Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am giving two votes each to:

Stenger
Didion
Eliot

I will reserve my other three votes for later stages.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:39 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
My votes:

-2 to Two Old Women
-2 to The Year of Magical Thinking
-2 to The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
-1 to Angle of Repose
-1 to Drums of Mer
-1 to For the Term of His Natural Life

I really like the sample I read of Two Old Women and the description, coming out of nowhere as I'd never heard of it before. I've also been wanting to try Joan Didion forever and would love to read The Year of Magical Thinking. As well, The Thousand Autumns has been on my radar before because I've read two other Mitchell books, both for book clubs here- Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas. I like both (I loved Cloud Atlas), like his writing style and really like the description of this one.

The rest of my votes comes from a dearth of more to give. I've had Angle of Repose on my tbr forever and would love to read it. The sample of Drums of Mer pulled me in right away. I didn't really know about For the Term before the nomination, but I really like the idea of reading about early Australia as one of the convicts moved there. I loved Middlemarch, one of my favourite books, and haven't read any other Eliot so would love a chance to do so. As mentioned in the other thread, I love Robinson Crusoe, and this would be a great chance to revisit it. The main conflict in Concrete Island starts without narrative preamble in the sample and plunges right in.

As for An Island to Oneself, I would love to read it, but I didn't realise it wasn't an ebook. It's not against the guidelines or anything, but I would've probably nominated the Eco instead if I'd realised that, as even the used pbooks of An Island to Oneself seem rare-book level pricey. So, oops!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have to spend some time today to download samples. There are many new-to-me books on here.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
My choices are:

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner - 2
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - 2
Silas Marner by George Eliot - 2
Two Old Women by Velma Wallis - 1
For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke - 1
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell - 1
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was really difficult to make my choices this month. An excellent list!

Here are my votes:
Angel of Repose - 2
Year of Magical Thinking - 2
Silas Marner - 2
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - 1
Two Old Women - 1
For the Term of His Natural Life - 1
Old 09-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Close to a day left for voting!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 AM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

And, by unanimous consent, the winner is The Year of Magical Thinking! Everyone that voted gave it the maximum amount of votes possible. We now have our 100th selection and I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
And, by unanimous consent, the winner is The Year of Magical Thinking! Everyone that voted gave it the maximum amount of votes possible. We now have our 100th selection and I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
I could not be happier! I am a Didion disciple and love introducing people to her work. I will do a re-listen of the audiobook to prepare for the discussion.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

This book has been on my TBR for a long while. I’m looking forward to finally reading something by Didion.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I agree; I'm very excited for this.

Although, if the Mitchell had won, I was looking forward to saying something like:
The 1 winner of the 10 nominees for our selection 100 is The 1000 Autumns.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #26
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Looks like a very interesting read .

The Thousand Autumns and Two Old Women are now added to my "to read" pile, but as that is growing much faster than my getting through it is I will likely be around 180 years old by the time I get to them .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Looks like a very interesting read .

The Thousand Autumns and Two Old Women are now added to my "to read" pile, but as that is growing much faster than my getting through it is I will likely be around 180 years old by the time I get to them .
We can all relate to that!