Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 AM   #46
opalflame
opalflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I seem to be having a weird issue and can't seem to find anyone else out these with this issue. I have an unrooted vox, haven't messed with most of the settings but have had several issues not the least being sleep death. But lately I have been having it where none of my changes I make to it save when it is turned off and on. If I have changed bookmarks, or apps, wallpapers or even books, when the kobo is reset at some point everything is as it was when I first turned it on last. I even tried a factory reset and after trying it from both the menu and from power off volume + it still goes back exactly the same. Does anyone have any idea why? or how I can reset it, nothing is so bad I can't re download an app or two

Edit: I also am completely unable to update it as well, I search for and find update, but it keeps saying corrupt file please help ; ; I love my kobo and just want it to work

Last edited by opalflame; 12-17-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: not able to update either
opalflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #47
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
@opalflame

Your problem with the vox not saving any settings sounds familiar. I thought someone mentioned it in another thread and there was a suggested fix but I am unable to find it with the forum search. Hopefully, if my memory is not completely unreliable, someone else will chime in.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #48
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Sorry chaps, busy week. Updating the thread now. As usual, thanks, everyone!
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #49
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Since the update, the only way to turn my Vox on from a completely off state is with a reset. (the hold for 10 seconds than 3 seconds kind)
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #50
Mbh
Mbh began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Opalflame, it sounds like you and I are having similar or the same issues. I cannot update, factory reset, delete apps or files, save changes to my settings. Its like my vox is stuck in the state it was about 3weeks ago. I'm pretty frustrated with this and regretting the purchase. I called support a few days ago and am waiting a response from the tech team.
Mbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #51
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
How about the bug that causes Kobo to delete or forget your bookmark. More times then not when I open up my book after Kobo has been shut down I find no bookmark. Very Very frustrating. I have to memorize my last spot every time because I know Kobo will lose my bookmark
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #52
Alantra
Enthusiast
Alantra began at the beginning.

Hi all,

My daughter and I both got a Vox for Christmas. Hers is fine, mine is not.

I have had the application bar crash thing and I think I have the sleep death problem.

I followed some instructions on how to get it working after the application bar failed. But now it is freezing upon waking. I can't slide the lock button over or do anything.

I also have no idea what rooted means??

So what do I do? Is this a faulty machine? Should I exchange it?

Thanks, Lori
Alantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #53
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

I have an update on the sleep of death bug.

It seems like in my Kobo works completely fine when wireless is on (adjusted sleep policy for "always on"). When I try manually turning off the wireless either using airplane mode, or just deselecting the Wifi through the Power Controls widget, the Kobo will crash within a few minutes. THis used to be the safe haven fix in earlier firmware versions, but not the current one.

Unfortunately wi-fi is a bit of a power drain, so that kind of sucks... anyways I hope the kobo developers are working towards getting that fixed!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
This is not the same sort of bug everyone has been talking about, but it seems to me that the progress slider and percentage into book that is displayed in the Kobo Reader is off. There's no way I could be either at 28% into a book when I'm half way into the first chapter and what is the slider telling me when it half way?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #55
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
This is not the same sort of bug everyone has been talking about, but it seems to me that the progress slider and percentage into book that is displayed in the Kobo Reader is off. There's no way I could be either at 28% into a book when I'm half way into the first chapter and what is the slider telling me when it half way?
I think the slider is showing how far through the current chapter you are
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Don't know if this has been discovered yet (I don't see it in searching for it) so here it is.

I have noticed that the email program does not respect the reply to address provided. For example, when I receive an email from a listing I have on Kijiji, the email comes from post@kijiji.ca, but the reply to field is the person who filled the form out. If I reply to the email in Outlook, or GMail, the reply goes to the address in the reply to field. If I reply using my Vox, it goes to post@kijiji.ca and the person trying to communicate with me never gets my email.
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #57
shogun111
shogun111 began at the beginning.

Smile Sleep of death is gone!

My Vox was working fine, up until the March 2 update. When the notification came up, I elected to download the update rather than run it right then. When it finished downloading, it said to restart my Vox to install the update.

Well, and I don't know if this was the problem, when I held down the power button, I was also holding the volume + button, triggering a reset! There were options for getting out of it but I figured Why not.

After the reset, and the update, all my downloaded apps had disappeared, all my non-Kobo books did not show up, and my library had to be re-downloaded from Kobo. But worst of all, my Kobo now had the Sleep of Death!

Putting it to sleep for 30 seconds was fine - everything came back. However, a sleep of 5 minutes caused my Vox to freeze up - unlock slider wouldn't work, or if it did, the home desktop page was unresponsive. And when I did restart, with the 10 s power button, the WiFi was turned off.

UGLY! Now I had the dreaded "Sleep of Death". Did the update cause it or my accidental hard reset? No idea.

I tried everything I could, from reset in the Kobo Ereader settings, to the deeper reset in the Privacy settings menu. I took the back off and pushed the recessed reset button. Ultimately the Kobo was still cooked. Tried to reinstall the update - couldn't figure out how.

THEN I took the back off and unplugged the battery with a jewelers' screwdriver. Pushed the power button in case there was still some residual power in a capacitor somewhere, and reconnected the battery.

HOORAY! Everything is back to normal! Can sleep for any amount of time and the Vox still wakes up. I have seen the "wake from sleep" once, but the brief flash of light is a minor issue.

BTW, if you do a hard reset, you don't have to download everything again. Using Astro file manager, I located most of my previous app downloads and reinstalled easily. And my sideloaded books were still there, just had to be imported.

A happy camper again!
Shogun111
shogun111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #58
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

I'm running the latest updates and my Vox is rooted...

With OogleVox enabled (Access to Google Market) I noticed my Vox exhibiting the "Wake From Sleep/'Sleep Death'" problem.

With OogleVox disabled (no access to Google Market) I notice the problem went away.
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #59
StPaddy
StPaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Nook
Erroneous "Free Preview" Banner on Purchased Books

After the March 2012 release, previously purchased books are appearing on the Vox with the "Free Preview" banner.

Kobo support advised to delete/sync/undelete/sync to correct the banner problem. This worked for the books but only temporarily. The banners reappeared the next day when synching the library.

StPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #60
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
How about the bug that causes Kobo to delete or forget your bookmark. More times then not when I open up my book after Kobo has been shut down I find no bookmark. Very Very frustrating. I have to memorize my last spot every time because I know Kobo will lose my bookmark
I also started to experience this but only after the March 2nd update.

It seems as though my rather perfectly working Vox encountered a number of bugs only after the March 2nd update. I now also have wake from sleep issues, my battery life seems to be a lot shorter even in airplane mode (likely a result of wake from sleep), when I want to share something to Facebook I constantly have to log out and then back in to rid myself of an error message, and I have just recently experienced an issue with Kobo keeping my bookmarks.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote