Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
mbc0
mbc0 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD
Move books from send-to-kindle to book library

Hi,

I have emailed books from calibre to my fire hd but I can only see them in the send-to-kindle section of documents but they do not have covers etc, is there a way to move them to the documents folder so I can view them in the books app?

Thank you!
mbc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think this pertains to the document TYPE that you tell Calibre to use. But I'm only vaguely aware of such stuff. Can we get Calibre people to notice this question? Moderators: is this more a Calibre question than a Kindle Fire question? Maybe link it to the Calibre forum?

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 02-21-2020 at 02:30 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Anything emailed via send to kindle will arrive as a document. That is how Amazon do things
To have a book arrive as a book you need to DIY transfer it from calibre using usb or via Dropbox or similar
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
PaganRuler
PaganRuler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not sure about what stumped said?

I have hundreds of books from Calibre in the Kindle format that I've sent to Amazon.

They show as books correctly on an Oasis and via the Kindle app on my iPhone and show covers and in the "library" and percentage etc.

How come they work for that but only show in the Docs section of the Fire?
PaganRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganRuler View Post
I'm not sure about what stumped said?

I have hundreds of books from Calibre in the Kindle format that I've sent to Amazon.

They show as books correctly on an Oasis and via the Kindle app on my iPhone and show covers and in the "library" and percentage etc.

How come they work for that but only show in the Docs section of the Fire?
when I have tested ( sending stuff to my daughters kindle, and to my own d for tests) , and when I consult google, reddit... I get that anything sent to amazon via email using the device's email address will appear as a personal document, not as a book. irrespective of whether the receiving device is a kindle e-ink device or a Fire tablet. Amazon themselves promote this feature as a personal document service.
but I'd be happy to be provide wrong. please give a for dummies step by step process which you think will deliver a book via the device email address as a book and I will try it. I have both paperwhite and fire tablet to test with.
the only methods I know of which get books to appear as books are via USB or via other apps.
or PM me- then you can have my xxxx@kindle.com addresses for testing and I will whitelist your from address, then you can send me a book as proof.

Personal Document Settings
Kindle Personal Documents service makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need to print. You and your approved contacts can send documents to your Kindle by e-mailing the documents to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address.
The following will help keep your Send to Kindle email address secure:
Ensure your Send-to-Kindle email address is different than any other email addresses you use.

it could be that we are on different pages, I am referring to the personal documents service but I am aware there is also a "send to Kindle " app which can be downloaded. I think the results are the same either way though. I do recall discussing the Send to Kindle route with someone else in another recent thread and they confirmed that stuff sent like that arrives as documents, not books

Last edited by stumped; 02-26-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Advert
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard

PS, i tried and failed to find the previous discussion. but once again, google, reddit etc are telling me that amazon regards any "book" not purchased from amazon as a "document"

I am interested in knowing of any ( non USB) workarounds for that
Old 02-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never had any book, sent via Send to Kindle or emailed to the @kindle email, show up as a Book. They only show as a DOC on any e-ink Kindle I've used.

The only time they show up as a book is when I use a USB connection and send to device from Calibre.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've never had any book, sent via Send to Kindle or emailed to the @kindle email, show up as a Book. They only show as a DOC on any e-ink Kindle I've used.

The only time they show up as a book is when I use a USB connection and send to device from Calibre.
yes.
or a complete DIY approach using windows copy paste and USB will work, as will sending to fire tablet via an app like calibre companion, or via a clould service download

so lets see the counter example process please.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Fire tablet segregates the display of personal documents into a "Docs" app and does not show them in the "Books" app.

Other Kindle apps and devices show books and personal documents together unless you filter by type.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't see both BOOKS and DOCS at the same time on my Oasis, unless I'm missing something about the sort options.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Fire tablet segregates the display of personal documents into a "Docs" app and does not show them in the "Books" app.

Other Kindle apps and devices show books and personal documents together unless you filter by type.
Yes, but what arrives on a kindle , via send to, is a document. Which can be checked by force filtering for only books or only docs.

And send to also limits the allowed formats so you cannot email an azw extension

I suspect some confusion over default filter settings is driving the debate

Nowadays I am reading mostly on kobo so I have no vested interest in what can ,can't be done via amazon
Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I can't see both BOOKS and DOCS at the same time on my Oasis, unless I'm missing something about the sort options.
Yes, you can see both. And the differences are subtle. I don't have a list of all differences to hand. But maybe you can only share highlights if it's a book.
On the fire tablets, in 2 column landscape there is a virtual vertical central "crease " in the background colour, highlighting the 2 page effect. I quite like that but I can't make it happen for books.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard

When looking at my Oasis, I see no obvious way to see a list of both BOOKS and DOCS at the same time, when looking at Downloaded items.

I don't have a Fire tablet.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

I don't have an oasis.
And I did not go Check my PW, I was accepting and intending to agree with you as to what kindle shows, but I misread your post actually , I read can't as can.
My excuse is multitasking, trying to reply and watch the football at the same time.
I will go watch that before I make any more mistakes !
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard