Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #616
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In my case my parents finally broke down and bought a TV to stop me reading... Did it work? Not at all!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #617
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Calculating by just the screen size, aura HD offers 28.4% more screen space.
6.8" and 6" are diagonal lengths. So to make comparison between these screen sizes, we apply this approximate method = (6.8 x 6.8)/ (6 x 6) = 1.28444

Also higher resolution means that smaller font will be more crisp & clear.
So we will be able to read comfortably about 30-40% more amount of text than a 6 inch ereader
What's the point of a larger display when such a large amount of blank space is left at the bottom?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #618
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
What's the point of a larger display when such a large amount of blank space is left at the bottom?
That's kind of what I've been asking myself right now. The top of the page is so close to the top that you get a shadow over the first line of text from the bezel, but on the book I'm testing things with right now there's a variable 1/2" to 1" from the last line of text to the bottom of the screen that's just blank except for the page counter (which only takes one line).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #619
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's kind of what I've been asking myself right now. The top of the page is so close to the top that you get a shadow over the first line of text from the bezel, but on the book I'm testing things with right now there's a variable 1/2" to 1" from the last line of text to the bottom of the screen that's just blank except for the page counter (which only takes one line).
There will always be some fixed space at the bottom where the page number is, but the space at the top can be adjusted by setting the page margins, and the variable space at the bottom removed by setting orphans/widows to zero, in the book's .css stylesheet.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #620
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There will always be some fixed space at the bottom where the page number is, but the space at the top can be adjusted by setting the page margins, and the variable space at the bottom removed by setting orphans/widows to zero, in the book's .css stylesheet.
That'll probably be fine for me personally in the long run, but right now I'm working on a review and a lot of the readers aren't the type who are going to want to have to tweak things (of course they also might not care about the space anyway). I'm actually probably fine with the top margin I'm getting it's just that things look extra out of whack because of the large bottom space and from what I'm reading from others even if the variable space bottom deal isn't an issue there's still a huge amount of space at the bottom (the pages counter only takes up one line).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #621
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

OK, I did widows and orphans set to zero and it's definitely better (got two more lines of text) than the variable space. Attached are before and afters of the same page (sorry for the cruddy pics). I assume the still pretty large space in the after pic is what I have to learn to live with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	105017   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	105018  
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #622
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Good sales of this product will cause competition to launch a product with same screen size and resolution. Then we both shall buy the product which doesn't leave blank space at the bottom.So i support this product with my soul

If everyone complains about this issue to Kobo then they might rectify it in their firmware update
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #623
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
OK, I did widows and orphans set to zero and it's definitely better (got two more lines of text) than the variable space. Attached are before and afters of the same page (sorry for the cruddy pics). I assume the still pretty large space in the after pic is what I have to learn to live with?
The space in the second picture still looks bigger than it does on my Glo, but I use a larger font where there would not be enough room to fit another line of text without touching the page number, so it might just be a matter of proportion.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #624
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is still too large and odd looking with the disproportionate margins. It's o.k. on the Mini but that would drive me nuts on any of their larger ereaders. With a custom compact font installed on my PW I bet I have the same number of words per page displayed and it looks far better. And why should one have to manually edit every epub to improve formatting? (and it still doesn't look good)

Last edited by Skydog; 04-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #625
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I don't know whether you will have to get used to it, as I have seen some files with text farther down proportionately on my Mini.

Being curious I selected two paper books at random and found one to be very uniform and the other to have very uneven bottom margins. gaaps of as much as 2 inches mid paragraph no less.

I doubt I would have noticed if I was not looking for a particular reason.

Anyway post us a link to your review when it is finished.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #626
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Good sales of this product will cause competition to launch a product with same screen size and resolution. Then we both shall buy the product which doesn't leave blank space at the bottom.So i support this product with my soul
I hope you are right!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #627
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Others have commented, but tap the middle of the screen and bring the bottom menu up. The line across is the bottom of the text area. The gap there is the one you can affect with changes to fonts and spacing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #628
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Others have commented, but tap the middle of the screen and bring the bottom menu up. The line across is the bottom of the text area. The gap there is the one you can affect with changes to fonts and spacing.
I guess I still don't understand. I can't think of any other reader or app that does things this way and they all work perfectly fine. I know some of it is just getting used to a new setup (took me awhile to get used to my first Kindle when coming from a Sony 505), I'm just struggling with it right now and trying to make sense of things.

I've tried all of the different fonts. I've increased the size up and down. Nothing is changing the size of that space. I like the page just the way it is for the most part, it's just that the big 'white space' is distracting me.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-27-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #629
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I've tried all of the different fonts. I've increased the size up and down. Nothing is changing the size of that space. I like the page just the way it is for the most part, it's just that the big 'white space' is distracting me.
It is actually a rather minor thing. I would suggest setting that issue aside and trying to actually enjoy the device. (Well, the widow/orphan bit isn't so minor. But the extra space that's left open for the toolbar is.)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #630
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I guess I still don't understand. I can't think of any other reader or app that does things this way and they all work perfectly fine. I know some of it is just getting used to a new setup (took me awhile to get used to my first Kindle when coming from a Sony 505), I'm just struggling with it right now and trying to make sense of things.
Lots of applications have a status bar across the bottom of the screen/window. That is what this is. But, because Kobo they doesn't draw a line across the top of this area, it is hard to see where the text area finishes and where the status area starts. They also use it for the bottom menu, which does have a line across it. That is why suggested opening the menu. The line will show the bottom of the text area. I use that as guide to work out there is any vertical space I can reclaim.

Apart from permanent page display, which I want, I think Kobo reserve this area because of the highlighting function. When this is active, a menu is displayed and doesn't cover any of the text. That means that while using this function, all the text on the page is visible and can be selected.

But, I do think Kobo could reduce the size of this area. My largish fingers need a bit of room for the icons, but reducing it by about a third should work.
Quote:
I don't have an AuraHD to test with. On the Glo, I can get the gap between the last line of text and the line mentioned above to be less then a line of text. This is by setting the top and bottom margins for the paragraphs and page to zero. On some pages it is a little bigger or smaller, but that is because something on the page was a bit bigger. Usually this is the heading, or a break in the text.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote