Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Question I have a 350mb PDF. How do I best convert this?

When I open the PDF in sumatra I can highlight text, however when I click "Edit book" in caliber I see a bunch of images, so it looks like someone scanned this image page by page which explains its large size.

Any advice on how to best convert this for my kobo? It's not THAT bad on my Kobo reader using koreader, but it is a bit slow with page turning and refreshes every page.

What would you do?
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #2
lori87
Connoisseur

No one?
Old 10-29-2018, 02:44 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you read this sticky ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions

Not mentioned in that thread is MS Word's PDF Import feature, I think it was introduced in Office 2013, it's certainly in Office 2016. For some PDF's it does an excellent job. If you have access to Word give it a try. There are various ways to get from Word to EPUB and from there to kobo

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-29-2018 at 02:52 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
lori87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you read this sticky ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions

Not mentioned in that thread is MS Word's PDF Import feature, I think it was introduced in Office 2013, it's certainly in Office 2016. For some PDF's it does an excellent job. If you have access to Word give it a try. There are various ways to get from Word to EPUB and from there to kobo

BR
So sorry for the bother, but do you have a good tutorial on this by any chance? I tried googling and can't get it to work.

Thank you SO much
Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What can't you get to work - opening a PDF document in Word, editing the document in Word, or converting the Word document to ePUB.

Here's how to do the first one ==>> Opening PDFs in Word - Word

If you can get it into Word and save it as a DOCX you can then get calibre to convert the DOCX to ePUB. And from there to whatever your kobo wants - I think they need kepubs which I assume is the proprietary form of ePub that works on Kobo devices.

Don't expect a perfect result, and it could be worse than KOreader on your kobo.

BR
Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you can get it into Word and save it as a DOCX you can then get calibre to convert the DOCX to ePUB. And from there to whatever your kobo wants - I think they need kepubs which I assume is the proprietary form of ePub that works on Kobo devices.

Don't expect a perfect result, and it could be worse than KOreader on your kobo.

BR
A Kobo touch ereader will open a .kepub.epub with an epub3 compliant (more or less) renderer and an .epub with Adobe's RMSDK renderer. You can open a kepub on any epub reader since the biggest change is adding extra spans which do nothing on other platforms.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
lori87
Connoisseur

Although this is an older topic, I just wanted to say that the 250mb pdf I have would not open in word. It kept saying "Sorry, we're having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document".

I'm assuming this has to do with size.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
Although this is an older topic, I just wanted to say that the 250mb pdf I have would not open in word. It kept saying "Sorry, we're having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document".

I'm assuming this has to do with size.
Probably - add memory and/or try installing the 64 bit Office see ==>> Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office

BR
Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
lori87
Connoisseur

It's 64bit, but still didn't work.

Im giving up
Old 11-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
It's 64bit, but still didn't work.

Im giving up
I understand perfectly.

My initial thought to the "What would you do?" question in your first post was: "Go buy a tablet." A middling Android device should be good enough.

BR
Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I understand perfectly.

My initial thought to the "What would you do?" question in your first post was: "Go buy a tablet." A middling Android device should be good enough.

BR
My thought exactly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
lori87
Connoisseur

I still can't believe there isnt a single program that can fix these large PDFs
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If the PDF is scanned images then you could try using a OCR scanning program to get something amenable for conversion into a format your Kobo can read.

Most OCR programs can create a Word document or an HTML file which could be converted into a format suitable for your Kobo. But its highly likely that the scanned text would be riddled with errors. There are tools to help fix some of those, but they have a fairly steep learning curves. And then you would need to invest time and effort to manually find and fix those they can't find and fix.

Abbyy Fine Print is regarded as the best OCR software i.e. it outputs fewer errors than alternative programs - it costs about the same or more than a middling tablet

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-15-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I understand perfectly.

BR
or go buy the epub version of the pdf ???

a 350MB pdf will render s l o w l y on a middling android tablet
even on a fast android tablet , the large PDFs that I have tried e.g. image-heavy game strategy guides, don't handle well and are not a pleasant read, even on a 10 inch device, as they are designed for A4.
some (for musicians) jazz fake books - which contain several hundred page images - also take ages to render when you scroll down fast

what is in THAT 350mB tome ?

ps the simplest quick and dirty pdf convert route i have found is open in adobe reader ( on windows PC) , use "select all" from copy menus
then paste that selection into a new word document.
it usually gets all the text , in a more or less readable form, and sometimes gets images also, depends on the PDF

Last edited by stumped; 11-16-2018 at 12:22 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
lori87
Connoisseur

There is no epub version of it.

I've just put the whole PDF on my kobo, it's readable, just not the best. Ah well, it'lll do.