Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #6166
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've wondered why time lords are only allowed 12 regenerations. Although it is possible that they can be granted a new set (as The Master was offered), why was it limited to 12 in a cycle?

A theory I have is that the reason that it was limited to 12 is due to a limitation in a time lords brain. Although vast, it is likely that a time lords brain only has a limited capacity. The regeneration limit might have been set due this.

Based on this theory, I could imagine the following situation: In the future the far The Doctor encounters a companion who meant a great deal to him in the past (such as Susan, Jamie, Sarah Jane Smith, Rose Tyler, Amy Pond), and he has absolutely no memory of him/her. It is not just that the memory is repressed, but it is completely gone due to The Doctor's mind needing more memory space. Due to this, the companion is a complete stranger to him now.
Hmm, but Time Lords can artificially extend the lifespan of each incarnation potentially indefinitely, as Smith’s doctor showed by outliving all his previous incarnations with a little help from the Tardis.

Actually come to think of it we really can’t say how old the Doctor is prior to 11. 9 claims to be 900 YO, but this is already younger than the 7’s stated age of 953. And given the War Doctor was young when we first saw him, several hundred years must have passed given how long it took for 11 to age.

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-25-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #6167
samuelcaldas
samuelcaldas began at the beginning.

Device: K3g, k2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Hmm, but Time Lords can artificially extend the lifespan of each incarnation potentially indefinitely, as Smith’s doctor showed by outliving all his previous incarnations with a little help from the Tardis.

Actually come to think of it we really can’t say how old the Doctor is prior to 11. 9 claims to be 900 YO, but this is already younger than the 7’s stated age of 953. And given the War Doctor was young when we first saw him, several hundred years must have passed given how long it took for 11 to age.
is fine to respond to Something from a fart earlier post or from another thread .
samuelcaldas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #6168
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FBB0348-9C3A-4946-B023-2A023F8A38B2.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	173524
Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #6169
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
What is wrong with the 3.5mm headphone jack? It seems like there is an effort to eliminate it from phones, which will likely cause it to phased out from other devices too. it's replacement seems to be a wireless connection (like Bluetooth) or a different wired connection (like Micro USB, Lightening, and USB-C).

Yet, the major advantage of the 3.5mm headphone jack is that it is universal and it works. With other physical connectors it seems like it may work or it may not, and you might also need a dongle. See the following YouTube video:

With wireless, the issue is compression. I listen to FLAC files since I want to a file that is the same as the CD original, yet my understanding is that when you listen to them over a Bluetooth connection compression is applied to the audio, which wipes out my reason for listening to FLAC files (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #6170
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I'm old school. I prefer 3.5mm headphone jack over wireless and blue tooth as well.

Nuggets of Celluloid Wisdom #1

"Uh, yeah, we have a damaged relationship... If it gets any worse we're gonna have to shut it down... Relay switch. I said relay switch... I think you heard me wrong. There's a relay switch on the lower level that's been, uh..."

- Number 1, Dark Matter S1 E7

damaged relationship = damaged relay switch

dysfunctional relationship = dysfunctional relay switch

Helps put things in perspective. Do I want to depend on a damaged/dysfunctional relay switch for a ride to Sun City and back? No, not really. Do I want to depend on a damaged/dysfunctional relay switch for anything? No... *pouting*
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #6171
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

In its defense, one advantage of USB-c is that you can supply your own DAC. THis is a big deal in that the DACs in most phones aren't very high quality.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #6172
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
In its defense, one advantage of USB-c is that you can supply your own DAC. THis is a big deal in that the DACs in most phones aren't very high quality.
That is why I prefer a dedicated music player over using a phone (whether feature, or smart) as a music player. I basically use my flip phone mainly for phone calls and text messages.

To me, a cell phone involves compromises such as the quality of the DAC, and the user interface. In addition to including the 3.5mm jack with the phone, it should be possible to use a better external DAC as an option via the data connection (be it USB-C, Lightening, Micro USB or something else) if the user chooses.

And now for something completely unrelated...

In stories are there certain characters/devices that just end the story once they appear? I don't mean that the story actually ends, but the moment the character/device appears you instantly know how the story ends. You might not know the details, but you know how its going to basically end.

An example of this in DC Comics: The Miracle Machine. It is a device that can turn thoughts into reality. What makes it a story ender is that it turns any thought into reality. In Final Crisis where evil finally won, with one thought Superman used The Miracle Machine to completely undo all that had happened and restore everything back to normal in an instant.

Could it be that devices like that basically ruin a story because if how powerful they are?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #6173
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 48 Laws - How to Manipulate & Outsmart a Manipulator

To allow oneself to be carried away by a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects, to want to help everyone in everything is to succumb to the violence of our times.

- Thomas Merton

The 48 Laws of Power

• Law 1 Never outshines the master.
• Law 2 Never put too much trust in friends; learn how to use [manipulators or those who invalidate].
• Law 3 Conceal your intentions.
• Law 4 Always say less than necessary.
• Law 5 So much depends on reputation. Guard it with your life.
• Law 6 Court attentions at all costs.
• Law 7 Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit.
• Law 8 Make other people come to you[, call or text you]; use bait if necessary.
• Law 9 Win through your actions, never through argument.
• Law 10 Infection: avoid the unhappy and unlucky. [Especially the very needy and lonely; they’re really needy and lonely for a reason.]
• Law 11 Learn to keep people dependent on you. [Do not give away stuff willy-nilly.]
• Law 12 Use selective honesty [ambiguouness, doublespeak] and generosity to disarm your victim. [Do not be TMI and generous to a fault!]
• Law 13 When asking for help, appeal to people's self-interest, never to their mercy or gratitude.
• Law 14 Pose as a friend works as a spy.
• Law 15 Crush your enemy totally.
• Law 16 Use absence to increase respect and honor.
• Law 17 Keep others in suspended terror: cultivate an air of unpredictability.
• Law 18 Do not build fortresses to protect you. Isolation is dangerous.
• Law 19 Know who you're dealing with; do not offend the wrong person.
• Law 20 Do not commit to anyone. [Do not be anyone’s cheerleader, unless you truly care about him or her].
• Law 21 Play a sucker to catch a sucker: play dumber than your mark. [It’s okay to play dumb (e.g., What do you think I am—a tech monkey? Figure it out!)
• Law 22 Use the surrender tactic: transform weakness into power.
• Law 23 Concentrate your forces.
• Law 24 Play the perfect courtier.
• Law 25 Re-create yourself [spiritual reprieve].
• Law 26 Keep your hands clean.
• Law 27 Play on people's need to believe to create a cult-like following.
• Law 28 Enter action with boldness.
• Law 29 Plan all the way to the end.
• Law 30 Make your accomplishments seem effortless.
• Law 31 Control the options: get others to play with the cards you deal. [Stop being generous to a fault!]
• Law 32 Play to people's fantasies.
• Law 33 Discover each man's thumbscrew.
• Law 34 Be royal in your fashion: act like a king to be treated like one.
• Law 35 Master the art of timing.
• Law 36 Disdain things you cannot have: ignoring them is the best revenge.
• Law 37 Create compelling spectacles.
• Law 38 Think as you like, but behave like others. [Blah!]
• Law 39 Stir up waters to catch fish.
• Law 40 Despise the free lunch [from soup kitchens and the kitchens of narcissists].
• Law 41 Avoid stepping into a great man's shoes.
• Law 42 Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.
• Law 43 Work on the hearts and minds of others.
• Law 44 Disarm and infuriate with the mirror effect.
• Law 45 Preach the need for change, but never reform too much at once.
• Law 46 Never appear perfect. [Appear majestically awkward instead.]
• Law 47 Do not go past the mark you aimed for; in victory, learn when to stop.
• Law 48 Assume formlessness [especially at soup kitchens, the Desert Club, etc.—where the homeless and ego-centric congregate.]

Last edited by trichobezoar; 10-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #6174
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Uncle Fester-isms

I'm touched in the head; don't make me think!

My word is a lamp unto your feet, light desserts on your path. :P

I'm the doughy version of Wolverine--
Light, fluffy and irresistible...
I talk the talk and walk a doughy walk.

I'm a bit too much--like cheese cake ice cream.

Mejor tu que yo.
(Translation: Better you than me!)

Denial: I'll deny anything and everything!

Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #6175
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

it occurs to me that I've become so spoiled by emoji but I don't even remember many of the classic emoticons without seeing them.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #6176
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Should the U. S. Pencil Scale (#1, #2, #3, and #4) be completely replaced by the International Scale (H8....H1...HB...B1...B8)?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #6177
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Um, yes? On a completely unrelated note...

Etch A Sketch Instructions

Q: My Etch-A-Sketch has all of these funny little lines all over the screen.
A: Pick it up and shake it.

Q: How do I turn my Etch-A-Sketch off?

Q: What's the shortcut for Undo?

Q: How do I create a New Document window?

Q: How do I set the background and foreground to the same color?

Q: What is the proper procedure for rebooting my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I delete a document on my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I save my Etch-A-Sketch document?
A: Don't shake it.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #6178
croonable
Enthusiast
croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: none
What is love?
croonable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #6179
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Haddaway - What Is Love?!
Old 11-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #6180
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

I was watching a YouTube video about Star Trek and I was struck by one picture in the video: They show a group portrait the Star Trek Captains but among them was Ed Mercer from The Orville, which is not Star Trek. I've heard comments that The Orville is actually more true to Star Trek than the recent actual Star Trek series and movies. Could this be true?

Last edited by Solitaire1; 11-24-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Tags
man boobs, skippy the bush kangaroo, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness