Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Suggestion : backup the "original" content

Hi folks, Kovid !

I have a suggestion : it would be great to be able to mark a specific content in a book as "original", making it easy to revert to the original publisher version, in case of a bad conversion.

Explanation : if I download a nicely formatted ePub book from, say, FeedBooks, and then I want to simply change the fonts, or maybe reformat it in another way, I run the Calibre ePub converter with specific fonts/CSS settings ; however, after conversion, the original ePub file coming from the publisher (in this case, Feedbooks) will be lost. If I change my mind, or want to change the font size again, or the codepage, I better have a backup or else I'll convert FROM the new ePub file I generated before...

Is this something possible ?

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Umm, any file you put in Calibre is copied for exactly this reason (much to the annoyance of other users who don't like that). The original ePub is still wherever it was and can remain so. I have a directory of originals wholly seperate from my Calibre Library.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Well, I understand that ; the problem is, these files are not inline with the Calibre library, making finding them when you need them, and from the Calibre interface, cumbersome at the least...

I wanted to keep a file in Calibre, so it would be associated with the managed book (as a concept). For the moment, I achieved a median solution by copying the origina file to a new xxxx.epub.orig file, and then adding it to Calibre, which keeps it in its database even if it doesn't know which format it is in.

It would be great to integrate this in Calibre interface, and to be able to make a backup of a specific format (designating it the original), and restore this backup (therefore getting this format back to what it was first).

Or wouldn't it ?

Cheers,
David.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually i would like this feature as well.

similarly, it would be brilliant to have some way to add a marker to the title of an individual file to specify format (sometimes i want to compare two different formats) or version number (if i'm making a lot of revisions) without creating a separate entry in the database.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just a note, the way i usually handle this is to open the repertory from calibre and manually transfer my original / versions to a new folder inside it. this way it's not shown in the interface but at least everything is all together.
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
These features are important for people that do a lot of converting, but they would lead to interface clutter for most users of calibre, that don't really care.

Still, opena ticket and if I can come up with an elegant way to implement it, I might do it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

thank you kovid ! i will let david open the ticket since it's his request but i appreciate the attention.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I already have a ticket for something similar here
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Thanks, I added a comment to your ticket !
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

i added my comment as well.