Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #76
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have the same relationship with the Harry Potter series.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #77
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
After finishing Neptune's Inferno I found I was having trouble trying to decide what to read next. I decided that rereading an old favorite was just the thing and have just started Agent of Change by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. The first in the Liaden Universe Series first published in 1988. Voila no more readers block.
Apache
Have you tried Symond's World War II at Sea: A Global History? I just finished that one last week. Kind of had the same issue, so I started re-reading Monster Hunters.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
"Oh Rochester, oh Rochester?" -- Jack Benny
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #79
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Have you tried Symond's World War II at Sea: A Global History? I just finished that one last week. Kind of had the same issue, so I started re-reading Monster Hunters.
I haven't read that one yet although it is in my TBR. I have read his The Battle of Midway.
If you haven't read it yet try Ian W. Toll's Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 12-16-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add Information
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #80
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I haven't read that one yet although it is in my TBR. I have read his The Battle of Midway.
If you haven't read it yet try Ian W. Toll's Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy.
Apache
Yep, I've got it. I like Toll.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

um... we've lost the plot of this thread. I think all these off-topic posts should go in their own thread.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #82
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
um... we've lost the plot of this thread. I think all these off-topic posts should go in their own thread.
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find a thread go off topic!

It doesn't bother me all that much if the thread lurches around a bit. I think most of the posts either deal with the subject at hand or are responses to something mentioned. It's not like it's gone totally off the rails and people are arguing about politics or something.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #83
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I like threads like this that meander a bit. It's not fully off-topic, and it's not nasty or political.

How others handle their reading blocks has been a nice discussion.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #84
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Off topic threads can be lots of fun, like this one.

However, if the OP popped up and asked for the original question to be discussed, I'd take that as a mild slap on the hand.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #85
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find a thread go off topic!

It doesn't bother me all that much if the thread lurches around a bit. I think most of the posts either deal with the subject at hand or are responses to something mentioned. It's not like it's gone totally off the rails and people are arguing about politics or something.
pwalker8 is the OP and doesn't seem to mind.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #86
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
There was a fair amount of discussion on the original topic before the thread changed direction.

I'm just glad it didn't move into one of the two topics that cause me to run screaming from a thread - The Evils of Copyright or The Evils of DRM
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #87
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
There was a fair amount of discussion on the original topic before the thread changed direction.

I'm just glad it didn't move into one of the two topics that cause me to run screaming from a thread - The Evils of Copyright or The Evils of DRM
Would you mind a rant about 'true' page numbers in ebooks?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When you have reader's block, how do you solve the problem?

I usually solve it by starting to read a few books until one of them catches my attention and then I've found a book to read.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #89
BookCat
C L J

Reader's Block is just a result of having too many books. A couple of hundred years ago most people would only have access to the Bible. That would be their only reading choice, if they could read at all.

So to have Reader's Block is a privilege, signifying literacy and access to lots of books. We should be glad to have R. B. (Am I sounding like Polyanna?)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Reader's Block is just a result of having too many books. A couple of hundred years ago most people would only have access to the Bible. That would be their only reading choice, if they could read at all.

So to have Reader's Block is a privilege, signifying literacy and access to lots of books. We should be glad to have R. B. (Am I sounding like Polyanna?)
R. B.?

Yes, we do have too many choice of what to read next. But the problem is what to read. What will grab our attention and keep us interested? Books we will eventually read and enjoy may not be what we want to read right now. It's a matter of how ou go about picking the next book to read. One thing that make it hard to choose another book to read is when we get really invested in the book we just finished. When we care about the characters. When we don't want it to have ended.