Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
jenniferbutler
Banned
jenniferbutler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is Samsung the best Android phone?

There are lots of Android devices in the market today which ranges from Samsung, Tecno, vivo, Lenovo, Infinix, LG, itel, etc. I have used Tecno, Samsung, itel, Infinix, and LG phones but among them all, Samsung happens to be my favorite among them. Tecno is the closest to Samsung when it comes to my favorite and I believe it's a great rival for Samsung.

Last edited by issybird; 06-10-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spam. Original post restored.
jenniferbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I don't think so, I switched from Samsung to Motorola Z2 Play and couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Moto Z has a sharp screen that is perfect for reading in a Dr's office waiting room, etc.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
No, not even close. Buy a Pixel or Sony. For cheap phones, go either Android One with Xiaomi or buy a Motorola.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I like the Android OS on Google's Pixel phones, myself. I appreciate the mostly straight-up version of Android without all the extra annoying OS customizations that many manufacturers can't seem to help themselves from including.

It's (the Pixel 2 XL) my first Android phone and I already "knew" how to use it out of the box.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I just remembered, Verizon just signed a deal with Samsung to put their crap-ware on all future Samsung phones regardless of vendor! That alone, puts Samsung out of the running for me! See link

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKBN1I24JC

EDIT:
They just amended the story to read just on the Verizon network, Sorry!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I like the Android OS on Google's Pixel phones, myself. I appreciate the mostly straight-up version of Android without all the extra annoying OS customizations that many manufacturers can't seem to help themselves from including.

It's (the Pixel 2 XL) my first Android phone and I already "knew" how to use it out of the box.
Same. It's (mostly) stock Android for me. Granted, I get Android primarily for tinkering so I tend to go for less expensive models (e.g. Moto X/G/E). My daily driver is an iPhone 7.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Amazon Fire Phone was the best! My Samsung doesn't come close...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
"Is Samsung the best Android phone?"

"Best" doesn't exist in the real world. It only exists in your mind; it is a personal value judgment. There are too many different attribute to evaluate, with each being more or less valuable to different individuals, for any one person's "best" to likely be the "best" for someone else.

Personally, my needs make my "best" choice a bit of an outlier. For me, the choice was the LG Exalt V220, currently a Verizon exclusive. it has all the features that I actually use, as I use a real tablet for tablet type computing chores. They don't give the details, but it runs a gelded version of Android suited for the Exalt's "flip phone" configuration.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I think Samsung makes wonderful hardware. But I don't like the ways they mess with Android, to try to make it look more like iOS. The first time I saw a Tab S2 with all its rounded square icons on a 9.7 tablet with a home button, it looked so much like an iPad, I thought 'no wonder Apple sued them.'

I also don't like the bloatware their phones come loaded with. Why do I need Samsung's Gallery if I have Google Photos? They tend to come with the core Google apps, Samsung's copies of them and the carrier's copies as well.

And what's with reversing the order of the buttons on the bottom?

I much prefer a purer version of Android. I'm still using a Nexus 6 and a Lenovo tablet. Both have fairly standard versions of Android and little to no uninstallable bloat.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Sony Xperia is the best Android manufacturer for me. Their devices are lightly skinned, come with little bloatware, and they receive timely Android updates.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My biggest desire is finding one that is not the size of a school bus. I have zero desire to carry around something so huge in my pocket. And every year, they just keep getting larger and larger. Some are so gigantic that I laugh every time I see some poor soul trying to carry on a phone conversation using one. I suppose if you have only one computing device that has to do everything, the super-sized models might be a reasonable choice.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
My biggest desire is finding one that is not the size of a school bus. I have zero desire to carry around something so huge in my pocket. And every year, they just keep getting larger and larger. Some are so gigantic that I laugh every time I see some poor soul trying to carry on a phone conversation using one. I suppose if you have only one computing device that has to do everything, the super-sized models might be a reasonable choice.
That's largely a result of targeting Asians. Most Asians only have one device, so they want smartphones large enough to do everything with. It sucks. That's another reason why I prefer Sony Xperia smartphones, as they have a compact model.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #13
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I use a 5" Android One phone. But brand wouldn't mean anything for you, it is a local one: https://www.generalmobile.com/products/GM6

I used to use Sony phones before that but I decided to try a local company as they started to produce good phones. So far, so good.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The best solution for me has been to have two phones, an iphone SE, small enough to carry in my pocket and do "phone stuff" and a larger Android for web and ebook reading that I carry in backpack or purse when I want an entertaiment device.

I like LG and Motorola phones best.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I just remembered, Verizon just signed a deal with Samsung to put their crap-ware on all future Samsung phones regardless of vendor! That alone, puts Samsung out of the running for me! See link

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKBN1I24JC

EDIT:
They just amended the story to read just on the Verizon network, Sorry!
This is vile. Now, when you buy an expensive Samsung Android phone for use on the overpriced Verizon network, not only will get unwanted Google apps (you can't rid of), unwanted Samsung apps (you can't get rid of) and unwanted Verizon apps (you can't get rid of), you get the added "benefit" of having ads pushed through these apps. (Pinch me, I'm dreaming!) I'm guessing Samsung is not the only smartphone maker who'll be pressured to do this on the Verizon network. Verizon has dreams of becoming another Google, using the worn-out Yahoo and AOL and Go90 to accomplish this. What a joke.

My next phone will probably be a flip-phone. But I'll use my old Blackberry Q10 until they won't let me use it on the Sprint network any more.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-03-2018 at 03:35 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote