Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other blogs have said it's an HD screen. Well, we'll see when it's released what it really is. If it is only 800x600, then it's no better (hardware wise).
This has been in the firmware for long time. The firmware has it as 800x600.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #32
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I would rather it had external uSD card slot and was a 5 inch reader. 5 inch readers are very handy. People that see mine want one. Make it with front light and sell them in military stores. They would sell well.
hear, hear
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #33
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
IMHO this basic reader is too expensive $50 for an entry level device would be reasonable.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #34
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Touch 2.0 launched in IFA 2015, the good news there is front-light in Touch 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VqmusbKNk4

EDIT: The res is 800x600
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	141814  

Last edited by oren64; 09-07-2015 at 05:41 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't think the Touch has a front-light. See http://www.techtimes.com/articles/82...d-e-reader.htm

Quote:
Beyond that, the device is pretty much a dead ringer for the 1.0. There's still no screen illumination - you'll have to pick up a Glo for that. Which, honestly, feels like it ought to just be a standard e-reader feature already.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #36
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I don't think the Touch has a front-light. See http://www.techtimes.com/articles/82...d-e-reader.htm
You maybe right, I don't speak Italian or German.

In these video there is no front-light in touch-2.0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzRNj0t_Zk

EDIT:I'ts look like it work on a new FW, so 3.18 coming soon.

Last edited by oren64; 09-07-2015 at 04:06 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually it will come with 3.17.3
Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #38
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
Just got an e-mail announcing the Touch 2.0. I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed in Kobo. This is essentially the same as a Kindle Basic except that it costs $10 more. How this makes sense I'm unsure.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #39
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kindle Basic with advertising is $79 US Dollars without advertising it is $99 US Dollars. Exchange rate increases price in Canadian Dollars making Kobo Touch 2.0 price a little lower than Kindle Basic.

Many other things including book prices and Amazon Kindle book format are different.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #40
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
In the US, yes. In Canada however, the Kindle Basic is $79CDN with no ads.

I just went looking at Kobo's complete lineup, and the price of the 2.0 makes a little more sense to me now.

The original Touch is still on sale at $79. Then comes the 2.0 @ 89. After that the Aura appears to be on permanent sale @ $99. Then comes the Glo (now available only in Hot Pink) and the Glo HD @ $129. Finally the H2O is at $179.

I think Kobo wants to get rid of their Touch 1.0 stock, but instead of reducing the price further they've just made sure the Touch 2.0 isn't competing with it. The thing is though, if you go digging for detailed hardware specs the Kindle Basic is definitely a superior piece of hardware then the Touch 1.0. *sigh*

I'm now a bit curious about Kobo's new Flip Cover. It'll be interesting to see if anyone around here gets one; I'd like to know how it feels in real-world use.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Added a wiki entry for this device: Kobo Touch 2.0

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I
I'm now a bit curious about Kobo's new Flip Cover. It'll be interesting to see if anyone around here gets one; I'd like to know how it feels in real-world use.
"Flip Cover"? I don't think I have seen this. I have the Glo HD Sleepcover. The packaging says it is for the Touch 2 as well. The Kobo store that I see doesn't have another cover, but it doesn't show the Touch 2 yet.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

See https://ca.kobobooks.com/collections...obo-flip-cover

The Sleepcover is https://ca.kobobooks.com/collections...-hd-sleepcover

I'll have to check out a local store this weekend and see if they have them in stock.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
See https://ca.kobobooks.com/collections...obo-flip-cover

The Sleepcover is https://ca.kobobooks.com/collections...-hd-sleepcover

I'll have to check out a local store this weekend and see if they have them in stock.
I think I better stay away from the shops just in case they do have one
Old 09-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Kobo Touch 2 and calibre

Calibre 2.38 has just been released. This includes support for the Touch 2.

Note: I don't have a Touch 2 to test with. My testing is done by getting calibre to see my Touch as a Touch 2. As the devices share the firmware and screen size, this should be enough. But, if anyone with a Touch 2 sees a problem, please report it.