Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Ninja_Noob
Ninja_Noob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Calibre crashing on startup...

Hi,

I've been trying to get Calibre to work correctly on my computer for a while and I just keep getting the same problem over and over...

The program seemingly installs fine (I've tried downloading the install file through both IE and Firefox with the same end result) and it starts to load up okay, but it'll only work for a second or two before I get the windows error pop up thing that tells me the program has stopped working. It happens every single time and even does the same thing with the debug program when i've tried to run that...

I've installed, uninstalled, rebooted, turned of anti virus and firewall programs, cleared out existing metadata, changed the install locations, etc, but nothing has worked.

I'm running a 32 bit Windows 7 system and i've attached a photo of the error I get... just imagine this 100 or so times over!

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I pull out all my hair or throw various things at my computer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre = hair loss....jpg
Views:	419
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	83422  
Ninja_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just made an installation on a full updated test machine with Win7X32, windows fire wall, Microsoft AV and Calibre 0.8.41. Everything works fine on my system.
Something seams to go wrong with your installation. I can give you only some general tips.
Uninstall Calibre again and delete the Calibre program folder in c:\programs (the name of calibre folder is at default "Calibre2"). Download the actual install file from Calibre's homepage to your desktop (after installation you can delete this file). Then launch the Calibre installer and install Calibre again with administrator-rights and follow the installation (use default location and choose your language). After installation let Calibre launches the program. You should find one book inside the clean database "Calibre Quick Start Guide" from "John Schember". If you see this file, your installation should work fine.
I do not know what firewall you are using, some firewalls ask you for rights during installation or first start of a new program. Please agree to give the requested rights for Calibre.
Hope, this will help you, good luck.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Have you read the calibre FAQ: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ck-on-anything
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Ah, didn't recognize this was already in the FAQ. I should take more often a look on it.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Ninja_Noob

Thanks for the ideas, but I had already tried what you said, as well as, reading and trying everything in the FAQ...

Today I tried the following :

- Installing from the alternate location
- Installing a previous version (0.7.28 I think)
- Excluding the whole calibre file from Norton
- Running everything with administrator rights

But i'm still getting the same problem. I've checked through Norton (my antivirus and firewall provision) and it doesn't have a problem with any of the files, and doesn't list anything as a threat, so it's not that.

I'm thinking that something on my machine is conflicting with the program, but it's be like looking for a needle in a haystack without a starting point to go from... (I only have one moniter plugged in and I use a Logitech mouse, so it's not either of those that you have listed in the manual as conflicting issues)

Any clues from this would be great but otherwise I may have to call it a lost cause...
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Just a suggestion, why not try installing the portable version and see if it still acts up with that? I recommend the one here:

http://portableapps.com/node/20518 (works better with multiple libraries).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Ninja_Noob

Just tried the portable version as you suggested ilovejedd and get the same problem, which reinforces the idea that it's something on my system stopping it from working...

Only problem is I have no clue what it could be!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Noob View Post
Just tried the portable version as you suggested ilovejedd and get the same problem, which reinforces the idea that it's something on my system stopping it from working...

bootup in safe mode then try calibre portable. If it works you have a problem with some other program. If it does not work then you have a problem with windows.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

It does appear as if that might be the case. Just to make sure, though, your anti-virus didn't delete or quarantine any of the Calibre files during installation, did it? What specific error message does it give you? I'm not on a Windows 7 machine right now but if you go to Administrative Tools or something, you should be able to find detailed error messages.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Ninja_Noob

I found the error report for the problem in the admin tools as you said ilovejedd and i've attached the screenshot... From that it seems like it has a problem with one of the programs dll files

I'll try the safe mode option next!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error report.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	83504  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Have you tried running Calibre as administrator?
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Ninja_Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Have you tried running Calibre as administrator?
Yes, I've tried both running the program and installing the program as an administrator...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Somehow, to my mind, a crash in freetype.dll would point to a corrupted font in the Windows font directory.

Maybe try some of the steps listed in http://www.ehow.com/how_6917418_corrupt-fonts.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Ninja_Noob

I've now tried the program in safe mode and it allowed me to get as far as pressing one button before I got the same error... While this is further than i've gotten before it's still crashing almost straight away, so not helpful!

As for the corruption in the windows font file, i've checked that and it doesn't seem that that is an issue. There does not appear to be any corrupt files there...
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I've now tried the program in safe mode and it allowed me to get as far as pressing one button before I got the same error... While this is further than i've gotten before it's still crashing almost straight away, so not helpful!

As for the corruption in the windows font file, i've checked that and it doesn't seem that that is an issue. There does not appear to be any corrupt files there...
Do a checkdisk of your hd--if dose not fix problem also do a root scan with a malware program for rootkits. Malwarebytes works well.

PeterT is right most likely a problem with a font.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, crashing, windows 7