Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #46
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Look what y'all made me do. I went and impulse bought another Voyage from eBay
I have 4 so I can only applaud you.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
The more Kindles you have, the more you need to keep them charged thanks to Amazon not allowing you to turn them off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #48
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The more Kindles you have, the more you need to keep them charged thanks to Amazon not allowing you to turn them off.
I have 3 Voyages and all of them are currently turned off.

Oases and PW4s do not need to be turned off.

Any jailbroken kindle can be turned off.

Any kindle with firmware earlier than 5.13.5 can be easily jailbroken.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have 3 Voyages and all of them are currently turned off.

Oases and PW4s do not need to be turned off.

Any jailbroken kindle can be turned off.

Any kindle with firmware earlier than 5.13.5 can be easily jailbroken.
But if you don't have a jailbroken Kindle which most people do not, then turning off a Kindle is no happening.

If you aren't using them, an Oasis and a PW4 do need to be turned off or eventually they will go flat.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #50
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

If you aren't using them, an Oasis and a PW4 do need to be turned off or eventually they will go flat.
As will any device eventually, turned off or not. My Oasis 2 held a charge about 5-6 months, unused, and still had some left when I charged it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #51
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They most certainly do not need to be turned off. They hibernate, which uses very little more battery than when off. In return, they do not need to boot when you wake them up.

So, by your logic, Kobos are no good because they do not hibernate.

When are you going to realize that you know less than you think you know.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
OK, class. Today we are going to study qualifiers. Billy, throw that gum away this instant! This instant, I say! NO, not in Betty's hair! You may be excused to go to the bathroom, Betty. Sally, quit sending notes to Harry. Harry, throw the note away! It's not a basketball, Harry. Go and pick up the note and gently put it in the trash. Who made that noise? I want all noises to stop this instant! This instant, I say! Now, where was I? Put your hand down Bobby: You may go to the bathroom when Sally returns. Now, why do so many people feel that Kobo ereaders are so bad? Well, have any of you ever visited M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶P̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ MobileRead? In my experience, it seems as if everyone there is looking for a firmware image to be emailed to them because they've bricked their Kobos! No, Tommy, not that kind of brick. Your daddy did what? He wrote a song? What was the name of the song, Tommy? "You deserve a brick today, at McDonald's"? -- Very nice, Tommy. OK, here's what we need to remember, class:

"I feel that..."
"It is my belief that..."
"In my opinion..."
"I believe that..."

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-12-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They most certainly do not need to be turned off. They hibernate, which uses very little more battery than when off. In return, they do not need to boot when you wake them up.

So, by your logic, Kobos are no good because they do not hibernate.

When are you going to realize that you know less than you think you know.
So if you have spare Kindles that you do not use, eventually, they will run down and will need to be charged. It doesn't matter if they hyphenate or not. This will happen and you will need to charge.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #54
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
So if you have spare Kindles that you do not use, eventually, they will run down and will need to be charged. It doesn't matter if they hyphenate or not. This will happen and you will need to charge.
And if they're turned off, they will also run down at some point. No battery lasts forever, turned off or not.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #55
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
If you have spare kobos that you do not use they will run down and will need to be charged. It doesn't matter that they are not kindles.