be some 3rd party apps that can do it, at least until Apple catches on and bans them. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend making unauthorized recordings of any kind. However, what you do is none of my business. Such recording considerations are between you and the media owner(s).
That is actually not true. Recording shows for your own use is explicitly allowed as fair use in the US, see the Betamax court case. Now if you were going to give that recording to someone else, then that would be a violation of copyright. If you were to extract a small portion, then that might or might not be allowed as far use.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
Thanks for your answer. Interesting, isn‘t it, that there may be no program to do that on the IPad while the screen recording being such a fantastic progress for that (although videos recorded on screen take lots of storage compared to downloading smaller video files, but this is not always possible and that‘s why the option is so great, closing the gap).

Regarding podcast and downloadable mp3 file, I had until today a hard time to get audio files out of the Apple podcast app. AFAIK there is no way to export files from there to somewhere else within the IPad (for example by sharing). Even transfering those files to a Windows PC had not been really straightforward (with ITunes) the last time I checked. The problem was, at least, to get files out of ITunes on the PC because there seemed not be an option to move around these files on the PC. And so forth. I tried an app called Syncos (or something like that) but results were not good. Sorry for writing that much. There should be a solution that I may be overlook.

Which app would you recommend for editing mp3 on IOs?
Hokusai Audio Editor seems to be the most highly regarded one. I haven't used it, so I can't really say. I do my audio editing on a mac.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #14
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
Thanks again!
Happy to help.

I'm not sure that anything will work on your ipad. I've found that Apple nobble just about everything (which is why I use other products on my mac - don't get me started ).
If you can get mp3 files somehow, you can certainly play them on the ipad (although, it might not recognise them as podcasts, so you might have to listen via itunes).

Having said that, I do download many podcasts via itunes and then find the files (mp3) on my HDD and copy them to a USB so I can play them in the car.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The only (reliable) option to connect two or more audio apps in ios is via Audiobus.

You can see compatible apps in https://audiob.us/apps/. You might look for input applications. Sadly I can't see any podcast player with audiobus support but an app like Amplifind can play from different sources (including spotify, itunes and mp3 files) and you can use another app, like Garageband, to record the stream.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote