Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old Today, 12:51 AM   #1216
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fiction_novel

The non-fiction novel is a literary genre which, broadly speaking, depicts real historical figures and actual events woven together with fictitious conversations and uses the storytelling techniques of fiction. The non-fiction novel is an otherwise loosely defined and flexible genre. The genre is sometimes referred to using the slang term "faction", a portmanteau of the words fact and fiction.
==

Quite a lot of James Michener too

American author of more than 40 books, most of which were fictional, lengthy family sagas covering the lives of many generations in particular geographic locales and incorporating solid history.
==
I have a name that I use to refer to it, too. But I can't repeat it in polite company. Just kidding.

Let me quickly try to redeem myself for that last paragraph. I have a lot of respect for outstanding writers of that kind of fiction. It takes a huge amount of research to write an historical novel like you described--one that is true to details, "true to life," that could have actually happened, but didn't actually happen. It might take almost as much research to write one of those as an actual history. Maybe more, because in addition to engaging in research about things, down even to the minutiae, the authors have to invent an interesting, cohesive story. Without ever having tried to do it, I still know that that must be an enormous challenge.

I still don't care to read historical fiction. In the way of a story, I want to read something that really, really happened.

I've actually dipped my toes in the historical fiction subgenre a time or two. Once I even started reading Michener's Alaska. It is a historical novel, set in--you guessed it--Alaska. The time was the late 1700's or early 1800's or so (just before Seward's Folly," in which the U.S. Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln so "foolishly" bought from Russia the "worthless" piece of property that is Alaska). But the book was just too long for my short attention span. I gave up on it after about pages. But I learned some things). I am amazed at the details that Michener had at his command.

I think that the subgenre that you're talking about is the one that tubemonkey (rest his soul ) simply called "historical," when describing the genre/subgenre of audiobook historical novels.

(Sorry to be so talkative. I'll blame it on what was is now an empty cup, sitting next to me, that just a few minutes ago was filled nearly to the brim with espresso. I'm wired. I need to calm down, get out of the house, and go somewhere--maybe the 24-hour Walmart down the street. No, on second thought, I'm not that desperate).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; Today at 01:24 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #1217
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, HD6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Yeah, I "bought" it myself, assuming that it was non-fiction (I "never" buy fiction), because of all of the cues that I look for.

Interestingly, on the book's webpage is this:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
. . . .
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > Aviation
#6 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
#90 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction

The middle one is, no doubt, the one that you made reference to?
Amazon lists the genre on top of the book cover:

Quote:
Personally, I don't want any works of fiction contaminating my computer.
Nor do I!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #1218
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. Thanks. I'll check it out in a few minutes. I didn't see the genre info on the image that you sent of the book, though.
Old Today, 12:46 PM   #1219
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Okay. I saw it. But in the image that I got, the info was above the image of the cover. That may have been what you wrote--I'm having to get by with just a smartphone (again. Aarrggh!).

If it's fiction, how did it get to be big seller in a non-fiction category? Anyone have a theory? I have one.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #1220
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If it's fiction, how did it get to be big seller in a non-fiction category? Anyone have a theory? I have one.
It's the publisher, not Amazon, who puts the book into one or more categories. Huge numbers of books are miscategorised.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #1221
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the publisher, not Amazon, who puts the book into one or more categories. Huge numbers of books are miscategorised.
Didn't realize. Thanks for the insight.

But will the genre info above the book image be prone to that problem, too?
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #1222
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I've got good news, and I've bad news.

The good news is that I know of _thousands_ of ebooks marked down right now (counting Logos' sale). The bad news is that I know of thousands of ebooks marked down right now.

I'm thankful to have the opportunity to buy some very good books at good and very good prices. But, it seems like I have spent almost all of the week up to now, looking over marked down ebooks.

Let me get to the nitty gritty, because the espresso from last night has just about worn off. Our sometimes friends at Palgrave currently have 2,548 books, all of which are marked down to.$15 and 15 pounds. It may be that some of the books are not available in an ebook form. That may not seem like very good deals until you realize that some of.the ebooks retail for over $100 each.

Follow the link below to check into those ebooks. The "deal of the day" can be seen, following that link, also.

I've got to get some shuteye.

https://www.palgrave.com/us/shop/cyb...cw18e_Textlink

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; Today at 05:31 PM.
Old Today, 02:26 PM   #1223
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Didn't realize. Thanks for the insight.

But will the genre info above the book image be prone to that problem, too?
Yes, it's just the "breadcrumbs" of the genre path.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #1224
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wish the sellers were able to enforce the correct categorizing of ebooks. They should only be allowed one major category a couple of secondary categories. Some of them are so bad it's embarrassing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #1225
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I wish the sellers were able to enforce the correct categorizing of ebooks. They should only be allowed one major category a couple of secondary categories. Some of them are so bad it's embarrassing.
Apache
I so agree. Read a book that was categorized as non fiction, mystery. Turns out it was paranormal, fiction. Called author/publisher out and was blacklisted by the publisher as a problem reader and told to never request ARC's again.
KyBunnies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #1226
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Shuteye accomplished. It's time to get back to work perusing sale books.

I failed to mention, but it is on the webpage that I linked to above--the sale extends a nice length--it doesn't end until November 26.
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #1227
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Deleted. Done partly by the computer, for some reason, and the remainder of it, by me, intentionally. G

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; Today at 05:22 PM.