Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Gabe
Gabe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy Calibre Companion and FBReader on Nexus 7

I installed CC and LOVE it, except that when I choose a book in CC, and click "READ", FBReader opens but with the book I was last reading in FBReader, not with the one chosen in CC.

????????????????????
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't see this behavior on my test system, a galaxy tab 10.1.

The steps I do to test:

1) Install fbreader. Make no changes to its setup.
2) Start CC.
3) Find an epub in CC. Tap to open book details.
4) Choose "Read". Choose fbreader as the reading app (I normally use Moon+)
5) The book opens in fbreader.
6) Press the Home button.
7) From the task list, choose CC.
8) Press the back button to get to the book list.
9) Find another epub book. Long press to read the book.
10) Choose fbreader when offered the choice.
11) The newly-chosen book opens in fbreader.

Just to be sure, I also tried it on my Galaxy Nexus, using the following steps:
1) (fbreader was already installed)
2) Start CC. Long-press a book. Choose fbreader. It opens.
3) Tap "back" in fbreader. Choose "Close fbreader". CC re-opens.
4) Long-press a different book. Choose fbreader. This different book opens.

I have no doubt that you are seeing the behavior you describe. The question is "why". Grasping at straws: are you doing something different from the two above scenarios? If you follow the second scenario, does something different happen? Have you changed something "interesting" in fbreader's setup (yea, I know, what settings are "interesting")? Have you installed the fbreader sync plugin?

The "interesting" settings question comes from an issue we had/have with moon+ related to the "back key behavior" setting. It seems that things work best if that setting is "close moon+". Fbreader might have a similar setting?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Gabe
Gabe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I don't see this behavior on my test system, a galaxy tab 10.1.

The steps I do to test:

1) Install fbreader. Make no changes to its setup.
2) Start CC.
3) Find an epub in CC. Tap to open book details.
4) Choose "Read". Choose fbreader as the reading app (I normally use Moon+)
5) The book opens in fbreader.
6) Press the Home button.
7) From the task list, choose CC.
8) Press the back button to get to the book list.
9) Find another epub book. Long press to read the book.
10) Choose fbreader when offered the choice.
11) The newly-chosen book opens in fbreader.

Just to be sure, I also tried it on my Galaxy Nexus, using the following steps:
1) (fbreader was already installed)
2) Start CC. Long-press a book. Choose fbreader. It opens.
3) Tap "back" in fbreader. Choose "Close fbreader". CC re-opens.
4) Long-press a different book. Choose fbreader. This different book opens.

I have no doubt that you are seeing the behavior you describe. The question is "why". Grasping at straws: are you doing something different from the two above scenarios? If you follow the second scenario, does something different happen? Have you changed something "interesting" in fbreader's setup (yea, I know, what settings are "interesting")? Have you installed the fbreader sync plugin?

The "interesting" settings question comes from an issue we had/have with moon+ related to the "back key behavior" setting. It seems that things work best if that setting is "close moon+". Fbreader might have a similar setting?
The format I'm using is .mobi. Would my choice of format cause me this grief?
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
The format I'm using is .mobi. Would my choice of format cause me this grief?
I did the same experiment on my galaxy nexus with two .mobi files and it worked fine.

Just to check: did you get CC through google play or amazon? The two apps are slightly different with regard to .mobi file handling. I am testing with the google play edition.

Another thing to note: because I also test with Amazon's Kindle for Android app, I changed my default folder for .mobi files is "kindle", not "Calibre_Companion". I don't see why this would matter, but it might.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't use FBReader myself, so I can't check, but is it possible that it has a preference setting something like 'on opening always load most recent book'? If so try turning that one off.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert