Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #151
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
That is what I have been doing. It's worked fine until today. Can you confim it still works for you for sideloaded books?
Just tried it and it is working fine. You did run the book through Calibre first correct?

Edited to add: I'm using Calibre 7.52

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 04-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #152
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Seems to work ok between Kindle iPhone and PC desktop, but not the actual Kindle device. Have there been any updates recently?
Just checked my version on Kindle. It is 3.1.

Is the WiFi on your Kindle working OK?

Carol
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #153
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Not sure if this is relevant but I know that iPhone OS 4.2.7 was just released and if you upgrading maybe that is causing issues? Just a guess. I have jailbroken my iPhone although from comments I read earlier that is not necessary to get the synch to work. I did it for other reasons.

Given there is no jailbreak for 4.2.7, I have not upgraded my OS at this time. Synching between Kindle and iPhone is still working for me with no problems.
I'm on version 4.3.2 on my iphone and it's working good for me. My phone is not jailbroken.

Carol
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #154
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
After playing with it some more, it does kind of work still but not reliably.

If you say sync to a certain location, flick back a few pages and then choose to Sync to Furthest Page is it supposed to take you back to where you were? It does this on iPhone and PC but on Kindle it will just say "You are already at the furthest location", which I am not.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #155
maxpower
maxpower began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this still working for everyone? It is working mostly for me, but I can’t get Kindle for PC to sync it’s furthest read location to the cloud. It will retrieve the furthest read location from other devices, but if I read on the PC it doesn’t save that furthest read location when I open on another device. I have tried manually hitting the sync button before closing but that doesn’t help. Any ideas?
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #156
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
@maxpower

Go to "Tools," "Options" in K4PC and make sure you have the option checked for "Annotations Backup."

The exact wording of that option is; "Automatically back up your device annotations and last page read at Amazon." At least that's how it's worded on v1.4.1.

If that is unchecked, K4PC will still pull the Last Page Read that other devices are sending to Amazon, but it won't push its own Last Page Read for the other devices to pull.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #157
Cadamus
Cadamus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, sorry to start here with a question, but I have downloaded the newest version of Calibre (0.8.3), and when I look at the metadata for books in mobi format, I don't see an ASIN I can change. I know it was mentioned earlier that Calibre might be using the UUID of the book to populate the ASIN. I assume that this means it is random, and not the actual ASIN of the book, or does it look that up, and simply not expose it?

If it is random, I assume you want to use mobi2mobi to edit the metadata to the right ASIN in the calibre library so that the book cover is accurate, if you don't manually edit that, right?

Or am I completely clueless?

Thanks!

Cad
Cadamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #158
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
You have things correct. Calibre does add an ASIN (based on UUID) when converting to mobi, unless the book already has one. It lacks, though, the ability to view/change the ASIN, though -- for that, you can use mobi2mobi, as you note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadamus View Post
Hi, sorry to start here with a question, but I have downloaded the newest version of Calibre (0.8.3), and when I look at the metadata for books in mobi format, I don't see an ASIN I can change. I know it was mentioned earlier that Calibre might be using the UUID of the book to populate the ASIN. I assume that this means it is random, and not the actual ASIN of the book, or does it look that up, and simply not expose it?

If it is random, I assume you want to use mobi2mobi to edit the metadata to the right ASIN in the calibre library so that the book cover is accurate, if you don't manually edit that, right?

Or am I completely clueless?

Thanks!

Cad
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #159
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

However... if you're only concerned with syncing your Furthest Read Page on non-Amazon mobi's (so you can keep your place while reading on multiple devices), you don't need the correct ASIN. You just need the same data in that ASIN metadata field on all copies of the file that you want to keep in sync. And the UUID that Calibre inserts is sufficient for that purpose.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #160
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
However... if you're only concerned with syncing your Furthest Read Page on non-Amazon mobi's (so you can keep your place while reading on multiple devices), you don't need the correct ASIN. You just need the same data in that ASIN metadata field on all copies of the file that you want to keep in sync. And the UUID that Calibre inserts is sufficient for that purpose.
Absolutely.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #161
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I've been playing a bit with this in both calibre and mobi2mobi. I got one book syncing between my android phone and my kindle, but when I sideloaded on my ipad it was no dice Then I tried another book on all three and it would not sync whatsoever. This would be most incredible if I could get it to work on a consistent basis.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #162
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Are people still getting this to work on sideloaded content on a reliable basis?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #163
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes.

It will only work on ebooks that you have converted with calibre. If the ebook is already a mobi, you still need to convert it with calibre: just do a mobi to mobi conversion. After conversion, put the exact same file on all devices you want to read it on.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #164
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes.

It will only work on ebooks that you have converted with calibre. If the ebook is already a mobi, you still need to convert it with calibre: just do a mobi to mobi conversion. After conversion, put the exact same file on all devices you want to read it on.
This is exactly what I do and I have had no problems.

Carol
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #165
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
This is exactly what I do and I have had no problems.

Carol
Me three and I have had no issues whatsoever syncing between iPhone, iPad2 and Kindle.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync