Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Why not find it out yourself? Either by following the seller via amazon or by visiting their homepage? (According to their homepage they sell it via amazon.co.uk, ~.de and ~.it).
Huh? When I said I wonder if they "... will start selling some of their other devices here?" ... I already knew they weren't now selling them here (in the U.S.). A closer look shows me that it's not Onyx, themselves, who are selling the Lynx at Amazon, it's a dealer -- apparently a big dealer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #62
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet54 View Post
I bought one from Amazon and am returning it. The page turning drove me nuts. It jumbles all up then clears up and only takes a second but it was too much for me.

The nice thing was that the kindle app whispersync worked well on the Kindle app.

Scribd would load to a blank page and I had to always hit the back button to get to my read list but then again the page turning was horrible and slow.

The next buttons did not work on the reading apps as well, it had to be touch. I was looking forward to getting buttons back. They are on the right track track but my Paperwhite wins out for eink for me.

It is close and if they could fix that page problem I would of kept it.
Was it the kindle page turn problem? I just saw on Amazon.com someone said
"The pre-installed reading software won't read DRMed Kindle eBooks, but you can download the Android Kindle app from Google Play. It works as expected provided you select the correct page refresh mode."
Did you try all refresh modes?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I bought one from Amazon and am returning it. The page turning drove me nuts. It jumbles all up then clears up and only takes a second but it was too much for me.
That's odd. I thought the way an e-Ink screen refreshed was pretty much the function of the e-Ink screen. I'll have to see if I can find YouTube video review so I can see how obnoxious this would be. I wonder if the Storia would have the same technology.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #64
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Was it the kindle page turn problem? I just saw on Amazon.com someone said
"The pre-installed reading software won't read DRMed Kindle eBooks, but you can download the Android Kindle app from Google Play. It works as expected provided you select the correct page refresh mode."
Did you try all refresh modes?
Hi,
Yes, I tried all the refresh modes.
I did download the kindle app from the play store as well as the Scribd app. It did the same thing on the page turn in scribd books as well. I played for several hours with it. It shows it on the youtube video linked above, his comment was it was not a big thing for him but it kept me from "disappearing" into the book.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #65
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Hi,
I did download the kindle app from the play store as well as the Scribd app. It did the same thing on the page turn in scribd books as well. I played for several hours with it. It shows it on the youtube video linked above, his comment was it was not a big thing for him but it kept me from "disappearing" into the book.
It looks pretty bad to me too. I think it is because you can't turn off page animation in the Kindle app. It doesn't look like you can turn off animation in Scribd either.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #66
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That would bug me also. Did you test any non-Kindle books on Lynx before sending it back? Just curious.

EDIT: After reading through about half of these question and answers about the Lynx, I think my interest in Onyx Boox line has lowered. It looks like it's an Android e-Ink tablet first, eReader second. I like it to be the other way around.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0.../#.U636d9Sx15S

Last edited by rcentros; 06-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #67
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Oh This is sooooo close to what I want. Eink, Android, audio, and tts. But no speaker!!! I don't want to use headphones for tts. Why must the gods torment me.
you could get a speaker since it has audio jack and bluetooth

here is a $40 bluetooth rechargeable speaker : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JGR9MO/ ... looks like you might even find bluetooth rechargeable speaker under $20 : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pr...price-asc-rank
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #68
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That would bug me also. Did you test any non-Kindle books on Lynx before sending it back? Just curious.

EDIT: After reading through about half of these question and answers about the Lynx, I think my interest in Onyx Boox line has lowered. It looks like it's an Android e-Ink tablet first, eReader second. I like it to be the other way around.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0.../#.U636d9Sx15S
No, I did not. I only read Kindle and scribd and library loan (through kindle).
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #69
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just had a shipping notification saying it's due to be delivered (by UPS) on Tuesday.
Mine is due the same day. Purchased through Amazon for $200 including S&H. Interestng device - comes pre-loaded with Cool Reader, FBReader and AlReader.

Regardx-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #70
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then the review goes on to fill the video about some bible app instead of how good the reader really is.
Weird. It might be just me, but there seem to be quite some people who are reading bibles on e-readers. There are a few on MobileRead as well I've noticed In the past several weeks, I've met a few people who said that they couldn't do X or Y becuase they were attending "Bible Study Sessions", whatever that may be... in the Netherlands, of all places, where few people concern themselves with faith, nowadays.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's selling for €179 in the EU, which seems reasonable enough for what it is. I'm quite tempted by it myself.
At this point, there is one thing that would keep me from switching away from a Kindle, and that's page numbering. The Count Pages plugin in calibre gives me very useful page numbers that give me an accurate reflection of how "thick" a paperback might have been, and CP/calibre are able to transfer this custom page count to the Kindle when transferring the book.

Combined with the latest Kindle update that displays the page number on the lower left, I'm quite happy.

I wonder if there is an application that supports Kindle page counts.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #72
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Couldn't resist it - I've just ordered one (from onyx-boox.com). €189.81, with shipping.
Why didn't you order it from Amazon.co.uk? Shipping is free, and when converted to euro's, it would be €185. If something is wrong, I'd rather send it back to Amazon than to some manufacturer or store with which I don't have any experience.

Please, do tell us what you think, and which apps you tried. While my Kindle works fine, I WOULD like to have an e-reader that is a tad larger, and have multiple reading apps to choose from.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why didn't you order it from Amazon.co.uk?
Because it wasn't available from amazon.co.uk at the time I placed my order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #74
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because it wasn't available from amazon.co.uk at the time I placed my order.
Ah, that would be a very logical reason

A good review in German:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNvtuCp7F4

The one thing I don't like, on first sight, is the huge lower part that houses the five way button; which is too eye catching and distracting (it has an LED in it, as well). It should have been a lot less conspicuous.

Also, is there already a sleep cover available for this device; does it actually support sleep covers, or is this not known yet? That became a very handy feature in public transport. (I could live without it obviously, but it -is- handy.)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I asked onyx-boox about cases, and they said that they should be on sale in a couple of weeks. I don't know whether or not it support magnetic sleep. It is a very useful feature, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote