Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #31
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
How do we know they are going to announce it at the fair?

Myself I have a very weird suspicion that Amazon are about to kill the ebook reader market with an ugly looking reader, no publicity at all and locking the device to a specific format (azw) that nobody heard about. After that they will be able to say: See I told you that ebook thing won't catch. Now we can go back to selling real books!!!

....Or maybe my brain is dying starvation and lack of info on the kindle.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I suppose they could all still be writing it up ... but I'd've expected some sort of word to show up somewhere if it had popped loose.

Wait, has anyone checked Amazon yet? If they did announce, surely there would be something there.

Be right back ....
I am keeping an eye on Amazon. Nothing new yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nope, nothing on the homepage, nothing at amazon.com/kindle.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #34
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Myself I have a very weird suspicion that Amazon are about to kill the ebook reader market with an ugly looking reader, no publicity at all and locking the device to a specific format (azw) that nobody heard about. After that they will be able to say: See I told you that ebook thing won't catch. Now we can go back to selling real books!!!
Wow. That's waaaay too cynical for me. I would hope you're quite wrong. But, hope is sometimes not worth much. Let's hope they just talked today about concepts and nebulous stuff at the book fair and will announce something substantial later.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
How do we know they are going to announce it at the fair?

....Or maybe my brain is dying starvation and lack of info on the kindle.
Two points:

Many titles they currently sell as e-documents can be found in the Google cache as also being offered in "Kindle edition".

Amazon is actually scheduled to do two presentations. The one today sounded like an industry presentation targeted at publishers. The one on Friday is described:

Quote:
This presentation will introduce you to Amazon’s current digital offerings and latest developments and show you how you can work with Amazon to increase the exposure and sale of your books.
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree that the second one sounds the more promising. Besides, I'm not sure they'd want to drop that bomb on day one (is it day 1?) of the fair ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #37
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, today is day one (night one now). It runs through Sunday.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 10-10-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #38
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I have really high hopes regarding the Kindle. I have sold my prs-500 because it of the hassle that was getting books to the reader. I'm meh about the new prs-505, (expected much more) and the Cybook that could easily have gotten my vote (html!!!! support) - lost it after I read what Derek went through. So the Kindle is really it for me, or so I hope.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #39
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lommel View Post
Yes, by all means, let's try to get any interested people to meet up at the show. So far it looks like just you and me, Alexander. That being the case, I'd say that the 13th looks unanimous. What time do you plan on arriving?
I think I'll be there around 10-11am
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #40
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Curious that Alex and Keith chose Saturday to attend. Curious and perhaps marvelous!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #41
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Curious that Alex and Keith chose Saturday to attend. Curious and perhaps marvelous!
Pure convenience I had to drive 500km today to get to Frankfurt, and I'll spend the next days there. The Book Fair will not be open to the general public before Saturday. Although I've been told that with our special interest in e-books we'd qualify as "trade visitors with credentials" which would allow us to also attend during the press days.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #42
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Excellent. Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Pure convenience I had to drive 500km today to get to Frankfurt, and I'll spend the next days there. The Book Fair will not be open to the general public before Saturday. Although I've been told that with our special interest in e-books we'd qualify as "trade visitors with credentials" which would allow us to also attend during the press days.
Really? I wish you had told me. I could have arranged to be in Frankfurt on Thursday (and possibly Friday).
Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #44
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I wasn't 100% sure if I could even come on Saturday due to a mix up in my schedule. Well, and tomorrow I've a dentist appointment ... anything bad could happen then...

Nate, would you've come straight from Virginia?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #45
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
we have members from all around the world on this forum, maybe we could have a special thread about those book fairs ?
Calendar: http://www.book-fair.com/en/index.ph...aeten/tlp.html

I'll be at the "Salon du livre" in March for example.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote