Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
mixtli
mixtli began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Exclamation PB pro 912 - my brand new one is frozen after update to 2.1.2 firmware

Hello,

I have just bought a brand new PB Pro 912, received by French mail yesterday afternoon. After unpacked it, I started to enjoy it just a bit. Then, I left it charging -as written in the manual- for 12 hours via PC and this morning I tried a bit more its features, till when I decided to update the firmware from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2.
In order to succeed in such operation, I followed all the manual step by step and all went well. Once done, I started to try "scribble" and other applications, which were not available in the default firmware, without any problems. I checked also that the actual firmware running was the new one.
Suddenly, when I was back to the main page, the device stopped working, freezing the screen. I tried to switch it off, plug it to the pc via USB cable, but nothing happens! It does not respond to any hw input. Incredibly, it seems dead!

What I have to do??

Please, help me!

P.S. Go to the photo link to see the screen status (note the date and the time when this issue occurred - French time).

Last edited by mixtli; 02-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.
mixtli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
porga
Connoisseur
porga began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912 Pro
Did you tried to hard reset using bottom "needle" hole? I experienced froze once, but I reset it using paper clip, and it works fine.
porga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
porga
Connoisseur

Any luck? Did you unlocked it?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
mixtli
mixtli began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Yeah, thanks a lot! ... the weird thing is that, after pushing the reset button, the battery was almost totally discharged, so I left the device charging again for more additional 12 hours, without getting the light lit yellow. Finally I disconnected it.

Another weird thing -probably related to the original issue with the new firmware- is that I noticed a general loss in light contrast, more evident when I try to read pdf, with random not-homogeneous definition of what is displayed by changing pages or browsing the GUI, especially with small size characters. I had not such a bug with the previous firmware. Any suggestion for that or should I open a new thread for it?
mixtli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
porga
Connoisseur

I am using 2.1.3 Firmware, I bought mine in Germany, and PB912 did update OTA (WiFi).
I experienced 3 froze situations till today.

About this:
"general loss in light contrast"
I noticed that in PDF-s but I did not used old firmware nore than 1 hour, so I cannot compare actual state.

However, any advice on this appreciated.
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
I recently bought mine from Germany. I updated the firmware to 2.1.3 over WiFi and also experienced the fading for normal - not scanned - PDFs. I installed 2.1.2 from pocketbook-int.com, but the same result. Tried the same from the German site and the same result.
I was considering sending the 912 back and ask for a refund. Then I tried the 2.1.2 from the Russian site and the problem with PDFs seems to have vanished!
I haven't tried their 2.1.3, since I have had enough and large technical PDFs is what I bought it for.
If they can offer PDF cropping and font boldening as under Duokan for my Kindle keyboard, this e-reader would really be worth the 230 euros I paid for it.
Regards
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
I recently bought mine from Germany. I updated the firmware to 2.1.3 over WiFi and also experienced the fading for normal - not scanned - PDFs. I installed 2.1.2 from pocketbook-int.com, but the same result. Tried the same from the German site and the same result.
I was considering sending the 912 back and ask for a refund. Then I tried the 2.1.2 from the Russian site and the problem with PDFs seems to have vanished!
I haven't tried their 2.1.3, since I have had enough and large technical PDFs is what I bought it for.
If they can offer PDF cropping and font boldening as under Duokan for my Kindle keyboard, this e-reader would really be worth the 230 euros I paid for it.
Regards
Which pdf application are you using, AdobeViewer or pdfviewer? I wouldn't mind having it look less faded myself.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

AdobeViewer.
The other one does not seem to be so good, although I haven't tried it that much to be certain.
And the pdfs I am currently using are professionally built as large book chapters (120 pages) with dense text and figures. It takes quite some time to open them the first time, but afterwards everything is acceptable in terms of time.
N.B., it seems to me that the CIS 2.1.2 firmware makes PocketBook 912 a bit slower and unresponsive (e.g., pages do not always change when I press the forward button). Still, this is nothing compared to the bad display quality I had before.

Last edited by crt; 02-13-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the information, and karma to you.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
crt
Enthusiast

Thanks. If you wish you could try it (and even the russian 2.1.3 firmware) and see if it works.
NB: I had also copied several TTF fonts from my Windows 7 into the adobe/fonts directory but had not seen any difference, until I installed the Russian firmware 2.1.2.

One question: I received mine 2 days ago and when trying to place it in a protective case, I switched it on by mistake. I had not had the time to charge it fully for ~12 hrs. When I tried to charge it later on, the orange light blinked for very little time and then became stable orange. The battery indicator on the bottom right of the display also indicates a full charge.
So, what am I to do about the battery? I have left the reader charging for the whole night tonight even though the indicator is a stable orange, just in case.
Any advice on that?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

It takes a few days and charge cycles for the battery usage to get calibrated properly, so don't worry if it seems strange over the first week or so.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

I tried installing the CIS 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 firmware versions for my 902, and the PDF files viewed with AdobeViewer looked the same as with my North America 2.1.3 firmware version. I even tried copying over the AdobeViewer applications from the CIS 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 912 firmware versions, but they also looked the same. I guess the German firmware versions you (@crt) had were particularly bad for PDF files, since everything else looks to be the same.

I did notice that 2.1.2 was slower than 2.1.3 in the menus. Maybe it would be worth upgrading to 2.1.3 for you, since the PDF viewing looks the same in both.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
crt
Enthusiast

I updated the firmware to CIS 2.1.3 and had the idea of using the browser to get to wikipedia. As a result, all hell broke loose: I got very dim characters on the screen.
Tried to get back to 2.1.2. No matter whether I try the US, German or CIS 2.1.2 firmware, the 'About' selection reports 2.1.2 (not CIS 2.1.2 as it used to) and the problem of very dim characters is persistent on my pdfs. I tried 2.1.3 and I get the same result. I will give it a try 1-2 more days and then ship it back for a refund. The frustration and time wasted are not worth it...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
crt
Enthusiast

firmware 2.1.1 anyone?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

This is starting to sound more like a hardware problem than a software problem, which may explain why I didn't notice any difference in faintness on my 902 among the various firmware versions. I think you should probably contact your vendor and see about getting it fixed. You mentioned a battery issue earlier, and maybe the problems are related.

Tags
frozen screen, pocketbook 912 firmware, update problems