Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #46
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I never met a book I couldn't read, even if I had to resort to a dictionary.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #47
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Most of the time the words I don't know are old words from old books, Agatha uses of few weird ones.

Anyone know what Pugnacious means?

Spoiler:
Having a combatant nature

The dictionary helps for words like that.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #48
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
puginism is archaic for boxing isn't it?
as a non english native I had to look up that "score" means 20.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
puginism is archaic for boxing isn't it?
as a non english native I had to look up that "score" means 20.
Pugilism is boxing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #50
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Without resorting to a dictionary: pugnacious means eager to fight, rambunctious.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #51
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Honestly, it's been quite a while since I came across five words in an entire book that I didn't understand or recognize. On the other hand, I don't read for spelling puzzlers, but for the story. I guess the writers I read just know the same vocabulary I do...

+1
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #52
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i still count on books to improve my vocabulary, i was calling everyone 'craven' for a good week after i finished A Game of Thrones.

my word of the moment is 'misandry', which is the hatred of men. i'm just looking for an opportunity to use it.

Last edited by xg4bx; 02-18-2012 at 02:13 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #53
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I agree with the rule, though you clearly need to use your discretion: non-fiction doesn't count. Ditto for foreign passages and archaic words. If you are good at figuring out words from context, or like hunting them down in the dictionary, then up your threshold. And remember that this rule is directed towards children's books, books that typically have far fewer words per page.

In some cases, I believe that holding back readers is a good idea. I have seen far too many adult ESL students and children give up simply because they were attempting to read material far beyond their reading level. Worse yet, I've seen ESL students and children zipping through books like they were going out of style and even pronouncing words properly when they were asked to read -- yet they could not understand construct meaning from the text.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #54
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Count me in as another one who constantly heard, "Oh that one is a little advanced for you dear, perhaps you'd like this one instead?"

Seriously? Kids are more astute and capable than we give them credit for.
Ahh, a real life Brick Heck. Wonderful!
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #55
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Count me in as another one who constantly heard, "Oh that one is a little advanced for you dear, perhaps you'd like this one instead?"
Me too!
Fortunately (as I sort of mentioned before) two of my older brothers (8 and 14 years older) had great confidence in "little sis's" abilities and kept giving me books to "challenge" me. And I loved it!
When I said "I don't understand" they said "keep reading and you might" or they tried to explain.

Kids grow when people believe in them!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #56
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I was a wee lad, I used to read Doc Savage novels. One of the main characters, Johnny, would never use a small word when he could use a few jaw-breakers instead. So I grew up reading phrases like "an ultra-ambiguous conundrum," "a truly prodigious agendum" and "I'll aid in the extermination of the enemy with complacency," and worse, on a regular basis.

Then there was Ray Bradbury, and his poetic style of writing. Between the two, I picked up new vocabulary fast and early. And always being interested in general science, I was exposed to more exotic words early as well.

I'm not saying I have a huge vocabulary... just that it developed early and well, making it easy to keep up with the rest as I got older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
my word of the moment is 'misandry', which is the hatred of men. i'm just looking for an opportunity to use it.
(Quietly leaves the room for awhile)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Pulpmeister hit one of my 'What doe that mean?'
Agatha Christy was forever using 'British-isms that confound us Yanks
(and we are not talking about the spelling differences )

BTW I am not for Americanization of those books.
I just need an en-UK -> en-US decoder ring
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #58
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Who else had a mom who made them get the dictionary every time they ran into a word they didn't know?
when my kids were little, we used to play a game with my Random House Unabridged Dictionary where we'd open it randomly and learn new words.

My son was denied special services (he's got some cognitive disabilities) at his school because his working vocabulary was too big.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #59
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat someone. This is a rule meant to be used for elementary school students who are still learning reading skills and strategies. If a student picks up a book and can't read(aka decode) 5 words on a page, then the book may be too hard for them to read. Now, if they WANT to read it, I say go ahead and try it! It was not meant (from my teacher perspective) to be aimed at full readers who have access to dictionaries and can use context clues to figure out meanings of words. Simply to keep kids from giving up on reading because they are picking out books that are too hard right now.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'm pretty old and only read in English. So far I haven't used the dictionary. (2 years with ereader).

I do wish I understood more French though. The French in Canada seem to laugh a lot more than the non-French.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote