Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Issachar
Issachar began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kobo & Calibre library over network

I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on an e-ink reader that can connect to a Calibre library over the internet.

Currently I use Aldiko on my Android phone to download books from my private calibre library, but an e-Ink screen would be a step up.

I'm in Canada, so I've looked at the Kobo, but I'm unable to get any information on connecting the Kobo, (or any other e-ink reader) to my Calibre library *using a wireless network*.

I'm told with some readers that I can sideload books with a USB cable, but that's a step back.

Has anyone managed to load up their Calibre library as a legitimate book source on a Kobo or other e-ink reader?
Issachar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, I use my Calibre as a source for my Kindle. Works a charm.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Issachar

Thanks. I'll check it out. I hadn't heard good things about the Kindle from Canadians, but I see you're on the sunshine coast. I think a calibre user's advice is probably more valuable than an ebook newbie's.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
While I mostly send books to my Kindle via Calibre's email feature, I also occasionally use the Kindle browser to get books via Calibre's content server without issues.
What exactly do Canadians tell you they have had a problem doing?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Issachar

It wasn't issues with the Kindle itself. It was issues with the Amazon store. I suspect it's a simple preference for the Kobo store and it's connection to Chapters.

Other than the lack of support for epub, I'm not aware of anything else.
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Canadians see a different Kindle store than US residents, and have a narrower selection. However, it's not particularly difficult for most Canadians to create a US Amazon account and use that for eBook purchases. It's what I do. And I maintain a Canadian Kobo account for those few books that aren't available to US residents. (It's a nuisance to change your country for Amazon Kindle, otherwise I would do it that way. ) I just strip the DRM from the Kobo purchase and convert it to MOBI format for the Kindle.

Overall, I much prefer the Amazon Kindle store to the Kobo store. It's easier to find what I want, and easier to buy stuff from it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
I have a Kobo Touch and have accessed the Content Server with the built in web browser. I don't use it often as I have to charge the Kobo anyway so I usually use a usb cable - but it is definitely possible to set up.

From Calibre's help pages:

"calibre has a Content Server that exports the books in calibre as a web page. You can turn it on under Preferences->Network->Sharing over the net. Then just point the web browser on your device to the computer running the Content Server and you will be able to browse your book collection. For example, if the computer running the server has IP address 63.45.128.5, in the browser, you would type:

http://63.45.128.5:8080 Some devices, like the Kindle (1/2/DX), do not allow you to access port 8080 (the default port on which the content server runs. In that case, change the port in the calibre Preferences to 80. (On some operating systems, you may not be able to run the server on a port number less than 1024 because of security settings. In this case the simplest solution is to adjust your router to forward requests on port 80 to port 8080)."

Last edited by yhamm; 12-19-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: url example had a typo
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I, too, connect to Calibre wirelessly using my Kobo Touch.

To find the IP address of the computer with your Calibre collection (each computer in your house will have a separate IP address):

- from the start menu select "run" (on windows 7, typing "run" into the search box will find the "run" application for you)

- type cmd and click on "ok"

- in the Dos window that pops open, type ipconfig and hit "enter"

- Looking at my husband's XP computer, the IP address is listed beside "IP address". On my Windows 7 machine it's listed beside "IPv4 Address". You need to use this IP address, and not the one that says "Default Gateway".

Just open the Kobo web browser (I assume this also holds true for other ereaders) and into the address url enter what yhamm has stated:

http://youripaddress:8080

As long as Calibre is running on your computer, and you've remembered to start the content server, Kobo will see your library. I have my Calibre library set up as my home page on my Kobo web browser (and have my husband's also under favorites since we keep separate libraries on our separate computers.)

Last edited by Suzanna; 12-20-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote